IGNORED

400: Modify or Not.

DavidMil

I just finished rebuilding a 400.  The door I got is slightly more yellow than the case, but it now is complete.  I'm trying to decide if

I want to do a 48K upgrade to the unit or just leave it as is.  I'd like to get some feedback about what you all think.  I won't be doing

anything with this machine, I just repaired it because it was the first Atari computer I owned and I hate non-working computers just

laying around.  Some I'm trying to get an idea of what other Atari fans think...  Modify or leave it as it came from the factory?  Tell me

what you guys think...

DavidMil

I've got my first machine. I did the 48k upgrade a few years ago. Even though I have 3 other modified machines I could use. When the 400 incognito comes out, i'll do that as well. I really don't use the 400, but when I do, I'd like it to be able to run all the software I enjoy on the others.

I'd say 48 or 52k mem upgrade is a no brainer, but you could hold off for the 400 incognito or equivalent upcoming...

super color video card maybe?

I have zero qualms with making and Atari all it can be.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

If you have other machines that you mod and upgrade then I'd say keep the 400 original, especially since you have a personal connection with it being your first A8. Can still be used as it is.

This.  It's only original once, and, since you've got it in that state and working, I'd recommend keeping it that way.

However: I have absolutely no issues with modifying machines.  My approach has been to have one machine that is the recipient of modifications, and another of the same model that is kept stock for reference.  Your call, but this might work for you as well.

• Like 1

I don't mind upgrades.  I'm not one of the purest group.  I have four 800's of which only one is still 'stock'.  After reading the

comments so far, I'm thinking that I may leave this one as is and buy another 400 to do upgrades on.  That way I can keep my

sentimental 400, and remember the fantasy days when I thought maybe I could upgrade it to make it self aware.  It was a

whole new world back then...

DavidMil  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

I don't mind upgrades.  I'm not one of the purest group.  I have four 800's of which only one is still 'stock'.  After reading the

comments so far, I'm thinking that I may leave this one as is and buy another 400 to do upgrades on.  That way I can keep my

sentimental 400, and remember the fantasy days when I thought maybe I could upgrade it to make it self aware.  It was a

whole new world back then...

DavidMil  

Other than the memory card the only modifications to the 400 for 48KB are 3 or 4 wire jumpers on the bottom of the main PCB.

• Like 1

More memory for sure.  With Incognito for the 400 coming up it should allow a relatively low hack expansion option.

One thing I'd avoid with a 400 is keyboards.  The B-key takes away the character of the computer and isn't really a whole lot better than the stock option.  I think a better idea would be just to mod the thing to use an external XEGS keyboard (preferably using a smaller plug)

• Like 2

I still have my very first 800, and I keep it repaired, but I'll never modify it. I want it to always be the way it was. I have an 800xl that I'm modding heavily. That 800 is like Scrooge McDuck's number one dime for me. ?

Edited by Teflon
  • Like 1

I might be the minority here, but. I like my 8-bits all original at this point.

If you want souped up Altirra is the way! I now have my wifes atari 400 (the one she actually got as a child in my posetion) cleaned and like new. A 130 XE like new. and am seeking a 600xl they first system I ever had.

I am keeping them and everything around them as close to original as possible.

When Im feeling like real atari I boot up the 130 xe and play there. The 400 gets powered up time to time.

95% of my 8-bit use happens on my media/gaming PC in my living room on my 65" sitting at my couch. The plus here is the ability to run pal stuff in pal, ntsc stuff in ntsc. rapid loading etc and the 8-bits Im collecting will get to outlive me :)

Mind you my 1050s are happy.

• Like 1

I say 400: Modify WHY NOT?

For me, stock is just a starting point, when it comes to consoles, computers, most other electronics, cars and other machines. If I can make it better I do, sometimes it's practical, sometimes it's just because I can and want too. If something doesn't have a feature or ability I think it should have had in the first place, or just makes it better, I modify it.

• Like 1