IGNORED

Atari 800 isnt' working with Sdrive-Max

Teflon

Hello, I have only recently gotten back into playing with my Atari 8-bit stuff after a 30 year hiatus. I pulled my original 800 and 800xl out of storage, and cleaned them up and have been having some fun ordering some of the new gadgets available for these machines. I also bought a used 130XE for the nostalgia, since I had purchased one in 1985, but sold it years later.

I bought an SDRIVE-MAX, which I can't seem to get to work with my 800. It works fine with the 800xl and the 130XE, but on the 800, it's like it doesn't even try. The machine goes immediately to Basic or Memopad. The 800 will boot from a 1050 floppy drive, and doesn't appear to have any problems reading disks from the 1050.

I have also recently received an SIO-Splitter, and interestingly, if I connect the SDrive to the SIO splitter, and the splitter to the 800, it's like the 800 will at least try. I get a blank screen for 15 seconds or so, and then it goes to Basic or MemoPad.

It's not the end of the world if I can't get it to work, since I am mostly using the 130XE, but I bought the SDrive primarily for the 800.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

@Teflon Word of warning. Remember if you are powering the SDrive Max currently via the SIO port and you then decide to power it externally you have to ensure you have read the instructions that may/may not have come with it and make you aren't powering it with both. You can fry the Sdrive max AND worse your Atari's.

My Sdrive Max has an internal switch which you must flick to indicate you are either powering it via the SIO only OR the external power supply. Depending on your model you may or may not have a switch but there could be a jumper config. Eitherway, pays to investigate - protect that 800!

For my model which was made by https://www.8bit-tronics.com/ I have this PDF set of instructions but it may differ from yours: https://b8f1525c-83e5-474b-bd9f-dc4616edb626.filesusr.com/ugd/dbcc85_8fe3ba119af3436dbc8138dc813660f6.pdf

I am assuming this is the case for the 800 as well as the XL/XE lines btw. I use my Sdrive Max with my XE's.

Also this is worth a read also in general: https://atari8bit.net/tutorials/de-re-sdrive-max/

good luck

Edited by Beeblebrox
adding more info
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Teflon Word of warning. Remember if you are powering the SDrive Max currently via the SIO port and you then decide to power it externally you have to ensure you have read the instructions that may/may not have come with it and make you aren't powering it with both. You can fry the Sdrive max AND worse your Atari's.

My Sdrive Max has an internal switch which you must flick to indicate you are either powering it via the SIO only OR the external power supply. Depending on your model you may or may not have a switch but there could be a jumper config. Eitherway, pays to investigate - protect that 800!

I am assuming this is the case for the 800 as well as the XL/XE lines btw. I use my Sdrive Max with my XE's.

Also this is worth a read also in general: https://atari8bit.net/tutorials/de-re-sdrive-max/

good luck

Thanks for the heads up. I am currently not using any external power for the Sdrive, just plugging it into the SIO. It works well on the 800xl and 130xe. It also powers up on the 800, it just doesn't ever start to load anything. I have the switch on the SDrive set to "S"

1 minute ago, Teflon said:

Thanks for the heads up. I am currently not using any external power for the Sdrive, just plugging it into the SIO. It works well on the 800xl and 130xe. It also powers up on the 800, it just doesn't ever start to load anything. I have the switch on the SDrive set to "S"

@TeflonSure. I guess it could come down to the 800 not having enough juice going through the SIO to allow the Sdrive to function properly. (I am no expert).

Or there may be some other reason (ie with your 800, it's componentry), that is inhibiting things. Again I am no expert but there are plenty of forum members who no doubt will advise over the coming days so maybe see what else is suggested. 

I'm not sure what the "s" setting on your Sdrive Max indicates btw. 

TBH I only use my SDrive max on rare occasions now - having the U1MB installed and the SIDE3 cart for me has surpassed it in all areas. (Not the the Sdrive Max isn't great btw)

12 hours ago, Teflon said:

I have also recently received an SIO-Splitter, and interestingly, if I connect the SDrive to the SIO splitter

Is the Splitter powered externally ?

If not, it's probably the same problem, safer to power this externally than the SDrive if your not sure

I don't own one of these, but I did a search, and this site here:  https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/sdrive-max

Says, pretty directly:

SDrive-MAX’s can get power from the SIO cable, but we include an external power supply for the original 800/400 computers that do not supply power fast enough to the SDrive-MAX to boot from it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, glurk said:

I don't own one of these, but I did a search, and this site here:  https://www.vintagecomputercenter.com/product/sdrive-max

Says, pretty directly:

SDrive-MAX’s can get power from the SIO cable, but we include an external power supply for the original 800/400 computers that do not supply power fast enough to the SDrive-MAX to boot from it.

hence why I asked if it's being powered externally or not... in the very second post... if that doesn't work, you need to do the updates and firmware. I add now, If it's homemade check your work, otherwise contact vendor for help.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, glurk said:

Says, pretty directly:

That may be the problem, then. I don't have the SIO Splitter powered either. Let me power the SIO Splitter and try that first, and see what happens. Thanks!

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Are you using and external power source on your sdrive max? if not try it.

only other issue might be it needs a firmware update etc.

This was, indeed the issue, once I powered the SIO splitter, and the SDrive was already on, the 800 booted fine from the SDrive. Thanks, everyone for the guidance and help. I somehow managed to miss the note about the 800's not providing power fast enough. Now to decide whether to permanently power the SDrive externally, and remove the switch so I can't accidentally fry everything, or get another SIO splitter just for the 800.

Edited by Teflon
  • Like 1

Curiously enough, if I power the SDrive and plug it directly into the 800, I get the same results as plugging the sdrive in unpowered. The 800 goes directly to basic or memopad. It works fine if I use the SIO splitter, powered. It's not  something that I need to resolve, I'll just get another SIO splitter for the 800 power it.

20210717_090756-sm.jpg

Edited by Teflon

10 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

Hi,

You MUST use external power for the original 800.

Best,

Gavin

Thanks, Gavin, I somehow managed to overlook that point when ordering, but I do have it powered, and it's working fine with the SIO splitter. I've been enjoying playing Ultima 3 again.

• Like 2