IGNORED

.atr Disks vs. Real Disks The Bible Disks

gilsaluki

This is the only time I have had this Weird-a-tude.  I want to use the Bellcom The New Testament KJV Bible disks.  Found all the disk images on Atarimania.  Copied the ATR Disk images (A-M disks) to real disks.  They will  not load.  Used Disk Wizard II at first.  Then used DOS 2.5.  When I am using the SIO2CD device I can see all the files within the ATR disk and on the real disk using DOS 2.5.  However, the disks which contain an Autorun file, will not load.  DOS will not show the individual files on the disks but shows 00 sectors available.  Weird.  What am I missing.  Can't read the files in a Word processor either.  

14 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Copied the ATR Disk images (A-M disks) to real disks.  They will  not load.  Used Disk Wizard II at first.  Then used DOS 2.5.

Downloaded them and tested both on .ATR and SD-format Disk (transferred from .ATR to Indus/GT, via SDX' own HDSC sector copy. A simple "X HDSC -C=720 D2: D1:" command took care of the job). They work like a charm, and work well even with XL OS and Altirra Basic.

It all looks, smells and walks like you definitely have a bad .ATR to SD-floppy transfer. 

(NOTE: if you don't regularly work in SDX environment, just download a solid / reliable sector copier, like CopyMate 3.8 XE, and that will also get you off-the-ground quickly).

Still trying.  No good.  New disks, different drives, different computers.  Are those ATRs single or double or enhanced density?  Cannot find Copymate XE 3.8.  Found Copymate XE 3.7, but it errored out on me.  With DOS 2.5 I can Duplicate Disk (J).  The copied disk shows the files (only when I use the SIO2SD version of DOS 2.5).  Those files on the copied disk match those on the SD.  When I try to boot the freshly copied disk, I get a couple of audible sounds, then the disk just continues to spin.   The drive is not loading, but will not stop spinning unless I turn off the power.  Weird.  Then when I use my Disk-based DOS 2.5, it does not show the files in the Directory (A), but shows 000 Free Sectors.  It is boggling my brain.  Again, never had any trouble copying ATRs to real disk before, just these disk images.

Here is an ATR with Copymate 3.8 XE. It is named Copy 720k on that image, since it was the only 720k copy program I had many years ago for the A8 (option "C" from the menu). Note: Copymate 3.8 XE requires a min. of 128k RAM and afaik supports a max. of 320k RAM.

Downloaded the disk images from atarimania and all 13 images are single density, 90k. There is DOS 2.5 on them (only DOS.SYS with 37 sectors), an Autorun.SYS file (to load a Basic menu), a Basic menu and the various bible files (in Atari Writer format). Do not know why it does not work for you...

SECTCOPY.zip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Found Copymate XE 3.7, but it errored out on me

This may hold the key to your issues. There are no errors with Copymate 3.7 or 3.8 (attached above) versions.

Check thoroughly your SIO-chain, right from your host all the way to your .ATR server. Check every operating variable, including host OS / BIOS, SIO-speed, interface adapters, SIO drive-IDs, etc... everything that is part of that SIO chain.

If necessary, also consider re-downloading package from Atarimania and extract with different de-compressor (like 7-zip or equivalent), just in case.

These are all SD .ATR images, with absolutely nothing special on their format. Even a "type filename.#" command from SDX shows on screen their content, without ever having to boot Basic.

I have tried every combination I know.  I used Copymate 3.8.  I tried other ATR images.  Seems I cannot copy ANY ATR files to my disk drive.  I recalled that a few months ago I tried to make a real disk and it did not work either;thought it was the image.  When trying to copy images, they all go through the motions.  I can see and hear the disk drive format the disk, and write the file(s).  While using the SIO2SD, I can actually see the files on the copied disk.  Once I reconfigure the computer and SIO cables back to their normal configuration, the disks fail to load.  Can't read their contents with DOS.  However, the disks all say 000 Sectors Remaining.  So, something was written to the blank disks.  This one baffles me. I am not that knowledgeable able disks, sectors, Tables of Contents, Directories, etc.  Checked all the SIOs in the chain.  Reseated all of them, even bypassed all the idle devices.  Still the same behavior, no matter what the ATR I copied.  The drive Busy light comes on, I hear the drive spinning, I hear one or two audibles, then it just idles... The drive will not stop spinning (Busy light stays illuminated).  I have to manually power the drive off to get the drive to stop.  VTOC?  Who knows?  I did copy the files on my SD of my Fujinet Cart, the files are all good to go, readable from Fujinet Cart.  

Since it's possible the SIO2SD is interfering with the SIO chain, I'd setup a disk copy program for ONE DRIVE... read in the source disk from the SIO2SD on D1: for instance, then when the program prompts to insert the destination disk, physically disconnect the SIO2SD, and connect the 1050 disk drive, and allow it to write out the destination disk. If you don't have enough RAM for a 1-pass copy, you may have to repeat swapping source/destination a couple of times until the whole disk is copied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

Since it's possible the SIO2SD is interfering with the SIO chain, I'd setup a disk copy program for ONE DRIVE... read in the source disk from the SIO2SD on D1: for instance, then when the program prompts to insert the destination disk, physically disconnect the SIO2SD, and connect the 1050 disk drive, and allow it to write out the destination disk. If you don't have enough RAM for a 1-pass copy, you may have to repeat swapping source/destination a couple of times until the whole disk is copied.

Thanks, I will try that method.  I have a 128K machine.  The ATRs in question are 91K.

Fixed!  The Lothorak SIO2SD had Virtual drives #2 and #3 set to On.  When I was trying to copy to my 1050 (drive #2), in reality it was just copying the file back to the SIO2SD to it's virtual Drive #2.   Turned off those Virtual drives, and Wha-La, a workable real floppy disk.  Don't know when I turned those virtual drives on in the past.  Or why I would have.   Thanks all.  Still learning on these machines.  I need to read the Bible after this exercise in patience. 

• Like 4