IGNORED

ECS Games Without the ECS?

Tempest

16 hours ago, intvdave said:

World Series Baseball has been updated to no longer need the keyboard. I am in the process of trying to make it more of a game instead of simulation. The long pauses between actions and background noise was to annoying for me.

I am hoping to have an ECS games bundle available which will include hacked versions of WSBaseball, Scooby, and Mind Strike. Not too exciting for those of you that prefer games on cart.

I had no idea someone was working on such hacks!  I gave up trying to find an affordable ECS (have a spare keyboard though).  I'd definitely be interested if they work on the LTO Flash.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, intvdave said:

World Series Baseball has been updated to no longer need the keyboard. I am in the process of trying to make it more of a game instead of simulation. The long pauses between actions and background noise was to annoying for me.

I am hoping to have an ECS games bundle available which will include hacked versions of WSBaseball, Scooby, and Mind Strike. Not to exciting for those of you that prefer games on cart.

Speaking for the old-school cartridge-only folk.......if Super NFL Football was included I may have to look into this flash cart thingy.

I still think that INTV's Super Pro Football is a better game but enjoyed Super NFL as well.  I just didn't care for the useless and bulky ECS required to play it so I got rid of both a while back.  I know that you could save plays on cassette but come on - who would ever really use this feature?

It is very awesome of Dave to be doing these versions so others can experience these rarer games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

I still think that INTV's Super Pro Football is a better game but enjoyed Super NFL as well.  I just didn't care for the useless and bulky ECS required to play it so I got rid of both a while back.  I know that you could save plays on cassette but come on - who would ever really use this feature?

It is very awesome of Dave to be doing these versions so others can experience these rarer games.

I imagine the "save to tape" feature would have been a big deal in 1983, before EEPROM was even a thing. It's really a shame the ECS had such a short commercial life.

9 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I had no idea someone was working on such hacks!  I gave up trying to find an affordable ECS (have a spare keyboard though).  I'd definitely be interested if they work on the LTO Flash.

Cool to hear someone is interested in this. I expected about zero people to be interested in ECS games.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, intvdave said:

Cool to hear someone is interested in this. I expected about zero people to be interested in ECS games.

Like others have commented, the ECS games leave something to be desired I suppose, but I'm just an original hardware loon who wants to play everything with the old stuff.  The process and successes that hobbyist have had in reverse engineering and tinkering with this old "junk" continues to be satisfy, even if I'm not the one doing the work. 

46 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Honestly I'm more interested in new games that make use of the ECS than turning ECS games into standard Intellivision games.  I have the unit, I might as well use it. :)

Don't worry.  I've got more multiplayer games in the pipeline.  Just make sure you have an extra pair of Intellivision II controllers handy.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Honestly I'm more interested in new games that make use of the ECS than turning ECS games into standard Intellivision games.  I have the unit, I might as well use it. :)

I wonder what the hobby saturation is for the ECS?  As I said, I never got one, and for what they go for now, I'd rather spend that $ on an Astrocade!

3 hours ago, Zendocon said:

Don't worry.  I've got more multiplayer games in the pipeline.  Just make sure you have an extra pair of Intellivision II controllers handy.

Is there any other unique reason to use the ECS (for homebrew)?  It's clear that fairly sophisticated games are being done now that will run the LTO or some type of homebrew retail offering, without needing whatever the ECS may provide.  Plus like I said above, the console count is not very high.

3 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Is there any other unique reason to use the ECS (for homebrew)?  It's clear that fairly sophisticated games are being done now that will run the LTO or some type of homebrew retail offering, without needing whatever the ECS may provide.  Plus like I said above, the console count is not very high.

Just that and the extra sound chip for 6-channel music.  Or maybe another rhythm game with the Music Synthesizer, some day.

• ECS BASIC: Nobody's ever going to use that, let alone write another Mr. BASIC Meets Bits & Bytes title (has 3 minigames that you can tweak through ECS BASIC code).
  • Connect to Aquarius Data Recorder: JLP made saving to tapes obsolete.  Plus I doubt any homebrewers wanted to learn how to do that.
  • Connect to Aquarius Printer: Perhaps, but why?
  • Extra 8-bit 2K RAM: JLP features 8K 16-bit RAM, so again, that feature isn't necessary.

1 minute ago, Tempest said:

Yep the only reasons to use the ECS are either for the extra sound chip, extra controllers, keyboard, or synthesizer.  I'd love to see some sort of game that uses the keyboard or synthesizer.

One of these days, I might get around to writing a rhythm game.  I don't know when though.

2 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Well for the 6-channel sound, could you not program said game for the stock system, while offering an enhanced version (like the 7800 Pokey-enhanced)?

For FUBAR, I autodetect the ECS and allow for Players 3 and 4 to be assigned to human players if found.  I also wrote the music to sound good with 3 or 6 channels.  That way, a separate ECS-enhanced release isn't necessary.

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

The beauty of this community is that there is a simple programming tool, IntyBasic, and a lot of support. I remember when I wanted a one player tennis; I had to make it myself. And you are even more fortunate that there are a lot of developers making Inty games and making games for your ECS. You can get what you wish for one way or another.

14 hours ago, intvdave said:

The beauty of this community is that there is a simple programming tool, IntyBasic, and a lot of support. I remember when I wanted a one player tennis; I had to make it myself. And you are even more fortunate that there are a lot of developers making Inty games and making games for your ECS. You can get what you wish for one way or another.

Yes.  That's part of why I decided to develop something exclusively for Tutorvision.  I'm always looking for ideas that haven't been tried before.

Didn't you know about it already?  I released it this past summer, Little Man Computer.  It's educational, and I included a 29-page manual to step the user through a few programming examples and explore all of its features.

It autodetects all the Tutorvision hardware differences from the Intellivision at startup.  If there's not enough GRAM, it bounces you to the Sound Test menu after a message.

• 2 weeks later...