IGNORED

What SD card do you use with SIDE 3 ?

Level42

14 minutes ago, Level42 said:

For me it’s not, as I’m finally getting some confirmation instead of people pointing their fingers to me, my hardware or my “fake” SD cards….

Try not to take things so personally, we're all trying to narrow down on the issue and Amazon are renowned for fakes. At this stage it still stands as a possibility.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I tried on my 8Gb SanDIsk, just a blue screen.

Also tried on a 16Gb MicroSD in an adaptor, blue screen also.

I have some older SD cards somewhere, will try them also.

What is the configuration of your machine? A rundown of upgrades is important in relation to narrowing down this issue.

13 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

What is the configuration of your machine?

130XE U1M with SIDE3, I can try on a stock 130XE too if needed

Also, just tried an old 2G SD card, program ran, but no music, only hissing noise

Update: tried all cards on my stock 130XE, same results, only one played

Edited by TGB1718
Update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

The three PDM files posted here won't play from my SanDisk 32GB card, but play just fine from my Sony 8GB card:

No idea why at the moment.

Hm.  There should be at least a 32GB (but possibly also a 64GB) Sandisk micro SD card laying around at home.  At work for another 4 hours and have been here overnight, but once I'm home and have caught up on sleep a bit I'll try it/them and see what happens.

The new Loader version appears to have fixed my issues with the Samsung card. :)

EDIT: Someone asked me how I recorded this and the Doom file I uploaded yesterday. For this one, I loaded up CANYON.MID as a MIDI track in the audio recording software I use (Reaper), and played it back through a Roland SoundCanvas VST, then rendered it to a .WAV file, which I processed using the FujiConvert tool. For the Doom file I uploaded yesterday, I did things differently. I actually played that .MID file on my 1088XLD through the Dreamblaster S2 card inside the computer. I had my 1088XLD audio out connected to my Windows PCs and recorded the .WAV file directly in Reaper. Then I processed that .WAV file with FujiConvert as well. 

• Like 4

It may get the masses in an uproar but your tenacity has improved the Atari playing field... kudos for hanging in there with all the sling and arrows now cast down. Hope this all led to a fix for the issues and you can now find the best card possible from the lot of sd cards you purchased to help us all with a solution. It's great to see a solution emerge from chaos once more!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mdivancic said:

Not sure I care. It works 100% for what I’m using it for. If I get the chance I’ll give it a try. 

Not necessary anymore, but helping out to diagnose problems for fellow A8 users isn't a terrible thing to do.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It may get the masses in an uproar but your tenacity has improved the Atari playing field... kudos for hanging in there with all the sling and arrows now cast down. Hope this all led to a fix for the issues and you can now find the best card possible from the lot of sd cards you purchased to help us all with a solution. It's great to see a solution emerge from chaos once more!

Thank you. Frankly I was on the edge of letting it all go, as my trusty old 4 GB micro Sandisk loads all games fine and PDM playback was only a nice feature, not a necessity. 

12 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I tried on my 8Gb SanDIsk, just a blue screen.

Also tried on a 16Gb MicroSD in an adaptor, blue screen also.

I have some older SD cards somewhere, will try them also.

Thanks for trying ! Glad the issue is now solved with loader 0.43.

7 hours ago, Level42 said:

Not necessary anymore, but helping out to diagnose problems for fellow A8 users isn't a terrible thing to do.

As I said, I would give it a try once I had the chance. My Atari gear doesn’t often come out during the work week. Glad the problem is solved. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Level42 said:

To get back to the reported cards so far: 

I noticed none of the reported cards are larger than 32 GB, except the one's I tested. I wonder that might have some influence. 

Anyone has a 64GB to try ?

Strangely enough, my 8GB Kingston MicroSD card started developing corruption last night, and the only replacement I had laying around was a 64GB Sandisk MicroSDXC (Class 10, U1) card that had been pulled from an IP camera where it had been used for roughly a year of 24/7 video recording.  It works fine on the 600XL, 800XL, and 1200XL, and was repartitioned as FAT32 under macOS Big Sur.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Strangely enough, my 8GB Kingston MicroSD card started developing corruption last night, and the only replacement I had laying around was a 64GB Sandisk MicroSDXC (Class 10, U1) card that had been pulled from an IP camera where it had been used for roughly a year of 24/7 video recording.  It works fine on the 600XL, 800XL, and 1200XL, and was repartitioned as FAT32 under macOS Big Sur.

Great feedback, thanks !

On 7/26/2021 at 12:05 AM, Level42 said:

Brand: Sandisk

Model: Ultra
Size (GB): 64

Type (SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDUC): SDXC
Speed (Standard, High-speed, UHS-I , UHS-II, UHS-III, Express): UHS-I

Phyiscal size (Standard, Mini, Micro): Standard
Used adapter for Mini or Micro: N/A

Used on what computer(s) (400,800, 600XL, 800XL, 1200XL, 65XE, 130XE, 800XE, XEGS): 600XL, 130 XE

Any hardware mods (Antonia, U1MB, Sophia 1, Sophia 2, Stereo Pokey, Pokeymac, etc. etc.):
- 600XL: U1MB, Stereo POKEY, Sophia 1 (RGB), AntiX

- 130XE: None
Original Atari or new (switching Power Supply): Original

74F08 installed ?

- 600XL yes

- 130XE no

Does it work absolutely trouble free (Loading CAR, XEX, BIN, ATR (with U1MB), runs PDM music) ?: No
If not, what issues ?: When launching CAR or BIN files the first time, a little clock starts running in the status screen and after about 7 turns, a NAK error appears. When then launching the same file for the 2nd time, it loads trouble free. Behavior is consistent between heavily modded 600XL and stock 130XE. PDM music plays.

Purchased the exact same card, which arrived today. Packaging as per your photo:

IMG_5272.jpg.847057d61dd5d4ef570c7b2445d6166d.thumb.jpg.a3be0469a9e07c1bb60484318fb19e41.jpg

s-l500.jpg.9dd74fc1f4e1e3461c34cc3f7da2a067.jpg

IMG_20210730_130724033.thumb.jpg.7698844e52034a7d218f6c0ed04db062.jpg

IMG_20210730_130705660.thumb.jpg.ab2709a524f389007230b1c6aecaeaf6.jpg

SDTEST shows:

IMG_20210730_123343521.thumb.jpg.c8482f4db4dfeb961c00c823611e4824.jpg

Brand: Sandisk

Model: Ultra
Size (GB): 64

Type (SD, SDHC, SDXC, SDUC): SDXC
Speed (Standard, High-speed, UHS-I , UHS-II, UHS-III, Express): UHS-I

Phyiscal size (Standard, Mini, Micro): Standard
Used adapter for Mini or Micro: N/A

Used on what computer(s): 600XL

Any hardware mods: U1MB, VBXE, PokeyMAX 3
Original Atari or new (switching Power Supply): Lotharek 3A 'Meanwell' switch-mode PSU

74F08 installed: No

Does it work absolutely trouble free (Loading CAR, XEX, BIN, ATR (with U1MB), runs PDM music): Yes
If not, what issues: None

Edited by flashjazzcat
More photos