IGNORED

White box Donkey Kong???

the_wizard_666

Capture.thumb.PNG.79bfc19ec9f2196c3b0d6a44711f2efc.PNG

So I was browsing through the local overpriced lots and stumbled on something I've personally never seen...a weird white box Donkey Kong.  It seems like the Coleco release as opposed to the Atari one, but I'm not really sure what to make of it.  The price tag is asinine...but I would like a bit more information on it before completely disregarding the ad.  Any of you more knowledgeable folks able to comment?

EDIT: I'm also in Canada (hence the French in the image), in case that info is pertinent.

Edited by the_wizard_666

Naw, I'm basically looking for some games to test some consoles I intend to repair.  Just moved and my collection is in another city.  Pretty much just looked at it because there were a few boxes I didn't already have, and a bunch of carts to sell...but not worth the asking price.  19 boxed games for $250, with DK and Gorf being the highlights...yeah, I'll pass.

I seem to recall that Donkey Kong was the pack-in game with the Gemini for a while. I wonder if that was the origin of the "generic" box.

(Ironically, I too am soon moving -- albeit much closer to the city where my Atari collection has resided for the past 23+ years!)

43 minutes ago, jhd said:

I seem to recall that Donkey Kong was the pack-in game with the Gemini for a while. I wonder if that was the origin of the "generic" box.

(Ironically, I too am soon moving -- albeit much closer to the city where my Atari collection has resided for the past 23+ years!)

If my CIB Gemini is any indication, no...but then I have no idea if it was pieced together or not.

Also ironically, I was living in Calgary before moving here :P

• Like 1

I believe these generic white boxes were Coleco's economic approach to the bilingual requirement for the Canadian market. Carts were repackaged in generic white boxes with an English/French label slapped on them. IIRC over the years such boxes also surfaced for Mouse Trap and maybe a couple other Coleco releases.

• Like 2

That sounds more probable in my opinion.  I did notice the bilingual text and figured it was a Canada-specific thing, and being a later variant (or possibly a very early one) makes the relative rarity make a bunch more sense.

Basically, since I'd never seen them before, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't passing on a potential centrepiece item.  My expertise is with the NES...while I'm pretty well versed with most consoles, there's a ton of stuff that I'm simply unaware of.  I've always felt it better to ask a stupid question than to miss out on a potential steal.  On the plus side, considering the asking price, my wallet is happy to pass this up :P