IGNORED

I'm loading Silent Service from a vinyl record :)

nowy80

I love the sound of a vinyl record. It is very warm and palpable. I have a turntable connected to a tube amplifier. The sound of loading the game is also very pleasant and vivid. The SIO sound interface was produced by Piotr Bugaj from Poland. It is a device that converts the audio signal from RCA to SIO (mono). I used a cable for my bass guitar. Any real copper will work and has no effect on creating the sound :)

Edited by nowy80

12 minutes ago, nowy80 said:

Any real copper will work and has no effect on creating the sound :)

Sorry, the cable thing was a joke. Should have put a smiley behind it :)

Edit: Is that interface available for sale somewhere? Would be nice if it also supported stereo and replay the non-data side on SIO audio in, but by the looks of it, it is mono only.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ivop said:

Be sure to use gold plated monster cables for an even warmer experience!

Nice SIO interface! Any schematics?

Here is a thread about a similar interface with schematics, it shouldn't be too hard to also connect the other channel to the SIO audio input if desired(it would probably need to be amplified).

Edited by BillC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

They've put an article about this at Atariteca https://www.atariteca.net.pe/2021/10/cargan-juegos-de-atari-8-bits-desde.html

Nice that they keep up with current events, now if only they'd fix the text contrast on their website.

Many thanks! Please, could you send me a screenshot of the text issue via PM?

And, in order to not derail the topic, I'd like to ask Pawel if the record was a "single" or LP.

Best regards,

Edited by Yautja

12" at 45 rpm is usually called an EP.  Generally they were 9-12 minutes of music on a side if I remember correctly.

Though the amount of music you'd get on a record would be pretty variable.  A studio album would be usually 4-5 songs a side so 20-25 minutes but you'd get those compilation ones where they'd cram 15-20 songs on and they'd usually go closer to 40 minutes a side.

Thanks to Rybags for the link and the article. I am sending a turntable sound sample recorded by a grabber connected to the Atari. I got some questions about the production of this vinyl for Atari collectors. If 10 people gather, they will be happy to carry out such production. It will be cheaper than my single disc. If they were interested, please give me a private message :)

https://www.szybkiplik.pl/9M3NHXGX3Y

4 hours ago, Fred_M said:

So you created and ordered one copy of the record. That is quite an expensive hobby ;-)

Here's one in Belgium that cuts records:

https://www.dubplate.be/nl/informatie-gepersonaliseerde-plaat

€55,= for a double sided LP, 14 minutes per side.

In The Netherlands, one that presses vinyl for volumes as low as 50:

https://www.centraalmuziekhuis.com/vinylpersen/

€16,90 with full color artwork, if you order 50 pcs. Price drops quickly for larger volumes ;)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ivop said:

Here's one in Belgium that cuts records:

https://www.dubplate.be/nl/informatie-gepersonaliseerde-plaat

€55,= for a double sided LP, 14 minutes per side.

In The Netherlands, one that presses vinyl for volumes as low as 50:

https://www.centraalmuziekhuis.com/vinylpersen/

€16,90 with full color artwork, if you order 50 pcs. Price drops quickly for larger volumes ;)

This is a good offer. However, it is worth checking how much an extra minute costs on a vinyl record. It is also worth verifying the grammage of the plate and the cost of printing the cover :)

50 minutes ago, nowy80 said:

This is a good offer. However, it is worth checking how much an extra minute costs on a vinyl record. It is also worth verifying the grammage of the plate and the cost of printing the cover :)

Extra minutes (up to 4 extra minutes per side on an LP) cost €2,50 per minute, so 18 minutes per side would set you back €75,=. (The Belgian cutter). Their prices include a full color cover and center labels. 300 dpi, 3720 x 3720 pixels.

Perhaps we should create a remake of the megacd project,  with the option to swap left and right (similar to the current design), or to feed right to SIO audio-in. That way, you can either cut a mono track of your favorite band as the right channel while loading, or (similar to the megacd project), you can have two games at each side. One on the left channel, one on the right.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ivop said:

Extra minutes (up to 4 extra minutes per side on an LP) cost €2,50 per minute, so 18 minutes per side would set you back €75,=. (The Belgian cutter). Their prices include a full color cover and center labels. 300 dpi, 3720 x 3720 pixels.

Perhaps we should create a remake of the megacd project,  with the option to swap left and right (similar to the current design), or to feed right to SIO audio-in. That way, you can either cut a mono track of your favorite band as the right channel while loading, or (similar to the megacd project), you can have two games at each side. One on the left channel, one on the right.

I will write again, it's a good price. 75 Euro = 86,77 USD :)

I must be a chagrin but I totally fail to see the point of this. 

And I'm a vinyl lover........ for music. I have a pretty sizable vinyl collection and pretty decent audio equipment.

Then again, I also completely fail to see the "charm" of loading stuff from cassettes. I guess in my youth I was too envious of 1050 owners for too long....

Edited by Level42