IGNORED

Great games that you hate?  Awful games that you love?

Razzie.P

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Tetris is a high score game, not a "beat the game" game. It's great for competition too.

Of course... still I maintain that there are more clever ways to increase challenge than just speeding up. But in Soviet Russia, you sort boxes faster and faster until you die. ? But to open up the context, I pretty much don't like most falling block-type games, it's just that obviously Tetris is the grandaddy of 'em all.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:06 AM, zzip said:

Pretty much,   since I grew up with this play style, it probably explains why I had trouble connecting with something like Super Mario Bros which hands out free lives like water and lets you hit continue almost forever.   It ended the social gaming we used to have where we played a few minutes, lost then passed the joystick to the next person and tried to beat each other scores.

To be fair, games were always a social thing when I was younger for the NES and later era games (even PC games). I mean, if it was arcade.. we'd watch our friends play (or even strangers play). To that effect, we did the same thing at our houses.. hung out and watched our friends play games. Basically what twitch is today, but in person. But we also took turns even on lives/deaths, levels, or just games. We even did this for RPGs. We even recorded ourselves beating games on VHS.. and pass the tape around so friends could add theirs to it (and then make final copies of the tape). Sometimes you just wanted to sit back and watch a longplay of a game.. we did that hahah.

Edited by turboxray

Game that I dislike but people like:

There's a lot of popular games I'm not really a fan of.. generally modern stuff (although I do like many modern games also), but I guess Minecraft is the big one. I could write a paragraph about it, but really the bottom line is: I just don't get it. :lol:

Game that I like but people dislike:

Space Invaders (I & II arcade). Ok this is kind of anomoly because it USED to be well loved, is fully acknowledged by everyone for its place in history, etc.  But let's face it, people today normally have zero interest in playing it. ? Or they think it's boring, or *gasp* the 2600 version is superior (what a bad take lol). Anyway, that's honestly all fair.. we've had decades of video game evolution that followed it after all.  Although I think it's also that most everyone has forgotten how to play it, or were never around to see the deliberate pacing, strategy, and secrets, etc., and they end up just trying to play it like they're playing Galaxian which is a pretty bad way to play it. Anyway, I love the game since I was a kid and play it a bunch. Even after years of not touching it, I'll go back and get addicted for a while. Currently I'm playing it on Switch. :)

1866143508_2021-09-2722_29.45-1.thumb.jpg.3076da150fb1b74527ad58396ffa23d4.jpg