IGNORED

XEGS keyboard to USB Adapter?

scotty

5 hours ago, scotty said:

Does such a thing exist?    Would love to use the XEGS keyboard with Altirra, but do not want to do any permanent mods to it.

There is existing a USB-Mod for the XE series (65/800/130).

All you need is an Arduino Leonardo Board and some electronic / soldering skills. 
You can slighty customize this solution as external Mod to use it with an XEGS Keyboard 

-> Making a Retro Atari 65XE as an USB-keyboard

Cheers,

andY

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, scotty said:

Does such a thing exist?    Would love to use the XEGS keyboard with Altirra, but do not want to do any permanent mods to it.

I've not seen one, there are a bunch of 'convert my keyboard to usb' type mods around for XL/XE keyboards but I've never seen an XEGS one. The XEGS keyboard is so terrible most people go the other way and use a TK-II or Aki to interface a PS/2 keyboard with the XEGS. Typing in an emulator with an XEGS keyboard would be a miserable experience, it's probably why no one has done it. 

Having said all that, there is a project going on right now to replace the XE keyboard with a mechanical one using the original keycaps and the PCB for that has space for a Pi-pico which can be used as a USB interface. It occurs to me that a version of that PCB designed to fit the XEGS keyboard case would be the best of both worlds. You could have an authentic looking xegs keyboard with much improved feel plugged into your pc for emulation that still worked with your XEGS. It's a shame XEGS keyboards are so expensive on ebay or I'd get one and put it in the 'future projects' box.  

It doesn't fit your requirement to not mod the original keyboard though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TemplarXB said:

Keep in mind it an XEGS keyboard isn’t going to have the Start/Select/Reset/Option buttons either. 

Good point but there are walk arounds for that such as mapping to the game controllers and or getting a icade adapter  for db9 controllers and mapping them there.

that being said very good point. It’s too bad we can’t find a close to Atari st pc keyboard. Where it would be a proper pc keyboard with they Atari look. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

someone could just make one...

If I could I would 

ide want one that looked the the Atari Xe but based on my Logitech k400+ for my htpc in my living room! That would be heaven.

if Atari box errr Vcs hours of gone with a xe or st design I would of not been able to resist buying it.

Edited by oo7