IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Repair?

TempterOfFate

1 hour ago, JagChris said:

There are videos online if this being done. You can probably take it to any local electronics place and see if they will do it. 

Thanks. I've been looking around and think I found someone to do it. I'm not too keen on taking a soldering iron to a jag since my history with high pin count replacements is not too great.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey I'll just add this on here, got a Jaguar where the output might be wearing out.   Or power?    Power light comes on, but no display or sound, just black.

If there is anyone that does repairs on Jaguars would like to make your acquaintance..

My jag had some video problems, I cleaned the video connector on the back like I’d clean a cart and it worked fine again. I don’t know how common a dirty video port is, but it probably won’t hurt to try and clean it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Hey I'll just add this on here, got a Jaguar where the output might be wearing out.   Or power?    Power light comes on, but no display or sound, just black.

Generally in my experience this means something larger is wrong and the BIOS boot code isn't running properly so the system crashes before display or sound come up.

On 3/12/2022 at 12:51 PM, doctorclu said:

I am looking at a Jag with the same problem black screen, no audio, not boot screen. Power & clocks check out. 

Some testing with Skunkboard and loading to RAM the program I was using ran so my initial thought was that it was an problem accessing the cartridge space as software loaded to RAM was working. However, my initial test program was quite small, I tried other progressively larger files which worked up to a certain size, and then back the the Back screen. Same thing happened when trying the same programs from RAM.

So now I am thinking it may be a RAM problem, although I cannot be certain I get time to write a RAM test program that is small enough run. I am hoping that if it is a RAM problem the test program will help to identify if that is the problem and if so where precisely where the problem lies.  

20 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

Have you tried flashing and running the diagnostic cartridge image? It includes a RAM test.

It is bigger than the largest file I get to run on the defective Jaguar so I do not think it would work.

Additionally, I tried running the diagnostic cart on my Jag a couple of years ago and it did not appear to do anything and am sure I waited longer than the 6 seconds for it to start, I will try it again when I have time.

There was a post on here recently that indicated it would only work without PC end connected unless it was set to automatic mode, so maybe that was the problem. A copy of the EEPROM with that setting was provided but how would the cartridge image file read the EEPROM file when using the SkunkBoard?

You'll need a Skunkboard with an EEPROM on it, meaning Rev. 4 or higher, or mod a lower-revision board to include an EEPROM yourself, as described briefly here:

It's a pretty easy mod. All you need is some wire and the regular 93C46 serial EEPROM chip.

That said, does the diag cart work on a 16-bit cartridge and with the Skunk BIOS's boot? Some things don't.

2 minutes ago, Mitch said:

It is nice to hear that it works. Which serial adapter are you thinking about building? The RJ12 to 9pin adapter to plug into a Jaglink?

Mitch

Yes. I have a USB->DB9 serial adapter laying around here somewhere to plug it into, the Jaglink, a lot of RJ11 cable from the 90's, and a DB9 header. Just need to stop being lazy and solder it all together.