IGNORED

Atari 800 (N. American hardware in Europe) Question

Dear Atari fans

I use to have a vast Atari collection that got destroyed in a flood about 20 years ago. Since then I have remained a quiet Atari fan but have always dreamt of owning an Atari 800 computer again, it was my first love and by far my favorite in the Atari 8-bit line. The collection I had was enjoyed while I lived in Canada but I am now living in Poland Europe. If I purchase an Atari 800 computer from the US where they seem to be more available what changes would I have to make to see it operational. I know that I would probably need an EU Atari adapter but what about other things like ROM or otherwise. Could someone advise as I am entertaining the possibility of purchasing an 800 again.

I appreciate your feedback and advise in advance.

Kind regards

—Alex

41 minutes ago, santoscork said:

Dear Atari fans

I use to have a vast Atari collection that got destroyed in a flood about 20 years ago. Since then I have remained a quiet Atari fan but have always dreamt of owning an Atari 800 computer again, it was my first love and by far my favorite in the Atari 8-bit line. The collection I had was enjoyed while I lived in Canada but I am now living in Poland Europe. If I purchase an Atari 800 computer from the US where they seem to be more available what changes would I have to make to see it operational. I know that I would probably need an EU Atari adapter but what about other things like ROM or otherwise. Could someone advise as I am entertaining the possibility of purchasing an 800 again.

I appreciate your feedback and advise in advance.

Kind regards

—Alex

The best option is to get a new EU power supply (non Atari); its around 20 euro (I saw them in Poland too). I have PAL 800 with NTSC (US) ROM and it works ok :) so I assume you can leave US ROM. You will get NTSC video out so you will need something to accept it, e.g. RetroTink or just a TV with NTSC input. 

Good luck!

btw. maybe check UK market for PAL version. The best would be to buy it locally in Poland (I know its difficult/expensive), but Atari 400/800 are quite fragile and there is a high chance those will not get in one piece :(

Thanks for the reply and insight.

I can't believe how really expensive the Atari micros are nowadays but that aside. I am trying to negotiate with a UK seller on eBay who has one for sale. He was gracious enough to modify his sale to include Poland and he will investigate the cost of delivery to me. I remember the 800 was a very substantial machine as far as weight was concerned.

Thanks again for the good wishes.

It would be a delight to own the classic Atari 800 computer again. I fell in love with it when I sat in front of one for the first time when Atari had a huge presence at the Canadian National Exhibition where they packed all sorts of Atari's of every kind in that huge booth (in fact, it was too big, to call it a booth). It was there that I sat down in front of an Atari 800 running Star Raiders. I had never seen anything like it and the experience has come around since. My recollection of seeing that machine and Star Raiders is by far one of the most jaw dropping moments I can recall.

• Like 1

So get a new EU transformer block.

While you can leave it as is and use workarounds you would only get NTSC video out, wouldn't run a number of great PAL region software over there and you would require a Video format transcoder box of some kind if you can't find a PAL/ NTSC input capable display... 

The timing and video chips will be the issue, you will need to modify, add, or replace the timing section with appropriate crystal and other odds and ends, and replace an LSI or so

check for PAL versions as close to you as possible though, as they won't get destroyed do to shipping problems as most people have no idea how to pack up and 800. I bet you some users groups or such can help you find a great deal

Thank you for the additional precautions on shipping, I think I will take your advise and consider purchases in and around the EU where a PAL version can be found. That said I have a few Sony Trinitrons that are both PAL and NTSC capable so the video in shouldn't be a challenge but I can see where shipping can present safety issues for the hardware.

You mentioned contacting some users groups around me. I suppose Germany and Poland would be good targets in my case. Other than a google search can you personally recommend a good starting point where I can discover users groups that might have an audience receptive to a sale? I wouldn't mind traveling to pick one up to avoid shipping costs and any potential disappointments shipping might incur.

I appreciate your reply!

—Alex

ABBUC (Atari Bit Byters Users Club) and Atari Online Poland are the places to reach out to and find out who would be closest to you, though it might take them a small amount of time to search for groups and members, I think they're the best starting places.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Thanks a million. I am sorry if my questions make it clear that I am rather ignorant by now but I have been away from the scene for a few decades now. I still listen to a bunch of Atari related podcast's because I can't shake the bug so I do stay up-to-date, including of course, K Savet's podcast and his interviews which are gold!

To think that I even once owned a heavy sixer (first Atari 2600?) — I picked that up for maybe only 5 Canadian dollars and when I disassembled it (as I was very curious), I saw a logic board that had the Atari logo and below it the slogan, "innovative leisure". I even once owned an Atari iRobot logic board and its' Atari original Hall effect joystick that I managed to wire up to an NEC CRT multi sync monitor. It was the first time I ever referred to schematics and a soldering iron. That was an adventure, the arcade I bought it from on Yonge street gave me a very quick 101 on how to read schematics and one soldering iron later iRobot was running. The 80s and early 90s were very magical as I am sure this audience understands.

I will be contacting those user groups to see if I can find any leads! Thanks a million for your help and advise!

Kind regards

—Alex

You will need a PAL cpu card, change the main crystal on the mother board and if using the RF cable, the tall adjustable inductor also on mother board.

The rom can stay the same as only timing adjustments are for cassette and key delay.

Or use a modern tv. Most can accept any signal format and display it properly.

James

I use NTSC 400,800 and 7800 in the UK.

You just need to check your TV/monitor can cope with the NTSC signal.

My Sony Trinitron CRT can as can my Samsung multisync LCD .

Samsung 42" plasma works great with my SCCC upgraded 400 and the 7800 but not so good with the 800

To convert to PAL, B&C sells PAL CPU cards on EBay, or you can get tf_hh’s SCCC card which includes an improved video output circuit. There’s a V2 with digital video output in development. I don’t know about V2 but for the others you also need to change a quartz on the motherboard. I did it for a 400 and would consider it a rather easy mod.

• Like 1