IGNORED

How did you used to wrap your cords?

I'm pretty sure back in the N64 era I was using these weirdly bulky, hard-plastic, ratcheting cable ties that looked a bit like behind-the-ear hearing aids. These aren't quite the ones, but close enough--not recommended:

FeOYa4Rm.jpg

5 hours ago, digdugnate said:

If I do have to keep them sort-of coiled, I tend to use velcro cable wraps and dont have any crazy bend radii.

I can't remember when I started using those wraps, but I just love them and put them on everything. Since they're attached to the cable, they never get lost. Additionally I like to throw them in a ziploc if I'm storing them long-term, because the 'controller drawers' aren't kind to them otherwise. Granted larger controllers like most light guns, flight sticks, or arcade controllers can't reasonably be bagged. 

It's also a lot faster to wrap them off the controller, since it's just about halving the controller cable about 3-4 times--kind of like folding a sheet, takes maybe a couple seconds--instead of going around and around wrapping the cable. I still go pretty tight, though. It's a compromise between cable health and ease of storage that I can live with:

7PKPeLum.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 4

I started keeping the cables for TG16 controllers in a zip lock bag to keep them away from the controller or console plastic surfaces.  The plastics in these things are slowly breaking down and will destroy the surfaces of controllers and consoles.. Don't find out the hard way!  

Odyssey 2 controller cables are terrible for this as well.

I always wrapped the cable loosely around my hand and used a pipe cleaner to tie it together. Once Velcro ties became more common, I switched to those. Due to sharp angles I never really wrapped them around the controller itself, and some controllers were problematic anyways (Atari, coleco, etc)

Always drove me nuts when someone would just stretch the cable out and wrap it tightly around the controller body. Always wondered how many controllers those types of people killed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...