IGNORED

Sony PVM-20M2/4E and TI 99?

ralphb

My new Sony already has a very nice composite NTSC picture (shown too bright here).

sony-composite.thumb.jpg.8f0138b6784eacffce849cc34c0622b4.jpg

For component, though, the above cable I ordered doesn't work yet.  I tried both the internal and the external component interface, but I guess the pin layout of the TI 99 differs from whatever the seller used.  Also, the cable has two connectors labeled H and V, but I need Sync and Audio.  Anyway, I've asked him about the pin layout of the cable, I hope it's compatible.

Component cable don't have an external sync.

But, I don't know if the cable outputs are shared. Like that cable is for component AND RGB.

Those monitors have a setting for int. or ext. sync. Check that setting.

If the Ti99 does RGB and thats a RGB cable - connect the H line to the Sync on the PVM.

Thanks for the suggestions, H454.  It is indeed an RGB cable, which cannot be used for the TI 99.  He also sent me his (or her) wiring, and they connected R-Y of the TI to GND, which doesn't have a connector at all.

But I asked the seller if they would do a custom cable for me, since the RGB cable also seems custom.

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/texas-instruments-ti-994a/95-texas-instruments-ti-99-4a-component-video-cable-euro-models.html
what about this one?

below shop used to sell a component cable for the pal ti-99, but they removed it from their online store due to complaints because consumers thought it is a YUV cable working with every tv in the world. you might still get one, if you send a mail and tell them you are aware of potential compatibility issues.

https://www.retrocomputershack.com/RCS-Website/Products-Page/index.html

component-cable.jpg

In the end there is not much magic inside the cable, no diodes or logic, simple 6 pin to 5 indiviual plugs.

Your new monitor (yes!) has SCART input as well or only BNC? There is the italian mini PAL RGB device you could use for RGB.

• Thanks 1

Interesting!  Ian replied that there's a reason he doesn't do component cables for the TI:

[...] the video signals are not standard Component video [...] if your lucky enough to actually get a picture, the colours will be wrong

Do you notice that the Sony's picture is off-color, Klaus?