IGNORED

C64 game suggestions for an Atari 800XL enthusiast?

ldelsarte

31 minutes ago, emkay said:

Misinformed fanboy? This only could belong to any C64 freak. 

Most "impressive" looking games on the C64 might look like 16 bit by the given resolution, but if the player doesn't recognize the very low movement details and response in games like Out Run, a "very  bias" must be activated. 

I'd prefer to jump to the real stuff on the Amiga. 

Pigs arse. Shutup.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I will say that I always hated the Commodore brand Infocom packaging.

I suppose Commodore first licensed the Scott Adams games for the VIC-20 and later the Infocom games for the C64 in order to get a head start when it comes to more grown-up games. I see a clear difference in that Atari had plenty of development of own titles and may have been more reluctant to license something from third party, while Commodore barely developed any games software at all. Some early titles were from HAL Labs, another few were outsourced to various bedroom programmers but after going through internal documentation from the early years it becomes painfully obvious that Commodore neither had the resources or ambitions to come up with great first party games.

As an interesting side note, at the launch of the VIC-20 there were guidelines to how to publish your games. Either developers could send their games to Commodore for evaluation and possible publishing, buy ready-made cartridge boards or develop their own cartridge boards and pay a license fee to Commodore. Not quite a lock-out system but interesting that they imagined it would be possible to charge license fees from companies designing their own cartridge PCBs, simply just utilizing the cartridge connector. To be honest I don't know if any third party cartridge publisher ever paid any license fees, or how soon it took for Commodore to drop that demand.

On the other hand, I haven't looked into Atari history so I don't know if they tried a similar license fee system for third party publishers of cartridges for the A8, 2600 etc.

• Like 1

Yes, for technical reasons the adventure games were located in a such memory block that you needed SYS to start the game instead of it would autostart. Previously I examined the five games and found that the engine which I think is around 9K, is identical for all cartridges, only the remaining 6-7K data part that is different. The fact that the engine exceeds 8K probably was the reason why they couldn't make it autostart without some kludges to the code.

33 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Yes, for technical reasons the adventure games were located in a such memory block that you needed SYS to start the game instead of it would autostart. Previously I examined the five games and found that the engine which I think is around 9K, is identical for all cartridges, only the remaining 6-7K data part that is different. The fact that the engine exceeds 8K probably was the reason why they couldn't make it autostart without some kludges to the code.

There was actually a reason for this and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Commodore had big plans for the expandability of the VIC-20, using an expansion chassis like the VC-1010 or the rather interesting looking VC-1020. You see it was discovered that when using the Japanese variant (not the US variant of the same cartridge) of the VIC-20 Super Expander cartridge, it actually had a fairly undocumented feature that allowed it to detect what carts were installed in the system and report the cart's banner on the screen under the CBM basic V2 header as recognised in it's appropriate memory space and ready to be launched. Furthermore, from what I can tell, at least the VC-1010 seems to use a buffered bus.

However, as fate would have it, the whole thing was shelved when Commodore decided on a new model called the Commodore 64. Although it has to be said that the C64's DMA pin on the expansion port as well as the fairly undocumented at the time Ultimax mode left the C64 with some fairly interesting tricks up its sleeve that are beginning to be utilised today with outstanding results.

The C64's expansion port is basically as featured as the BBC's Tube port, although the Tube port had the implementation of an API that allowed the coprocessor to essentially run independent of the main system using the common API as the means of communication between the devices. A simplistic, yet ingenious design.

Edited by Mazzspeed

My GOD, now it's commercial / spokesman time again as well ! Seems the OP wanted some games of note or play-ability and we provided some. He's thanked us and will check them out !! All this other crap is the usual comparison / sell my favorite system rally. Can't we just do as members ask in their posts and leave all the other crap out?? It doesn't have to be this every time as it gets nudged down this road again. That would be genius!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

My GOD, now it's commercial / spokesman time again as well ! Seems the OP wanted some games of note or play-ability and we provided some. He's thanked us and will check them out !! All this other crap is the usual comparison / sell my favorite system rally. Can't we just do as members ask in their posts and leave all the other crap out?? It doesn't have to be this every time as it gets nudged down this road again. That would be genius!

This. But did you really expect any different though? This stuff happens like clockwork in these kinds of threads. ?

Fact is both computers are great, and they both do different things well. I'm FAR more of an Atari fan personally, but that's just me. The c64 has every right to the good reputation it has: it's a great little gaming pc from the early 80s. Everything else is just fanboy noise.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, emkay said:

The forums are rotten by C64 freak invasion. 

If we listened to them, the latest developments on the Atari wouldn't have happen. It actually was and is the main cause for the very slow development of new things. 

They are very perfidious, yet very clever ;)

Oh no, you have detected the Cabal!  They only seek to destroy Atari users, even after 40 years!

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, emkay said:

The forums are rotten by C64 freak invasion. 

For goodness’s sake man, have some compassion, by your description our recently lost dev TMR aka Jason Kelk is a freak...FFS leave it..

Not only was he a close friend but someone who loved the Atari as well..

Most of us who are multi machine have just tried to suggest games and add a bit of tech advice..

Best this thread gets closed..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pokeypy said:

Well, I just saw it at a friend on his C64 and liked it.

Much later I saw, there was also a ZX Spectrum version - which wasn't as good though.

So, from where was it converted? From an arcade machine? If so, I never came across the original.

To me, Slapfight is a C64 game. Actually, it's kind of the "only C64 game". Because almost all others, I can play in versions for other computers (Spectrum, Atari and Amiga - the ones, I had back then). So basically, I have also the Vice emulator installed just for Slapfight. And maybe "Impossible Mission".

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=slapfigha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slap_Fight

On 8/8/2021 at 11:26 PM, Mazzspeed said:

I recently got put onto Wasteland, which is the RPG precursor to the Fallout series of games apparently. The game is spread across about eight disks (.D64's) and for some obscure reason it uses it's own DOS called ProDOS (whether that's got anything to do with Apple I don't know). What I found was that I could mount the first .D64 and load it, but subsequent .D64's were invisible to the software even though they were mounted - So the .D64's are essentially useless, and it seems I'm not the only one to pick up on this after a quick Google search.

I managed to find a 1MB .D81 image of the game that loads fully into the REU which runs great, better than the original - But it's a really involved game, the manual is an absolute necessity (which I found online). The problem is you need an REU.

The same games that always get mentioned have already been mentioned.  Some similar threads include: 

Top Games You'd Like to Have for Atari 8-Bits - Page 8 - Atari 8-Bit Computers - AtariAge Forums

Games for C64 not available for A8? - Atari 8-Bit Computers - AtariAge Forums 

I will put a personal +1 onto both Pirates! and Defender of the Crown.  Both are IMO the most fun versions of those 2 games with the C64 version of DOTC having more options than the Amiga version and many fans consider the earlier Commodore version of Pirates! to be definitive.

Regarding Wasteland, I thought you might not know about some of these sources that can help bring it a little further in the the "modern" era.  Sorry if this is repeat info for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'10' C64 Games not available on the Atari / better on the C64 (IMO) that I keep coming back to are:

Batalyx

Hypersports

Impossible Mission

Mr. Do's Castle

Ms. Pacman

Paradroid

The Sentinel

Uridium

Wizball

Summer Games II / Winter Games / World Games / California Games