IGNORED

Don't Piss Off the Parts Seller Keeping Atari Machines Alive

bfollowell

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

I just think your rude and aggressive tone are mirroring the same tactics you are accusing BE of and I don’t get it

This bizarre circular reasoning does not compute (at all).

My tone (however you perceive it) is essentially irrelevant. Genuine (customer) accounts or experiences, however, are (whatever they may be).

• Like 1

I bought some atari lynx stuff from Best about 8 years ago, including a used Atari Lynx.  Some lynxes have circular shaped D pads and some have cross shaped D pads but the Best site simply said you could buy refurbished lynxes without distinguishing between the variant.  I specified that I wanted one with a circular shaped D pad.  Brad responded that he would "see what he could do".  I ultimately received a lynx with the circular shaped D pad that I wanted.

Reading about other's experiences and how simple it can be to be put on ignore list, I'm surprised that he was willing to accommodate my request. Guess I got lucky! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

This bizarre circular reasoning does not compute (at all).

My tone (however you perceive it) is essentially irrelevant. Genuine (customer) accounts or experiences, however, are (whatever they may be).

Basically, it's the owners business and he can conduct his business any way he wants. If he chooses to set all his stock on fire, he is obliged to make that decision. Likewise, if he chooses to tell you to exit via the same door you entered, and refuses to sell anything to you, he is well within his rights to do so.

Your insistence that a business owner should treat you as the self entitled individual you believe you are is the very problem with modern society today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, charliecron said:

Just calling him out on the "I never had a problem, nuff said" attitude. If you _know_ someone has kind of been unkind to lots of people, you should be able to say "that's wrong". Its real simple. Its common sense. 

Quote me where I said that anyone can't say "that's wrong".

Please...

43 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Your insistence that a business owner should treat you as the self entitled individual you believe you are

The only "insistence" here has been diversifying our supply sources (thus reducing dependence or exposure to arbitrary business practices, which, in essence, cannot be questioned).

It seems you missed most of the thread. Looks like you are going back to square-zero (no room for dystopian existential traumas, sorry).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

The only "insistence" here has been diversifying our supply sources (thus reducing dependence or exposure to arbitrary business practices, which, in essence, cannot be questioned).

It seems you missed most of the thread. Looks like you are going back to square-zero (no room for dystopian existential traumas, sorry).

Nope, I didn't miss any of this thread.

Again:

It's the owners business, if he wants to burn the whole lot to the ground, he can and he doesn't need your self entitled opinion to do so. If you came into my store, I'd have no problem showing you the door. I'm not that desperate for money.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

LOL arson- just isn't cool...

also consider that someone has mixed up capitalists with corporatists...  capitalism and corporatism are two different animals entirely...

They're both very closely related, one doesn't exist without the other.

It's not arson when it's stock you own and your intent isn't malicious.

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Stephen said:

Again I ask - what is "DBM"?

People are much to engaged in the subject to answer. ?

I’ll give it a try:

DBM - Department of Budget and Management

DBM - Demineralized Bone Matrix

DBM - Deadly Boss Mode

DBM - a French pop rock band

DBM - De Bellis Multitudinis (miniature game, only DBM I knew)

Not sure if any of these work?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, mdivancic said:

I’ll give it a try:

DBM - Deadly Boss Mode

We need multiple likes - I wanted a laugh and a thanks!

When I first saw this thread I thought I'll probably join in with the anti-Brad crowd, even thought I've never had any dealings with him, but because of kinda similar experiences with my local micro repair/seller crowd. But, upon actually reading the article, I must say I can't really see any fault with this guy - to the contrary. He seems like a "character", a real person from the heady days of real brick'n mortar shops, not some bland drone or automated checkout. It's something I sorely miss from the old days, even if sometimes it could mean inconvenience.

Most of the complaints in the article read as a #firstworldproblems list. Outdated website. Contact by email. One item per customer. Oh, my, for why can't it all be like Amazon?

