IGNORED

Super Mario World bug

I looked at every possible exit I could find. I know the game too well, I've been playing the darn thing since 1991. Every single exit was opened. And yet the game still says I have a 95. Just to be sure, I beat Bowser using the back door. Still 95. I don't know what's wrong. Is it a bug?

I doubt it's a bug. Since you're familiar with the game, I'll assume you've double checked all the false exits on Star Road. So the next likely candidate is in the Forest of Illusion.

Double check the Forest Ghost House and make sure that you've indeed taken exit #2. This double backs to Forest of Illusion 1 and is easily missed if there's already an open path between the two if you had previously taken the secret exit in Forest of Illusion 1. 

If that doesn't do it, do the same thing with Forest of Illusion 1 and double check that you took the secret exit. Similar to above, the path between the two levels could be open since you did the secret exit in the Ghost House, but you may have forgotten to do the secret exit in Forest of Illusion 1.

You can't tell if both secret exits have been taken just by looking at the map since the map is only altered by the first of the two secret exits and isn't changed when you take the second. So it makes it an easy one even for a veteran player to miss when scanning the map for that last exit. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 6

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, atari2600land said:

OK, this is really a bug. If you beat Sunken Ghost Ship and then choose to go backwards (to #6 Wendy's Castle), there will be an eerie silence. The silence will end once you exit Chocolate world.

Is this an emulation thing or real cart? And it affected your exit count?

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Never noticed his before.  Where on the screen does it says exits.  I don't see that number in any videos.

It's the number next to your save file. For instance if you used the first save slot and have reached 54 exits, the save will be labeled "Mario A . . . 54".

The GBA port takes it a step further and adds a status screen that details what you've done for each level (Exits reached, if it was done while playing as Mario or Luigi, and the Dragon Coins are turned into tracked collectibles along the lines of the Star Coins in the New Super Mario franchise).

I feel slightly sorry for any kids that experienced the GBA port first, since the mystery of figuring this out on your own is now compromised a bit due to that modification. No mystery on where your missing exits are, how many exits remain to be found, if a Ghost House has one or two exits, etc. 

Edited by Atariboy

No, that's just an exploit that's wrecking havoc with the game. 

Calling that a 97th exit is like saying there's secret passages that lead below ground in Super Mario World, just because it's slightly buggy and you'll occasionally fall through the ground layer (While rare, I've fallen through on real hardware, official emulation, and on the Super Nt probably 20 times since I first played the game decades ago).

Edited by Atariboy

4 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Just found this.  Apparently there are 97 exits.

No, there aren't.  That is a glitch.  There are 96 legitimate exits.  Ever wonder why there's a star next to the number 96?  It's to signify that the player has completed all of the levels.  Don't let the speedrunning community warp your mind with their self-serving "logic".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Just found this.  Apparently there are 97 exits.

Thats totally an Arbitrary Code Execution video. It uses very specific inputs to modify whats in the systems RAM. If you've ever seen the video where someone plays pong in SMW, thats the same thing this video is doing.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:02 AM, atari2600land said:

OK, this is really a bug. If you beat Sunken Ghost Ship and then choose to go backwards (to #6 Wendy's Castle), there will be an eerie silence. The silence will end once you exit Chocolate world.

The game auto moves you into the Valley of Bowser upon beating the Sunken Ghost Ship. You're not able to override this to go backwards instead (free movement on the map isn't restored until after the save prompt when Mario stops on the level Valley of Bowser 1).

If you're saying that when returning from Valley of Bowser 1 to Chocolate Island by way of the Sunken Ghost Ship broke the world music on Chocolate Island, I can't say I've ever had that happen on my original cartridge on a real SNES (Or on the Super Nt, the Wii Virtual Console, Wii U Virtual Console, or the SNES Classic Edition). 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1