IGNORED

What is the white stuff on SIO cables?

DavidMil

Some possibilities:

- I know in the old days some cables had talcum powder in them, which made them more flexible (reduced friction between internal cables). Is it spotted/powdery?

- Some kind of fungus maybe? Some of those cables are actual rubber instead of plastic compounds, and fungus can eat rubber.

- Maybe a dumb suggestion but if the cable was assembled at some point manually, it could have white stripe paint for positive line indication?

FWIW I have original era SIO cables and none of them have white stuff on them.

I've added a couple of pictures.  These pics doesn't show it very well as I have already cleaned the cable with 99% Isopropyl

Alcohol.  But you can see how it has disfigured the surface of the cable and left it rough and slightly scared.  I've seen this many

times and it is more common on power cords.

DavidMil

1172316951_SIOWhiteSubstanceonCable1.thumb.JPG.2fe8d5c9b8b6b49acb8f12ce3b3096a4.JPG

SIO White Substance on Cable 2.JPG

5 hours ago, Brentarian said:

Most definitely.  I have pulled cables out of styrofoam that had melted around them.  One of many reasons not store our Ataris in the attic.or storage shed.

I got a 600XL that had been stored in the original styrofoam with a vinyl cover laid on top. The foam had melted against the vinyl - took me hours to get it all cleaned/picked off the cover, and some spots have a bit of that same whitening.

Back to David’s original question, it looks to me like styrofoam or something else has partially melted against the vinyl insulation of the SIO cable, discoloring it a bit in spots. 

13 hours ago, DavidMil said:

I've added a couple of pictures.  These pics doesn't show it very well as I have already cleaned the cable with 99% Isopropyl

Alcohol.  But you can see how it has disfigured the surface of the cable and left it rough and slightly scared.  I've seen this many

times and it is more common on power cords.

In my opinion there's no point asking about the origin of mysterious stains, too many times we then wish we never asked afterwards lol
More seriously, however, that looks like some sort of chemical reaction, maybe from the surface it touched.
If cleaning up did not remove it all, then, so be it, the cable still works regardless, right? :P