IGNORED

Please confirm I'm not missing some planned 1200xl fixes

Justin Payne

2 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

you are overthinking this.  Most of the time you'll be in Chroma/Luma mode, and on occasion when you want to see artifacting in games you will use Composite.

The switch in the SV mod disables Composite (for better Chroma/Luma).

Ok. So, most of the time I'd be in Chroma/Luma mode and for best picture, use the S-Video. If I want to see artifacting, I'd want to use the composite plugs which would mean either unplugging the composite_to_S-video adapter (Seen above) and plugging the composite plugs into my monitor OR have a cable that offers both composite and s-video, plug both of them in, and then just switch video inputs. Yes?

Also, if there is no switch with the UAV, how does this work when it comes to switching off the Chroma/Luma?

4 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

Ok. So, most of the time I'd be in Chroma/Luma mode and for best picture, use the S-Video. If I want to see artifacting, I'd want to use the composite plugs which would mean either unplugging the composite_to_S-video adapter (Seen above) and plugging the composite plugs into my monitor OR have a cable that offers both composite and s-video, plug both of them in, and then just switch video inputs. Yes?

Also, if there is no switch with the UAV, how does this work when it comes to switching off the Chroma/Luma?

S-Video IS Chroma and Luma - two RCA style cables for two separate signals, or if you use an adapter to the single SV connector with 4 pins.   There is no composite to S-Video adapter. That adapter takes Chroma and Luma and places them on the proper SVid 4 pin plug.   Composite video is yet another RCA cable that already combines Choma+Luma into a single signal.  Not to be confused with your RF jack, which also has an RCA plug or F connector thread on the TV.

In the case of a device the supports both SV and Composite you could plug all the jacks in, and tell the TV/Device to use one or the other as needed and for better picture, use the composite disable switch in the SV2.1 mod. Religious wars are fought over weather or not to actually cable them all at the same time .. at least the wars are based on sound logical reasoning.

UAV better isolates signals so a Composite disable switch isn't needed.

Remember, the 5 pin DIN jack on (some) Atari's carries 5 signals: Chroma, Luma, Composite, Audio, Ground. All wired differently than a C64 or other 5 pin DIN which is why the cable colors rarely match up to a "standard."

1 hour ago, kheller2 said:

S-Video IS Chroma and Luma - two RCA style cables for two separate signals, or if you use an adapter to the single SV connector with 4 pins.   There is no composite to S-Video adapter. That adapter takes Chroma and Luma and places them on the proper SVid 4 pin plug.   Composite video is yet another RCA cable that already combines Choma+Luma into a single signal.  Not to be confused with your RF jack, which also has an RCA plug or F connector thread on the TV.

In the case of a device the supports both SV and Composite you could plug all the jacks in, and tell the TV/Device to use one or the other as needed and for better picture, use the composite disable switch in the SV2.1 mod. Religious wars are fought over weather or not to actually cable them all at the same time .. at least the wars are based on sound logical reasoning.

Remember, the 5 pin DIN jack on (some) Atari's carries 5 signals: Chroma, Luma, Composite, Audio, Ground. All wired differently than a C64 or other 5 pin DIN which is why the cable colors rarely match up to a "standard."

So, as I suspected, I had to refresh my memory on how Composite and S-Video works. As far as the religious wars, I'd be in the the side of having both S-video and composite on the same cable but my guess is if people have taken sides, I assume it's not that cut and dried but if the 5-bin din carries both the Chroma & Luma (for S-video) and composite signal, that reinforces my desire for one cable that offers those two different video signals....unless it adds to noise for some reason.

I think this clears things up for me as well. For some reason I was thinking that the signal off all of these video improved the image so much that artifacting was mostly eliminated and that the switch was required to allow it to be used. So, for example, when people start up Altirra and complain that Ultima is all in black and white when, as we know, we need to enable artifacting under Configure System. From what I understand, if I want to see artifacting, I'll need to use the composite signal (using a composite cable) and for the rest, I can use an S-video cable. Is that about right? 

NOTE: I looked up "Artifacting" in Wikipedia and it did say artifacting is available via RF and composite so I guess I answered my own question.

Edited by Justin Payne
Added artifacting info.