IGNORED

New game adaptations

Paranoid,

Could you make a better adaption of the game Last Ninja Remix? Half of the time the game hangs at startup just getting a blank black screen. Tested on STE with TOS 2.06 and 4MB RAM.

I think it`s one of the best games ever made and even today the best written game music ever, it really deserves a perfect adaption IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 9:18 PM, complicated said:

Paranoid,

Could you make a better adaption of the game Last Ninja Remix? Half of the time the game hangs at startup just getting a blank black screen. Tested on STE with TOS 2.06 and 4MB RAM.

I think it`s one of the best games ever made and even today the best written game music ever, it really deserves a perfect adaption IMO.

I did it for d-bug years ago. Don’t remember it hanging. Plays the amiga music on the falcon too. 

http://d-bug.me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:18 PM, complicated said:

Paranoid,

I tested it with Mega STE, TOS 2.06 a lot when done it in 2012. Worked reliable - and YT video is made with it. And now tested again with same config. No any problem happened.

So, I think that problem is by you. And btw. no one reported problems with in 10 years. 

It can be that your computer is not so reliable anymore - and this will be something more and more present, because machines are now over 30 years old.

And may be that some SW takes too much RAM - there are instructions on site how to reduce Hddriver RAM usage. http://atari.8bitchip.info/GamexUsage.html

When I will have free time I can make HAGA version, but that will be not soon, and may not solve your problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I tested it with Mega STE, TOS 2.06 a lot when done it in 2012. Worked reliable - and YT video is made with it. And now tested again with same config. No any problem happened.

So, I think that problem is by you. And btw. no one reported problems with in 10 years. 

It can be that your computer is not so reliable anymore - and this will be something more and more present, because machines are now over 30 years old.

And may be that some SW takes too much RAM - there are instructions on site how to reduce Hddriver RAM usage. http://atari.8bitchip.info/GamexUsage.html

When I will have free time I can make HAGA version, but that will be not soon, and may not solve your problem.

Normally i would get mad cause honestly i`m getting tired of listening to people saying something is wrong with my Atari machines, not many people on this planet takes so much care about their computers as i do. But this time you were actually right :) I`ve had some small random issues lately on my Mega STE with TOS 2.06 and i could not understand the problem until a couple of days ago when trying to start up my original Dungeon Master disc and the game did not start and i was quite sure i used to play it on TOS 2.06 in the past. I bought my TOS 2.06 Eproms from Centuriontech cause the price was fair but that idiot could not even burn a couple of TOS chips on reliable Eproms, i burned a couple myself with my own Eprom burner and suddenly everything worked fine, both with Dungeon Master and your Ninja Remix adaption. Quite funny the problem was bad Eproms from a known so called hardware developer using second hand Eproms from China when you can get new good ones for like 1 euro each, maybe even cheaper.

I don't think that it's some insult to assume that some 30+ years old computer may work not reliable. That's simply how it goes. And worst errors are not such when it stops to work, but when it works, but diverse errors happen sometimes . As result of component degradation. Most known is loosing of capacity by electrolyte capacitors - like in PSU units. But even chips may go partially bad. Like memory - some cells may break.

EPROM prices here in Hu are pretty high - 1 Mbit - what goes in STE, Mega STE in pair costs about 6-8 Euros per piece. So, I usually order right from China, and did not get used ones, but quality brand (ST) . Were no problems so far with them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, complicated said:

but that idiot could not even burn a couple of TOS chips on reliable Eproms, i burned a couple myself with my own Eprom burner and suddenly everything worked fine, both with Dungeon Master and your Ninja Remix adaption. Quite funny the problem was bad Eproms from a known so called hardware developer using second hand Eproms from China when you can get new good ones for like 1 euro each, maybe even cheaper.

You know that the TOS has a built-in CRC mechanism, right? So in case some bit would flip for some hardware reason, it would be shown during the boot.

Most likely it was you who didn't apply enough pressure when inserting new ROMs or there is a fragile spot somewhere in the socket.

So most likely you've just made an idiot of yourself, publicly.

These adaptations are amazing and I'll be donating again for sure as the efforts are much appreciated!  I went through a large list and checked to see if they were currently available.  These are games that I remember from many years ago... if any of them could be done it would be amazing!  Not all have the manufacturer listed but I just pulled from a list. 

Accolade: hardball, heatwave, pinball wizards, stratego, powerboat USA
Activision: championship baseball, gfl football
Mindscape: Superstar ice hockey, 4d boxing
Pinball dreams
After burner
Atari: super quintet
Wayne gretzy hockey
Broderbund: Superbike challenge
Codemasters: BMX simulator, super grand prix, jaguar xj2200
Electronic Arts: Articfox, ferrari forumla one, road rash, 
Battleship
Speed buggy
Pac mania
Sim city
Interplay: Castles
Microillusions: Fire Power
Microleague Baseball
Microprose World Circuit
Ocean: Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge, Games 92: Espana, Operation Wolf, Operation Thunderbolt
Psygnosis: Carl Lewis Challenge, nitro
Sierra: Hoyle Book of Games I and II, 
Sublogic: Jet
US Gold: World Class Leaderboard
Ubisoft: Bomberman, 

Some of games listed are already done, some 10+ years ago. Like Jet, Pacmania, Arctic Fox (maybe did not find it because not accurate title), Operation Wolf ....

You can set alphabetic order listing of game table, that helps in cases not knowing exact title or some misstype. Arctic Fox (so is at Atarimania) is maybe Arcticfox (so foxy ? ) by publisher .

What is 'Microprose World Circuit' ? Ah, that's other name for F1 Grand Prix, but in case of Atari not used. Done long time ago, actually I did it probably as my first hard disk adapt in 1993.

I will look what is worth to deal with ..

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 8:16 PM, mikro said:

You know that the TOS has a built-in CRC mechanism, right? So in case some bit would flip for some hardware reason, it would be shown during the boot.

Most likely it was you who didn't apply enough pressure when inserting new ROMs or there is a fragile spot somewhere in the socket.

So most likely you've just made an idiot of yourself, publicly.

Yes of course i know TOS has a built in CRC check, i`m not born yesterday you know. I have over 30 years of Atari experience and i know how to change and put Eproms in a socket. Its not my problem that greedy idiots are using second hand Eproms with scratches from China instead of buying new good ones. For the record i could not even erase or read those "bad" TOS Eproms so they were not good, the mystical part was that they worked for like 99%. I even checked the pins and socket and tried again but still problems, when using my own selfburned Eprom "on new good chips" everything works fine.

So i`m an idiot cause a wannabe crappy hardware developer cannot afford good chips?

Please folks, let's avoid general assumptions, accusations. I have generally good experiences with components ordered from China. Nothing was second hand. Only in 1 case I got not working chip - 68010 CPU . It is much worse with Hu. online sellers, and their prices are insane in most cases.

EPROMs, especially those in ceramic case last pretty long time, more than chips in plastic case. What can make them worse is lot of writings, what I don't see as something what happens often. I have some older than 25 years, written couple dozen times, and no problems. Except some legs broken, but that's easy to fix.

The real quality problems are with sellers selling faulty ware as good - and that is now more present than earlier. And their prices are not lower usually. So, I would not blame just like that man who programmed those EPROMs.     And possible that unreliable work was just because EPROMs were too slow for Atari (Mega STE) .

• Like 1