IGNORED

Atari STE Mouse with click problems intermittently

Hi guys, at first though it was an issue with the old STM1 Atari mouse (microswitch buttons) but now I have connected a new USB mouse through a NETUSBEE and I'm having the same issues.

Sometimes, not always, the mouse behaves really bad and I cannot almost make click anywhere. Mouse movement is fine, but I can hardly select an icon and double click is almost impossible. Dragging something is also impossible. 

But....  it doesn't happen all the time. When I reset the machine a few times, If I'm lucky the mouse works perfectly. I can select icons, drag & drop works, double click works perfectly.

It happens with two different mouse, connected to two different ports, so I have to rule out a mouse problem or a port problem.

Anybody have suffered something similar? Could be related to the reset circuit malfunctioning? 

The machine has almost all mandatory fixes, recapped PSU, etc. No other problems so far.

Ideas?

Agv

On 9/18/2021 at 5:19 AM, TGB1718 said:

Does sound like an OS/memory problem, have you tried re-seating the ROM chips, I'm assuming RAM is soldered in.

This is an STE so memory chips are in DIMM sockets. ROM chips seems to be well seated (I did it anyway). 

In the meantime I have replaced the CPU with a low power version (68HC000) and it seems to work OK so far, but I have to test it more. 

Thanks for answering!