IGNORED

Today is a good day - 2 x 1050 drives and help identifying if one has an old school HAPPY or US Doubler enhancement

Beeblebrox

Hi @Beeblebrox,

I tried reading the DumpedLazer.atr using atari800 on Linux, but just got 000 free sectors when I did a directory listing from DOS 2.5, so I think something has gone wrong. I also looked at the ATR in a hex file viewer, as did @sup8pdct, and saw there is some text mentioning Happy Computers, so it may well be a Happy clone. I started to look for the rom dumps of my Lazer drives, to see if they had the same text, but my laptop crashed twice in a row (literally beep, power down), so I'm making (updating) backups at the moment! Hoping the laptop is not on its last legs as I don't fancy getting a new one with so many supply chain problems at the moment.

Also, when I have run Dump1050 on Lazer and Happy drives, I've noticed that Happy drives implement one more command than Lazers do, I think it's the 1050 diagnostic command (I can't remember which character that is though), so that is another test you can use to see if it's a Lazer or Happy (I will get back on the exact details once I am sure my laptop is OK and backed up).

The quickest test might just be running the Happy 7.1 disks, and running the diagnostics, though I have a Happy clone that runs the Happy software, but fails one of the Happy diagnostics (I think RAM/ROM test, but it's 2+ years since I tested it).

Thanks again for the feedback on Dump1050, and hope you get the other drive fixed up too!

@sup8pdct @E474 

Thanks both for lookin at the dump file.

You would see the Dump1050 program because as mentioned I copied it to the real disk at the time alongside the 2 files the dump1050.exe dumped to the real disk when I ran it from DOS 2.5 on the 800XL with the drive plugged in.

The only way I could see of converting the real disk into the ATR I then posted was using Disk Wizard II loaded via APE to copy the real disk to a new blank ATR created in APE for Windows and mounted as drive 2. The only thing I neglected to do was write DOS 2.5 to the original real disk at the start. I plan to do so when I have a mo and try and dump the ROM again. :thumbsup: I'll also re-run the Happy 7.1 software to see what it does. 

This is my original post after I had uploaded the ATR to AA:

...... I'll do it again and this time pop the Dos 2.5 files on the disk before I use the dump 1050 software to dump the Rom to it. I am basically using APE for Windows to boot Disk Wizard II on the 800XL, then copying the physical disk containing the Rom dump files Dump1050 created and saved to it to an new Atr image via my Atarimax sio2pc USB link. Odd the Copy write Happy Computing shows up. 

Hi @Beeblebrox,

Thanks again, not sure how to use the APE setup, as I don't have one myself, so can't advise. Dump1050 should work with any DOS as it shouldn't collide with DOS's memory usage (I think it starts at $2000, but can't remember offhand), and uses standard OS CIO calls for I/O, so is "well behaved". Can you copy the files by booting to DOS, and just using file copy to D2?

Just now, E474 said:

Hi @Beeblebrox,

Thanks again, not sure how to use the APE setup, as I don't have one myself, so can't advise. Dump1050 should work with any DOS as it shouldn't collide with DOS's memory usage (I think it starts at $2000, but can't remember offhand), and uses standard OS CIO calls for I/O, so is "well behaved". Can you copy the files by booting to DOS, and just using file copy to D2?

@E474  Sure, when I have a mo I'll try again and this time copy to D2 (which will be the mounted ATR in APE), the files from the disk. Maybe it was something to do with the ATR created in APE. I am pretty new to APE for Windows myself. THanks