IGNORED

ESP Wifi Device to SIO Cable Is it Possible?

Hello everyone: Today I got this in the mail, its an ESP32 Wifi device, and since my SIO2SD device is broken I was thinking of hooking up the SIO cable to the 25 pin connector somehow, this is a picture of the ESP32 Wifi device, is it possible to get connections going with Bobterm on the Atari 800xl and this device or do I need a serial adapter of some sort?

Here is the Wifi decive in a pic:

20210729_170210.jpg

I believe the ESP32 is a 3.3V device and would need a level shifter between the SIO port and the device.

You also need  a data sheet for the device showing the pinouts on the 25 way socket.

You would also have to write some code do the serial communication and the WiFi, looks like a fairly complex project.

I just found out that the wifi device is parallel and you plug it into the parallel interface of the Atari Portfolio, it then allows you to send files to the Portfolio through Wifi , pretty cool I have to find my parafaceThe guy that sent it to me confused me , it is serial after all.

Edited by rcamp48
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rcamp48 said:

I just found out that the wifi device is parallel and you plug it into the parallel interface of the Atari Portfolio, it then allows you to send files to the Portfolio through Wifi , pretty cool I have to find my paraface

That's indeed pretty cool!

If you want an ESP hanging on the SIO bus, check out Fujinet:

https://atariage.com/forums/forum/346-fujinet-sio-network-adapter/

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I believe the ESP32 is a 3.3V device and would need a level shifter between the SIO port and the device.

You also need  a data sheet for the device showing the pinouts on the 25 way socket.

You would also have to write some code do the serial communication and the WiFi, looks like a fairly complex project.

It works as a serial dvice the way it is, you will need an 850 interface to use it out of the box.

Russ

What you have is a modem emulator device, including the rs232 interface with 25 pins. 

It is just much more simpler to get ttl level esp32 and connect it almost directly to the atari sio. The esp32 default firmware also support AT commands to interact directly from bobterm or icet, by using the rverter handler, no need to use a 850. 

A lot of people were doing that before FujiNet existence, now it is an interesting project, but fujinet really cover all of that. 

Now, if you already have a 850 and the right cable, you are good to go. 

• Like 1