IGNORED

Atari 600XL OS version small question

mikesk8

51 minutes ago, mikesk8 said:

Hi, I remember I have seen in all the documents that Atari 600XL has OS rev. 1, but I have just got one with rev.2 (PAL version made in Hong Kong; Basic is ver. B). Is it a common thing? thanks.

Yes version 2 is common. Only a few 600XL of the very first series were equipped with os version 1. It lacks pbi support.

Edited by GoodByteXL

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I don't think they update it often; probably too busy updating everything else on the site.

This guy keeps a nice updated version in PDF form.

Atari 8-bit FAQ

I have just opened it and it states most unit rev.1 (later ones rev 2) under Atari 600XL section; still small correction required :)

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure of the claim it lacks PBI support.

The first 600XL I had, I'm fairly sure was Rev 1 - one difference is that it will attempt coldstart straight away if the cartridge state changes where with later revisions the machine will just stop and you have to press Reset.

A quick look at the Rev01.ROM I have - at the least the IRQ service is checking $D1FF which is part of servicing PBI requests.

• Like 3

Yes, if it did lack PBI support then there'd either be a fairly big unused portion additional to the ~ hundred bytes just before $CC00 or the Atari logo code (which I imagine would be smaller than the PBI code) would be present.

I'm not sure my Rev01 is the proper one - it does have the immediate coldstart on cart state change but it crashes the machine if some of the patches are enabled in Atari800Win+ (though that said, the emu doesn't complain about it not matching known Roms or having a bad checksum)