IGNORED

Good spot to get audio from a 600XL motherboard?

SS

I am likely going to put a SOPHIA board into my 600XL project so I will also need to add an audio jack to it.  The last time I did this, I left the RF modulator intact and simply attached a wire to the audio feed leading to it.  This method worked but seems a rather sloppy solution so I am looking for a better way to get an audio connection this time around.  Any help would again be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  

I just pull mine from the monitor port. Of course, I removed the channel selector switch and added the monitor port when I upgraded the video with a UAV. There were only a couple of wires I had to solder. I can't recall if audio was being pulled from somewhere else on the board, or if it was just coming from the monitor port traces/pads that are still on the motherboard underneath the channel selector switch. You do realize that everything for the monitor port, except for the actual monitor port; traces, pads, everything, are actually still on the NTSC 600XL motherboard, underneath the channel selector switch, right?

I'll try to check my documentation later and confirm.

EDIT:

I found this. Hopefully, Marlin won't mind me posting it here for your reference. If you don't like that spot for some reason, I guess you could follow that trace back to another spot or component further back and patch it in there.

782562815_600XLMonitorPort.thumb.JPG.7dbf05669874ede1e695f0a9d2dd4422.JPG

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I just pull mine from the monitor port. Of course, I removed the channel selector switch and added the monitor port when I upgraded the video with a UAV. There were only a couple of wires I had to solder. I can't recall if audio was being pulled from somewhere else on the board, or if it was just coming from the monitor port traces/pads that are still on the motherboard underneath the channel selector switch. You do realize that everything for the monitor port, except for the actual monitor port; traces, pads, everything, are actually still on the NTSC 600XL motherboard, underneath the channel selector switch, right?

I'll try to check my documentation later and confirm.

EDIT:

I found this. Hopefully, Marlin won't mind me posting it here for your reference. If you don't like that spot for some reason, I guess you could follow that trace back to another spot or component further back and patch it in there.

782562815_600XLMonitorPort.thumb.JPG.7dbf05669874ede1e695f0a9d2dd4422.JPG

Hi @bfollowell,

You are correct. The trace for the 5 pin DIN connector still has the audio on the trace. When I did my UAV upgrade and installed the DIN connector, I did not have to run any lines to connect the audio. It was just there on the trace. I have attached a photo of my 600XL with UAV installed with the 5 DIN connector installed for video and audio out. I had removed the RF modulator.

4BF6C321-F3D6-4144-9A64-659AFBCA7844.thumb.jpeg.0e7ba815e37938477a9f9a9dfa4ad670.jpeg

2 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

Hi @bfollowell,

You are correct. The trace for the 5 pin DIN connector still has the audio on the trace. When I did my UAV upgrade and installed the DIN connector, I did not have to run any lines to connect the audio. It was just there on the trace. I have attached a photo of my 600XL with UAV installed with the 5 DIN connector installed for video and audio out. I had removed the RF modulator.

I wanted to keep mine as close to stock as I could, so I soldered my socket on top of the CD4050 and only removed the channel switch, but not the modulator. That way the RF modulator still works, albeit only on one channel; 3 I think. It's really only an academic consideration, not a practical one, as I can't imagine I'll ever really use it again.

• Like 1