IGNORED

Kings of Edom pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

4 hours ago, Isgoed said:

Did you have to pay import fees/taxes, or did it slip through the net?

No tax paid, it delivered by royal mail direct. I know the system is complicated, so I don't know whether postage covers some of that. I paid the extra for tracked/insured. All legit, package is all done as required. 

2 hours ago, Saturn said:

I shoulda! But my young n's lost interest a while back. I haven't had a chance to play yet but still on the to do list :)

No problem, it is still possible to win the race to find the 11 lost crowns first.

I will give 2 of these away to people that helped me with the game (which I am very greateful for). So I will only keep one copy for myself in the end.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 2

Funny, the first couple of nights I played the game I managed to find 5 crowns - but I've been playing it hours every night since, and can't see to find any more.  I usually manage to make it to level 6 or 7, and then eventually get ground down and bumped off by the baddies.  Well, I'm off to try again for another couple of hours.

1 hour ago, ls650 said:

I usually manage to make it to level 6 or 7,

You have to make it to the later levels to find more crowns. You could have found 5, or 6 crowns at most.

The possibility for one new type of crown (to be spawned) is added for each level starting from level 2.

The location of the crown on the hendecagram in clockwise direction (starting slightly to the left of the top) indicates at which level it can be spawned.

16234215230191377721889132866091.jpg.dbb2d26f39620891a42ce1aadf460958.thumb.jpg.051bd6c3a579f4441cc3a6763b871b62.jpg

Note that a crown enabled at a certain level might actually be spawned on a later level, as the chance for it to be spawned increases by each level. So on the later levels, it is not uncommon to find multiple crowns.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

Still playing it most days, I'm a glutton for punishment so this game does me just fine ;) throughly recommend for anyone who was a fan of fatal labyrinth, and to be honest if you weren't a super fan of the game and just want to see what a more polished and nicer looking version of it would look like... Kings of Edom is that. When the second run comes, get your copy! 

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying my copy. I've been playing it maybe 2 hours a day since I received it a week ago, and there's still plenty of play in it.

One thing that I haven't seen posters other mention are the controls.  I think the button layout used is really good.  Once you've played it for a few minutes, the controls become very intuitive and they just flow nicely.

Out of curiosity, I searched on eBay to see if anyone was charging exorbitant prices for a copy of Kings of Edom, and I found this T-shirt, which also outlines all the names of the crowns used in the game!  :D

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224626557056

EdomT.png

Edited by ls650
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ls650 said:

I'm really enjoying my copy. I've been playing it maybe 2 hours a day since I received it a week ago, and there's still plenty of play in it.

One thing that I haven't seen posters other mention are the controls.  I think the button layout used is really good.  Once you've played it for a few minutes, the controls become very intuitive and they just flow nicely.

Out of curiosity, I searched on eBay to see if anyone was charging exorbitant prices for a copy of Kings of Edom, and I found this T-shirt, which also outlines all the names of the crowns used in the game!  :D

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/224626557056

EdomT.png

Yes on the control side of things, it's very easy to handle and the 3 main buttons and 2 menu buttons are mapped nicely for all the features. I don't have a pro controller, but my understanding is that would help even more to make it smooth. I do struggle a bit with pressing the map button on my standard controller but I'm not a natural with the jaguar pad. 

I think the days of people selling new Jag games like this on ebay for high prices are gone as most games released now are available for ever so no one will pay over the odds for a game that will be back in stock again at some point soon or that will always be available - The days of Another World or Flappy Mcfur high prices on ebay for recently released games will never happen again unless someone releases a proper Limited Run of a certain game... High ebay prices are no more for new games like this one, it's been the same for a long time with all new releases in recent years still available except maybe Defender of the Crown which may have finally now sold out that 300 limited run so maybe that might become an item that sells for more than it cost on ebay someday but certainly not any other recent game... It's kind of nice not having to chase and pay for a game on immediate release as sometime funds are tight so it's nice to know any new game will be available until you can afford to buy it... I remember chasing the second run copies of Another World and also getting in an order as soon as possible for Flappy Mcfur, I guess the downside of that is the developer maybe doesn't get as many immediate orders in for a game, but I'd prefer it like that rather than always chasing any newly released game and worrying if you didn't get an order in as soon as possible you would miss out on a new Jaguar game.

• Like 1

I'd much rather my games were permanently available via a store.

Just my opinion, but unless its required for licensing issues, announcing a limited run just to boost quick sales is a bit of a dick move, especially if there is another run immediately following.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, JaggingUK said:

I think the days of people selling new Jag games like this on ebay for high prices are gone

I am glad that it is like that, because then I am lead to belive that people are actually playing the game (or intend to do so when they get time). Hopefully people also intend to keep the game for future enjoyment, or sell locally to someone who is reluctant to import, or simply did not hear about it.

I am also glad the a second run was announced emmidately, to prevent speculation (e.g. unfair prices)

It was also clearly stated in this message that there would be more games available if there was an interest for it:

Please also note that it takes a while to build (and test) 100 games, and I can understand if someone wants a little time before the promised delivery date for the next run.

Currently I cannot find a single copy on eBay (19 Nov. 2021), but I do find that cool t-shirt (first spotted by @ls650) displaying the names of the edomite rulers on the hendecagram.

Finally I want to say that I am very greatful to all of you who supported, and belived in me by buying the game. This gives me better chances to continue to do what I like. Hopefully this will also allow me to negotiate better deals with the publishers in the future.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, JaggingUK said:

no one will pay over the odds for a game that will be back in stock again at some point soon or that will always be available

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. We've seen Jaguar homebrews being sold on eBay even when you can buy a brand-new copy from the author for cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I will not turn this into a thread into a philosofical topic, but I took some time to try and understand myself what the mythological kingdoms of Edom represent.

I think that I read somewhere (I cannot recall the source) that there were 11 kindoms that god destroyed, as a result of the second day of creation.

The second day of creation represent the force of separation, e.g. the skies and the oceans were separated. This also represent the sephiroth Gevurah on the tree of life:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gevurah

The kingdoms of Edom were not sustainable, as the force of Gevurah was unbalanced there. E.g. a world where only  judgement, and separation prevails will disintegrate by itself.

The counterforce, or the aspect that can balance Gevurah is Chesed, which represent kindness and love between people:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesed

I also remember reading somewhere (the source I cannot recall), that god would have saved the kingdoms of Edom if there would only had been 2 righteous (or loving?) persons there. Because it takes two for mutual love between people.

After the kindoms of Edom were destroyed, the garden of Eden rose.

(note the play with words here)

PS. This is pure speculation on my side, which is based on mythology, and religion. Since I cannot recall some of the sources I cannot guarantee that this is a correct interpretation. So please take this discussion for what it is?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. We've seen Jaguar homebrews being sold on eBay even when you can buy a brand-new copy from the author for cheaper.

I still believe its mostly phased out or limited releases. I haven't seen even one bootleg of the newer AA releases yet.

For Kings of Edom, I have a different POV. A run of 100 copies is not that small and usually a good indication for above average demand.

The average run for a new Jag game is between 100 and 200 copies. So if you can sell 100, it's good. I thought a limit to 100 copies was a conservative approach by Songbird, but I think its somewhat legit to make a game more desirable by limiting the first run to a reasonable number of copies.

But let's not overrate the impact of such a tactic. If a game is not good or more niche genre, it will struggle to even sell a 100. 

I am happy that KoE proved to be very popular among fans, that is not taken for granted. Its a good sign for every developer. I firmly believe that the popularity of a new game is a question of genre choice and the quality of execution. Thanks for supporting new Jaguar games and software!

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...