IGNORED

Which new game you would like to play most?

ilmenit

Which new game you would like to play on 8bit Atari?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which new game (not a port) you would like to play the most on 8bit Atari?

• First person RPG like Eye of Beholder or Dungeon Master
    • First person shooter like Wolfenstein 3D or Doom
    • Racing game like Lotus Turbo Challenge or Jaguar XJ220
    • Soccer/Football game like Sensible Soccer or Kick Off
    • Futuristic sports game like Speedball
    • Pinball game like Pinball Dreams or Slam Tilt
    • Tactical game like Laser Squad or Ufo: Enemy Unknown
    • Point and Click adventure game like The Secret of Monkey Island or Broken Sword
    • Space Trading Simulation game like Elite or Frontier
    • Vertical or Horizontal shooter like Tyrian or Raptor
    • City Building game like Sim City or Caesar
    • Flight Simulation Game like F/A 18 Interceptor or Gunship
    • Real Time Strategy game like Dune or Command and Conquer
    • Top-down Shooter game like Chaos Engine or Alien Breed
    • 2D Platform Arcade game like Super Mario or Super Frog
    • 4X Turn Based Strategy like Civilization or Master of Orion
    • Turn Based Strategy like Heroes of Might and Magic or King's Bounty
    • "God Simulation" like Populous or Black and White
    • 2D Platform Adventure game like Flashback or Blackthorne
    • Top-down RPG like Chrono Trigger or Fallout
    • Fighting game like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter
    • Beat'em Up game like Double Dragon or Golden Axe
    • Tower Defense game like GemCraft or Plants vs Zombies
    • Farming Adventure game like Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon
    • Survival/Crafting game like Terraria or Minecraft

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Nice poll. Are you sure all those genres can be pulled off with some decency? I'm sure many have barely been seen on 8-bit systems, and sometimes there may be technical reasons for that.

The most problematic genres are probably real-time 3D games, but I believe a lot can be done using 1MB cartridge, modern programming techniques and tools, even without hardware extensions (either modifications or cartridges like Tomek8).

• Like 3

I cast my vote already, but I'd also like to offer another category that (as far as I can tell) isn't covered in the poll: Puzzle games! But not just old tired puzzles. A couple of examples:

Ever since The Witness came out in 2016, shortly after there was a demake released for the NES called "The Wit.nes". I find it totally adorable and I was hella jealous of it not being on an Atari!

A tamed down version of Stephen's sausage roll. Going 3D might be overkill for an 8bit machine, I'm sure a stripped down 2D would work beautifully.

I don't want to bore people too much (and apologies to @ilmenit if I did bore him already!) so I'll quickly mention some puzzlescript games like "Skipping stones to lonely homes"

"Mirror isles"

"Enigmash"

Right, that's me done, I'll get my coat now :)

• Like 2

Personally I have a weakness for combining odd genres, if it is done in a smart way. Right now the poll looks to be all over the place, which is good because then you can select pretty much any two or three types of games and make a unique one from those. Perhaps an adventure platform game with racing elements inbetween each world/level. Think a little like the Great American Cross-Country Road Race but with additional gameplay. Over at the Intellivision section, previously I envisioned a Spy Hunter type game that would involve various missions: pick up this document, investigate this criminal, transport these valuable goods etc and the racing would only be one part of the game with increased difficulty and elements as you increase in rank.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Looking for inspiration for the future projects, which new game (not a port) you would like to play the most on 8bit Atari? It doesn't have to be a game "pushing the limits" of the computer, but something that you feel you would spend the most time playing.

You might get some inspiration (or perspiration) from this thread: Top Games You'd Like to Have for Atari 8-Bits

• Like 2

SimCity was ported to many 8-bit computers but due to low resolution and lack of colours, most look like crap IMHO. That includes BBC, C64 and ZX Spectrum. Possibly the CPC version gets away. I don't know which video modes the A8 could use to pull off a similar game in a resolution where you can make heads and tails of what is going on. I know that you can use Amiga/ST and other mice on A8 (see e.g. NRJ's Pad) so controller probably isn't a problem if joystick is not enough.

This is a tough one to choose, because there are half a dozen genres I'd love to see on the 8-bit that haven't been done, or haven't been done good enough.  But, I had to settle on a racing game like Lotus or XJ220 as I love both of those games and I still feel the A8 could do so much better than what it's got for racing. TGACCRR seems to be a favorite A8 racer by many, but I never cared for it too much as it just reminded me of Enduro Racer from Activision on the 2600 with *barely* better graphics. I was never too impressed with the Cities rising in the distance because they stayed far away and were too small. I'd have liked to see buildings actually come up and race through like was done with Turbo. But I also never liked the timed only racing and how many cars can you pass racing or a combination of the two. I want REAL racing, with limited number of racing competitors to overtake or that can over take you and a bit of actual A.I. from the computer cars. but I can settle for "close enough" like Lotus and XJ220 if it has decent scenery and at least a few road side objects scaling at a time instead of ONE, like Pole Position and TGACCRR. I know the A8 can do better than what it has, even if it requires a smaller screen area to accomplish it.

E-type I think is the best looking racer on the A8, with a decent frame-rate and lots of roadside objects. In that sense, a lot like Lotus Turbo Challenge. But I didn't care for the need to run over the police (or anything) to get more time added on a clock and the fact that you are racing a clock anyway and still just passing random cars instead of actual racing. This game would be fantastic if you were really racing other cars. Again, yet another race against the clock and pass as many cars as you can like so many others on the A8. Even if the actual racing was just one-on-one like the original Need For Speed on the 3DO/PC/etc.

No more timed racing and no more pass as many cars as you can either/or and both racers PLEASE!!! I am so BORED of those types, and then to have sub-par graphics on top of it! I say look to E-type for graphic ideas (hopefully improved) but racing real opponents not a clock!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

SimCity was ported to many 8-bit computers but due to low resolution and lack of colours, most look like crap IMHO. That includes BBC, C64 and ZX Spectrum. Possibly the CPC version gets away. I don't know which video modes the A8 could use to pull off a similar game in a resolution where you can make heads and tails of what is going on. I know that you can use Amiga/ST and other mice on A8 (see e.g. NRJ's Pad) so controller probably isn't a problem if joystick is not enough.

Agreed a SimCity port may not come out too well, but I think some sort of City Building game could be done (by people more clever and creative than me).

Those are some great suggestions. To be honest I've checked each and everyone of them and voted :)

Atari really needs all of those. No wonder you've put them in the list as those are really missing from A8 library.

Question is just how hard it is to make one of those, and based on that you'll probably see shooter first and flight sim later.
I'll try to contribute at least in some parts next couple decades I hope. Let's see what we can make :)

• Like 1

Some of these genres wouldn't really do well on the Atari. Thinking about the limitations of the system, and making the most of what it does well, I think what would do well would be conversions of some fast paced, colourful 2D platformers like Sonic. Taking advantage of modern large, fast storage and programming tools would really let a good programmer showcase just how good the GTIA and ANTIC setup could be. Another game that I wish had made it to the 8-bit (since it did make it to the C64, and also the ST) was Rainbow Islands. 

I love city builder games like SimCity and strategy games like Civ, and while I suspect they'd easily be within the system capacity, I don't think they'd really show the platform at its best - the Atari 8 is much more impressive for it's colours and sprite hurling than it is for expansive high res playfields. 

• Like 2