IGNORED

Games to play while travelling

jhd

I have just completed a long, cross-country flight. To provide some entertainment, I loaded my phone with an NES emulator and a selection of games. I normally prefer complex RPGs, but I decided to go with something simpler under the circumstances -- several multi-cart ROMs. 

What do other people like to play when they are travelling (or otherwise need to fill waiting time)?

Simple, arcade-y, and fast are the things I usually look for. If I know I don't have all too long then something which lets me auto-start on a higher difficulty level by code or whatnot is always appreciated, without that I get a little annoyed as redoing the start just drags after a while.

What that actually ends up meaning? A whole lot of Tetris.

• Like 1

Well traditionally I would take a handheld of some sort (Nintendo) and a selection of games, then I moved into same but using a flash kit since that was less limiting for variety sake (and value if lost/stolen.)  The last few trips I used a Nvidia Shield tablet and I popped Neo.EMU on there for my arcade games, sucked for touch on some genres, but some work fantastic that don't need speed and precision so sports would work, some run and gun, platformers, puzzles, maybe shooters, but fighting was out.  I sold that thing, so next time it'll end up being my phone with a spare battery I have taken along, or back to using a Nintendo handheld if I don't grab one of those cheap chinese multi-system things like the retroid.

I'd go some route like that, but as far as games go, such as I said with the touch based tablet -- find what works best to the device you settle on, just as much as you should find something that fits the time range so you don't end up bored, nowhere near finishing, or knocking it off, then stuck with ...what?

• Like 1