IGNORED

Atari 400 PSU Issue - Help Needed

RetroKrazy

I recently purchased an Atari 400 (PAL model) and recapped the power board however, the voltages when tested are all over the place. I was wondering if anyone had any experience diagnosing these power boards?

All electroltic caps have been replaced Vishay/Nichicon equivilants and polarity quadruple checked.

Replaced CR201 
Replaced CR202/CR203
Replaced 7805 (twice) and even tried with a Traco Power which made the measured voltage worse!

Replaced 7812 (twice)

Current Voltages
Output at 7805 is 6v, not 5v
Output at 7812 is 3.9v not 12v
-5v reads as -12v on header
GND reads as -7v on header
Voltage at Bridge Rectifier is just over 7v DC
Input voltage is 12vAC (well within operating specs of the 78xx chips)

The board is being tested with no load and the RF Modulator unplugged (PAL Spec - it lifts out) as I was unwilling to plug it into the mainboard until the power board was sorted. S202 is being held down for testing however the -7v at ground is bothering me. If ground were correct, then the -5v and +12v would read correct and the 6v at 5a and 5b could be attributed to having no load.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 11:19 AM, TGB1718 said:

I would try loading the power supply, some high wattage resistors across the +5V and 12V outputs

something like a 10 Ohm across the 5V and maybe anything between 30 and 100 ohms across the 12V

see what they read then

Cheers, will order some and try that. On holiday ATM so will be when I'm back.

2 hours ago, ClausB said:

Huh? Relative to what? Where are you placing the black lead of the voltmeter?

What were the readings before recapping? Was there a reason for recapping?

Recapped as electrolitics are over 40 years old. Was not powered up to test prior so no previous voltage readings. -ve electrode on ground plane and +ve on each header.

Will retest when back from holiday at various points on the board in case the points I chose were referenced to AC voltage however shouldn't be. 

And while I agree that the original caps could still be good, I am unwilling to risk a system for the sake of spending a bit on new ones. 

Others may have a different experience, however, I have had few electrolytics go bad on this old Atari gear.  The few that I have found that gave gone bad are the small electrolytics.... and those were in a 1050.  I haven't run into a bad cap in a 400 or 800. 

The capacitors there are generally not stressed and exposed to crazy high temps.... so they tend to last incredibly long (by today's standards).

By no means is this a declaration of fact... just relaying my experiences. 

And something is odd about your measurements.  I question if you were really on the ground plane, because unless you've taken out 2 5V regulators, or somehow have something bleeding some 12V source into the 5V source, Not sure how you'd be getting 6V on the 5V line.  My guess is what you were using for your negative lead wasn't the DC ground.

Good luck, you are in the right place to track it down.

1 hour ago, cwilbar said:

Not sure how you'd be getting 6V on the 5V line.

The 400/800 have a 33 ohm resistor between Vin and Vout of the +5V regulator. This is used to deliver extra current beyond what the regulator provides, but if there isn't enough current demand it increases Vout because of insufficient voltage drop. If there is no load/current on the +5V rail Vout will equal Vin because of this resistor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after a LOT of checking, re-checking and checking again, one tiny bit of feedback started me thinking and led me to the solution. Or rather, showed me what an idiot I'd been. I'm so used to DC voltages that I never thought to ensure the -ve lead was on after the bridge recifier... So bring on the jibes, jokes, slagging and insults :lol:

So I used a 10 ohm, 10W resistor pushed through either the 5a or 5b header and fixed the other end to ground (yeah, DC ground before anyone says :P ). This provided enough 'load' to test the 5v rails and mine show rock solid at 4.98v now. -5v and 12v show correctly without any load resistor.

Thanks to all who helped out and look at it this way, with the diodes, caps and power regulators all done, this should be great for decades to come!

• Haha 1