IGNORED

Using A Button to JUMP in ColecoVision Smurf Rescue

TPR

Anyone else ever do this? In emulation, it's easy to map the UP button on a control pad to a button so in Smurf Rescue, you can press a button to jump instead of having to press up!

I did notice that the way the game is coded, you do have to stop pressing left or right to jump (you can't hold down left or right and press jump at the same time) but I still think this is a bit easier than pressing UP as you can sometimes accidentally press left or right while trying to press UP.

Anyone ever try this?

Also, anyone ever consider doing a "Jump Button Hack" for this game?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TPR said:

Also, anyone ever consider doing a "Jump Button Hack" for this game?

It also works with the old Atariguy swap-in PCB for the NTT data controller. The up direction is also mapped to an extra button on the D-pad.

But yes! I’ve been hoping that someone with mad skills could hack this game and change the jump mapping to arm or fire. It really is a great game, even though its world is limited.

12 minutes ago, phattyboombatty said:

It also works with the old Atariguy swap-in PCB for the NTT data controller. The up direction is also mapped to an extra button on the D-pad.

But yes! I’ve been hoping that someone with mad skills could hack this game and change the jump mapping to arm or fire. It really is a great game, even though its world is limited.

Do you still have to stop pressing left or right to do the jump with that option?  That's the hack that I would love to see happen.  So you can be pressing left or right and then also press the jump button at the same time.  Obviously that wouldn't work for double jumps but for the single jump that would be amazing!

14 hours ago, TPR said:

Do you still have to stop pressing left or right to do the jump with that option?  That's the hack that I would love to see happen.  So you can be pressing left or right and then also press the jump button at the same time.  Obviously that wouldn't work for double jumps but for the single jump that would be amazing!

Yes, this is a definite problem, and I do have to stop moving L or R. The combined movements are not fluid. It seems like the directional control would have to be quality-hacked or completely rewritten.