IGNORED

1050 ROM archive

cwilbar

I know I've read several threads over the last few years on Atari 1050 drive ROMs.  Tandon vs WST mechs, stepper phase setup differences between the two, REV E, REV L, REV J, REV K, etc, plus

US Doubler (Tandon), US Doubler (WST), hacked USD for Tandon with faster stepping, hacked USD for Tandon with faster stepping and improved ED and DD sector skews, etc.

What I think would be great (as I just was trying to re-read and collect this stuff), is to maybe have a 'master' thread (possibly sticky?) with all the 1050 ROMs, so that searches would only need to go to one place for a master ROM archive for the 1050.

I also haven't even touched on if Happy had different firmware for Tandon and WST, or should Happy only be used on a Tandon (due to stepper motor phase drive differences?) ?  How about 1050 Archiver ?

I know @Nezgar along with a few others (who's names are escaping me without doing further searching) have done a lot of investigation in this area.

Maybe there is already a master area, in which case, can someone point me to it ? ....

Hope others find value in this idea and can help out contribute to it.

I would be happy to put up Supermax rom. and a modified supermax to make it more compatible ie added the usd special format command and added back in a delay that allows more protected disks to work.

Supermax never had different versions for the tandon/WST mechs . So would assume same for all other upgrades. The ICD catalog never said anything about it.

James

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to finally locating some 1050 roms here in the forums, I did find this site:

https://atari.fox-1.nl/atari-400-800-xl-xe/400-800-xl-xe-tools/atari-1050-roms-and-source-code/

That has a collection of stock ROMs.

I don't know what the difference between Rev K Modified and World Storage ROMs are ?  As I understood it Rev K Modified was for the WST mechs.  So not sure what the different "World Storage" ROM this site has is.

I found these I had pulled down at some point:

1050-revJ.rom
1050-revK.rom
1050-revL.rom
Atariage 1050 USDoubler with SpeedStep for Tandon.BIN

Usdblr_err.wst.rom

Nezgar-usdblr-Tandon-DDED-fast.rom

The Rev J, K, and L are for Tandon, the USD one with faster stepping for Tandon (presume it is using the correct phase encodings), and usdblr_err.wst.rom which is a usd rom with wst stepping speed and I believe correct phase encodings for WST.  Also have one I presume was from @Nezgar for fast stepping on a Tandon mech (It is different from the other USD with a faster step by ).  I have not pulled down the RevK modified (out of the ATR file from the above linked site), nor the World Storage one (again out of the ATR from that linked site). 

Wonder if anyone has ever made a happy rom with wst stepping (I haven't searched yet) ?

Here are the MD5s and CRC32s of the above files I have:

MD5 (1050-revJ.rom) = dd296b6e2aacfd89cc94cc7e6dcebfd3
MD5 (1050-revK.rom) = 5acf59fff75d36a079771b34d7c7d349
MD5 (1050-revL.rom) = 2575d0514c5fe2dd6f5bd3f0ec434eb7
MD5 (Atariage 1050 USDoubler with SpeedStep for Tandon.BIN) = d2af5adc320819ef17ec91f9b0413fbe
MD5 (Usdblr_err.wst.rom) = 77e1760244e044551ad67d6463ef7bdf
MD5 (Nezgar-usdblr-Tandon-DDED-fast.rom) = 8641591d285dbb372793e0cb63835bbf

91ba303d    1050-revJ.rom
3abe7ef4    1050-revK.rom
fb4b8757    1050-revL.rom
378e608c    Atariage 1050 USDoubler with SpeedStep for Tandon.BIN
0c42c87b    Usdblr_err.wst.rom
bbaae385    Nezgar-usdblr-Tandon-DDED-fast.rom

Still trying to collect, properly ID and document what each are.  I'm confident on the JKL roms.  I'm not sure what the diffs are between the two faster stepping tandon mech USD Roms.

If I can get an idea of what all these are, and any other good images, when done I'll attach them all to this thread so we can have a central place to go to for 1050 roms. 

On 10/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, cwilbar said:

I seem to recall when ordering the USD years ago for my original 1050 that I had to provide the mech type.... but that was so many years ago.... that memory may not be accurate anymore ?

I do recall them asking if you had a ROM or EPROM (and the WST's are always EPROM)

I have to extract the Rev K Modified and World Storage ROMs from the ATR archive on the site I linked. 

Are these both for World Storage ?  I can see from the site they have different CRC32 values.... so I don't know what is different there.

I'll grab the Rev E and Rev H.

Also, I wasn't on the ball on the modified USD ROMs listed.... one a mod for WST dirives, and the other is one for Tandons modified with a faster step rate (unsure if it maintains the 3 steps forward, 1 back on forward seeks or not.... anyone know ?).

Anyone aware of any Happy enhancement ROMs modified for proper WST stepping ?

And does the Happy ROM keep the Tandon 3 steps forward, one back process on forward seeks ?

I just found this link

http://www.realdos.net/MegaDownload.html

I had to laugh at the files called SUPMAx.ROM

The supermax upgrade has an 8k rom. 4k for supermax , 4k for normal 1050 rom (not sure which version) select able with a switch for protected software that wont work with the max rom. 1 and 3 are max rom, 2 and 4 are std 1050 !!??. File is speedy-roms.atr

Supermax was an Aussie 1050 upgrade developed by Will Visser. It has commands of 21 22 50 52 53 57 4E 4F 3F 67 68 69. It works with Superdos.

Command 67 resets the FDC and turns off drive motor, 68 just returns Ack. 69 is special format command. It only supports single and double high speed sector layout and will format according to the percom control block sent previous. Sector tables are built in. It supports USD sio speeds.

A delay has been removed to make things quicker but breaks some copy protected programs.

It has a switch to revert to original 1050 rom for those instances.

I now own it and 1st thing i did was to dissemble it and add command 66.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

It's a bit of a bump for this topic, but I am looking for an actual Atari 1050 Lazer ROM dump to compare mine to.

OS2_LAZR.064

I just discovered that the ROM code I am running on my Lazer drives is the same as Nir Dary's 'home made upgrade' for which I am a little amazed.

1050 Upgrade.rom

From: ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/nir_dary_cds/Hardware Projects/1050 Home Made Upgrade

It appears that the triple 1050 OS I made years ago which contains 1050 ROM Rev K code and ICD USD Rev K code plus the Lazer, has been in my WD2797 drive for years and has been running them with no apparent problems, mainly with the Lazer option.

The main question that I have is whether this 'Lazer' ROM code is actually suitable for a WD2797 FDC? I want to update the other two to Rev. L anyway.