IGNORED

Are these home copies or some sort of rental/loaner?

OldPAL

Got a small lot from eBay. 5 of the cartridges had this simple reddish label with "Video Computer System" and "GAME PROGRAM" written on it. They also put the game code and name on the label with a typewriter (hard to see). When I tried to peek inside I could see a piece of label which is at this point fried to crisp. Most likely PAL (colors are off on my NTSC 7800). Games are from different publishers which made me think they are probably not a publisher prototype. Are these some sort of basement copies?

PXL_20210625_161233665.jpg

PXL_20210625_161313414.jpg

PXL_20210625_161333987.jpg

PXL_20210625_161407265.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rom Hunter said:

Interesting carts, these.

Quite rare as well.

circus_atari_megamania_dark_cavern_surround_taiwan.thumb.jpg.b75e4389f77aea5c4c84161f81e42669.jpg

BTW: which other four titles do you own?

8)

Cool!

Other than Pac Man; Donkey Kong, Demons to Diamonds, Demon Attack, Super Breakout. Demon Attack does not have the typewriter markings. 

Edited by OldPAL
Deleted Asteroids, it's not one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I had an itch to see the inside of one these carts. So ended up opening the Demon Attack. The screw didn't give up so I had to drill the head. Inside is what seems to be a shielded EPROM? I see (c) 78 and ATARI. Is this what a typical 2600 ROM looks like?

PXL_20210712_203239368.jpg

PXL_20210712_203250868.jpg

PXL_20210712_203314726.jpg

PXL_20210712_203323433.jpg

13 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Although it's your property, this destructive treatment is such a shame to see. 

I did not realize a hole on the label could be this offensive. Yes it is not just another Combat, but in the name of shedding some light and provide information to others what these carts might be I "sacrificed" one that looked least appealing (no labels or information). I guess not everyone as curious as me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 3:48 PM, OldPAL said:

I did not realize a hole on the label could be this offensive. Yes it is not just another Combat, but in the name of shedding some light and provide information to others what these carts might be I "sacrificed" one that looked least appealing (no labels or information). I guess not everyone as curious as me. 

Next time, take a hair dryer or heat gun to the label. Warm it up a bit, and gently lift it up with a thin plastic spudger tool. This provides a damage-free investigative method. 

• Thanks 1

Well, one thing of note that was learned which is of curiosity & interest is that the chip appears to be an eprom rather then a mask rom. You can just make out the tell tale thin grey line across the side.

The board itself appears to be intended to use a mask rom, may have been a production board, and was modified (hacked) by someone to use an eprom instead.

They likely got a plentiful regular release game like say a combat and desoldered the mask rom, installed an eprom, and then cut traces, made jumpers, added circuit components, etc. A messy and untidy job, but likely was fast and cheap at the time.

• Like 1