IGNORED

Strange DOOM error-message

Fox-1 / mnx

Anyone ever had such strange error-message at the bottom of the screen when playing Doom?

When just walking a bit around in area8 in cheat-mode, suddenly the game was frozen and at the bottom was displayed:

"Player In Special Sector: unknown"

Have seen lot's of strange behaviour in network-mode, but this was just single-player mode.

Beats me...

post-3660-1061341837_thumb.jpg

>It happens when you walk through walls using the cheat mode

I never noticed one can walk thru walls in Jag-Doom. I know it's possible with Hexen3D for example, but that's on PC, not Jaguar...

Never thought I would experience anything new in Jag-doom after many years.

I'm sure that everyone who has played JagDoom(especially networked) has run into some cool(and weird) errors. I've been able to get a sort of "no clipping" mode while networked although it messed things up quite a bit and created an almost Melt-O-Vision effect throughout the walls. I'd have to say that the weirdest error I've ever ran across was splitting the screen up into four, the one in the upper left showed the gameplay, the upper right - the map, lower left another angle of my guy and the lower right black. I wish I could have gotten a pic of that one!

Say Thunderbird, did you ever think of making a special "JagDoom Network Mode" for BSphere were by just playing it'd come up with some crazy errors and such? OK, perhaps that'd be pointless bu maybe a little fun... :roll:

Adam

Say Thunderbird, did you ever think of making a special "JagDoom Network Mode" for BSphere were by just playing it'd come up with some crazy errors and such? OK, perhaps that'd be pointless bu maybe a little fun... :roll:

Sounds like 32X Doom mode in NBA Jam :D :lol:

Stone

Adam

Sounds like fun, but if it did that then I'm sure that someone would try to insist it was a bug.

Only vaguely related to this thread, but I remember when I first got Towers II. I started my first game, went and did about one action (like picked up an item or something), moved to the nearest corner, and saved the game. No idea why I saved the game already, I just did.

Turned off the game to go do something else, came back and turned it on, and what do you know, I'm stuck in the corner wall and can't move. I can rotate, but not move away.

Restarted my game, but never had the problem again even though I tried repeatedly to recreate it. Moral of the story: don't save next to a wall. ;)

I ran into that error once on Towers 2...it's rare but it will happen occasionally. Funny that you mention that game as I started playing it again recently...

(T-Bird)Sounds like fun, but if it did that then I'm sure that someone would try to insist it was a bug.

:wink: Oh yeah, I forgot how overly absurd some people can be in criticizing the slightest error in Bsphere...although I've yet to come across any so far.

Anyways, I was wondering, what is the recent progress on Doom+ (or whatever it's being called these days)??

Yeah that's a known error in the game.  It happens when you walk through walls using the cheat mode

And what cheat mode would that be? :ponder:

I've only ever gotten this error while running up the stairs in... ummm... I forget exactly which level. It's a pretty tall staircase that raises up from the floor.

Shaggy, the almost-Meltovision effect is known as "HOM", aka "Hall of Mirrors". Most FPS renderers don't actually erase the screen between frames, they just paint over it. So if you're looking at a part of the level that for whatever reason isn't getting redrawn, you'll see the cumulative contents of the previous frames. Half-Life even has a couple spots like this.