But his rules actually seem to make sense, when you think about it and consider how niche hobby area he operates in, and that he's a one-man operation. Particularly the buy limits rule, considering the modern rise of the scalper species.

So, he's harsh (strict?) and can hold a grudge (has principles?)? Likes to do things his way? Humans do that, deal with it. Besides, the cases described there seem to be have been judged correctly. Of course, stuff like that might seem petty, but do recall that most of us do have a horror story (or 5) about dealing with a "timewaster" on ebay or local sites. Now try to imagine you have a case (or 5) like that on a regular basis, and it quickly becomes clearer why he might rather just ban somebody, than suffer any more foolishness. Ain't nobody got time for that, after all.

All that would be not that significant though, if he was guilty of the big one: premeditated hoarding, modern style. But no, he got all his stock back in the day, when nobody cared about it all, and people wouldn't pay 5 bucks in a flea market for a box of what is now considered priceless treasures. Seems he just had a bit more foresight and belief than everybody else - not a bad thing, methinks. So, I wish him all the best and hope he'll carry on for many years to come.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

It's the owners business, if he wants to burn the whole lot to the ground, he can and he doesn't need your self entitled opinion to do so. If you came into my store, I'd have no problem showing you the door. I'm not that desperate for money.

This really isn't the point though, even though someone brings it up every time we have one of these threads.

You're right of course, Brad can and will do as he pleases. And he does. Like I've repeatedly said, he's not a bad guy, by any means, and he's sitting on basically THE last parts stock.

The point is that it's got nothing to do with whether you're rude or not. It's about the collective frustration from the community that our last real parts supplier is an incredibly capricious, unreliable, and cranky guy. I personally wouldn't have an issue if his rules were clear and well defined. Like you said... it's his business, his rules. But they're not. You can get banned for paying an invoice to quick, asking for something he doesn't want to dig for. You can get banned for ordering the wrong combination of items, or for calling instead of emailing. Or emailing instead of calling. Or for emailing OR calling. Spin the wheel, win yer prize.

These threads are about the community's collective frustration with Brad's antics. The only reason he's able to stay in business is because he's the last supplier of much of this stuff. Much like Club 100 is for Model 100 users.

Denying that it's a problem is as useless as complaining. He's not gonna change. He's gonna keep doing this capricious nonsense. He's also your one and only supplier for many products. If you want them, you deal with him. I wish, as do many, that there were better options with better customer service, but there isn't. It is what it is.

So take these threads as what they are: community venting. And that venting is justifed, the man is very frustrating to do business with, some of the time.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We need multiple likes - I wanted a laugh and a thanks!

DBM.  If I told you, it would happen.  Some don't like what I say.  I have already been B'd before on certain areas....

Yet others, like in this thread seem to go on, and on, without threat....

16 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

And that venting is justifed,

Absolutely, and all of it irrespective of most (dysfunctional) apologetics and rationalizations of such business practices (which only re-inforce such behavior, and don't bring any other perspective to our community).

Fortunately, and as stated already on the thread, there ARE good solutions out-there for discrete repair or stocking needs.

For instance, I just completed my recent purchase of VLSI chips for upcoming PAL / NTSC convergence (will need ANTICs of both standards) and I happily did so by buying the quantity I wanted, no minimum order quota and paid with PayPal... NICE !!!

So there are options for either those that approve questionable customer handling (or prefer status quo), or for those that want something better !!

????

20 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

DBM.  If I told you, it would happen.  Some don't like what I say.  I have already been B'd before on certain areas....

Yet others, like in this thread seem to go on, and on, without threat....

Why would anyone in this thread have to be banned? Agree or disagree with the topic but I don’t think anyone has said anything that crosses any lines.

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

I’ll give it a try:

DBM - Deadly Boss Mode

Dave Batthews Mand?

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Your insistence that a business owner should treat you as the self entitled individual you believe you are is the very problem with modern society today.

Exactly, and I say that as someone who has also had to fire clients for being assholes.

I really don't understand what's so difficult about playing by someone else's rules in order to do business with them.  That's their decision, and if it hurts their business in the long run, it's their mistake to make.  But as the customer you always have the option of going somewhere else that treats you as you perceive that you should be treated.

• Like 2

DBM is quarter-circle Down to Back + Medium attack.

here is what i am trying to figure out.... where are the rules posted?

how does someone learn said rules? trial and error? read this entire forum? sift thru Best's crummy website?

I dont think anyone has problems with clear and concise rules (even if they're wonky).
But you should make them clear from jump street, or you'll have this clusterfuck.

The way I see it, Brad is just hurting himself. He must not like money.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

About 20 years ago I had a non-functioning atari 2600.  Brad told me which computer chip probably needed to be replaced.  I tested using another atari and

he was right about which chip.  I bought one from him with no problems along with some other stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draxxon said:

where are the rules posted?

how does someone learn said rules?

?

Now, if anyone here feels brave enough to navigate through that harrowing web site, and post back the page where one-by-one rules are enumerated, that would be a SOLID contribution to this thread (and the community)... instead of fabricating "mea-culpa", "self-entitlement", non-sensical arguments out of unresolved, internal conflicts (that have no place on this thread).

I will be waiting... ?

48 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I really don't understand what's so difficult about playing by someone else's rules in order to do business with them.  That's their decision, and if it hurts their business in the long run, it's their mistake to make.  But as the customer you always have the option of going somewhere else that treats you as you perceive that you should be treated.

What's so difficult? The rules are random, arbitrary and mood driven. They are not spelled out, simple to follow, or even internally consistent. And, sadly, you cannot go anywhere else for some parts. Brad's the only one selling them outside the occasional ebay seller at 10x the price.

Tell me how one is supposed to 'play by someones rules' when those rules are 1. Not explained or posted. 2. Arbitrary. and 3. Change based on the mood of the owner.

Yeah, it's his business. Yeah, I take mine elsewhere. But acting like it's 'simple' to business with Best shows you really haven't dealt with the stuff others have in this thread. I used to run retrogaming cons. I can't tell you the number of frustrated Atari people I've listened to vent about Best/Brad over the years.

That's the reason these threads keep popping up. It's frustrating, and you're stuck dealing with it if you order from Best. Hence the venting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mdivancic said:

DBM - Deadly Boss Mode

Decibell milliwatts. Keep the noise down!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Lord Thag said:

What's so difficult? The rules are random, arbitrary and mood driven. They are not spelled out, simple to follow, or even internally consistent. And, sadly, you cannot go anywhere else for some parts. Brad's the only one selling them outside the occasional ebay seller at 10x the price.

Tell me how one is supposed to 'play by someones rules' when those rules are 1. Not explained or posted. 2. Arbitrary. and 3. Change based on the mood of the owner.

Yeah, it's his business. Yeah, I take mine elsewhere. But acting like it's 'simple' to business with Best shows you really haven't dealt with the stuff others have in this thread. I used to run retrogaming cons. I can't tell you the number of frustrated Atari people I've listened to vent about Best/Brad over the years.

That's the reason these threads keep popping up. It's frustrating, and you're stuck dealing with it if you order from Best. Hence the venting.

I agree with you 100% on every point you're raising, and say that without any facetiousness or sarcasm on my behalf.

However, while there are certainly many, many valid reasons to vent over all of this, Brad's not going to change unless he wants to.  By no means am I defending how he chooses to do business, but we all know that no matter how much his byzantine practices, requirements, and moods may be a source of frustration for people trying to buy from him, he's just not going to change.

Venting's a form of catharsis, and a valuable one at that.  That is very much understood.  But sometimes the easiest way to avoid aggravation in the first place is to work with it rather than being at odds with it.  By no means am I suggesting that doing so makes it magically go away or cease to be less annoying, but none of the venting we've seen over the years has done anything to change the situation.