IGNORED

PokeyONE in Simple Stereo Board in 130XE

CraigsBar

Hi all. I currently have a Simple Stereo board in my 130XE with a 2nd pokey fitted. BUT I'd like to explore the possibility of moving the 2nd one out and into my Concerto cart for my 7800. So although the PokeyOne does not work as a replacement for the first pokey in an A8 machine will it work as a replacement for the 2nd pokey in the Simple Stereo board? 

Any experience anyone has with this configuration will be most helpful.

Craig

@CraigsBar What is the chip number for the 7800 cart pokey you are wanting to pop into the simple stereo board incidentally?   So you are essentially proposing just swapping them between the machines, with the 7800 cart's chip going into the simple stereo board as a 2nd chip, and A8 pokey into the 7800 cart?  (Or just the former?) You could just try it I guess although maybe see if someone has any further advice before you do to avoid a costly explosion!  ?There is bound to be some info in a topic thread somewhere on AA. I have a simple stereo v1 board but only A8 Pokey chips. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

[mention=48095]CraigsBar[/mention] What is the chip number for the 7800 cart pokey you are wanting to pop into the simple stereo board incidentally?   So you are essentially proposing just swapping them between the machines, with the 7800 cart's chip going into the simple stereo board as a 2nd chip, and A8 pokey into the 7800 cart?  (Or just the former?) You could just try it I guess although maybe see if someone has any further advice before you do to avoid a costly explosion!  [emoji857]There is bound to be some info in a topic thread somewhere on AA. I have a simple stereo v1 board but only A8 Pokey chips. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help. 
Thanks for the reply, no the other way round. I have 2 Genuine pokeys in the simple stereo board and none in the Concerto cart. The dimensions of the cart shell mean a pokeyone won't fit in the cart. So.... Will a pokeyone work as a 2nd pokey in the stereo board freeing up a real known good pokey for the Concerto cart?
I was asking as the pokeyone web page says they don't work in 8bit computers... But that is presumably as the first and only pokey with no simple stereo configuration.

Craig

Sent from my CPH2089 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@CraigsBar What is the chip number for the 7800 cart pokey you are wanting to pop into the simple stereo board incidentally?   So you are essentially proposing just swapping them between the machines, with the 7800 cart's chip going into the simple stereo board as a 2nd chip, and A8 pokey into the 7800 cart?  (Or just the former?) You could just try it I guess although maybe see if someone has any further advice before you do to avoid a costly explosion!  ?There is bound to be some info in a topic thread somewhere on AA. I have a simple stereo v1 board but only A8 Pokey chips. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help. 

There’s no difference in POKEY chips from an A8 to a 5200 to a 7800 Ballblazer/Commando cart. They are the same chip, the same Atari part number, and interchangeable. For that matter, the single-POKEY chips used in Atari arcade cabs are the same too (there are some later variants like the Quad-POKEY used in later games that are not interchangeable).

But the OP’s purposes, a PokeyOne will work fine in an A8 as the second (right-channel) POKEY. I have one in my 1088XLD and it works great. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chevymad said:

It won't work as a primary pokey, only as the 2nd stereo pokey. Pokeymax will work as a primary.

Better yet, and a whole lot cheaper elimate stereo board and PokeyONE, and just use PokeyMAX all by itself ;)

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2021 at 4:17 AM, chevymad said:

It won't work as a primary pokey, only as the 2nd stereo pokey. Pokeymax will work as a primary.

Well my PokeyONE finally arrived today, so my 2nd pokey has been moved from the Simple Stereo V2 board into my Concerto Flashcart for the 7800. The PokeyONE is now in the 2nd socket on the Simple Stereo V2 board. so far so good. Stereo works fine in games such as Yoomp and Pang.

Now the problem.. I also have a Ultimate1MB fitted in this machine and would like to use the software toggle in the Ultimate software to toggle the stereo off if I ever have to. However the PokeyONE is not detected by the Ultimate1MB firmware, I assume because of the time taken for the PokeyONE itself to start up.

I therefore have no way to turn off the Simple Stereo without opening the case and removing it. Does anyone know of a way to delay the Ultimate1MB startup to allow for the PokeyONE to be fully initialised before the U1MB tries to detect it?

Many thanks, I hope this is explained clearly!

Craig

12 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@CraigsBar am not 100% sure but just to check with your U1mb you have the right firmware plugin installed for the stereo in the first place? I don't know about pokeyone stereo modules but pokeymax v2s for example cannot be software controlled by U1mb AFAIK.  Again not familiar with Pokeyone. 

Yeah, that is there... with both "real" Pokey's in the Simple Stereo V2 board it works correctly. I'd stick with that, but the PokeyONE does not fit in the Concerto cart case.

23 hours ago, chevymad said:

I have a Pokeyone in my 1088XLD as the 2nd pokey. I can turn it off/on with my U1MB. 

Can you let me know what Firmware version you have on the U1MB. Maybe it is time for me to upgrade mine ;)

52 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@CraigsBar 4.05 is the latest FJC U1mb firmware so ensure you have that, then flash the plugin which covers your stereo. The plugin will have ST in it once installed looking at plugin in the U1mb Bios. 

Can you, or anyone else provide some guidance on the flashing process. I have downloaded the latest 4.0 release from https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/ultimate-1mb/ but I cannot seem to manage to get into a state to flash it. The hardware I have available is.....
My Atari 130XE (obviously)
The U1MB is installed and currently has FW 3.02

an Ultimate Cart

and a Lotharek Sio2SD

with the ATR in the Sio2SD I get 'No Dos'.
with the XEX uflash I have no mass storage to load the ROM files from.

I am sure there is a trick, but I cannot find it LOL ;)

We've all been there at some point. 

Maje sure you have read the manual on Fjc website, page 10 I think. 

Also go to FJC's YouTube and search for vids on flashing U1mb. I am out and about so not easy to link em to ya right now. 

If u hv sio2pc I'd mount the firmware.Atr. It has the uflash.Xex and the firmware as well as individual rooms.

Which version of the U1MB bios do you hv right now installed? Perhaps post a few screenshots. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

We've all been there at some point. 

Maje sure you have read the manual on Fjc website, page 10 I think. 

Also go to FJC's YouTube and search for vids on flashing U1mb. I am out and about so not easy to link em to ya right now. 

If u hv sio2pc I'd mount the firmware.Atr. It has the uflash.Xex and the firmware as well as individual rooms.

Which version of the U1MB bios do you hv right now installed? Perhaps post a few screenshots. 

Yeah, I found the problem!

The SIO Speedup setting in the SIO2SD was set too high by default. Slowed this down silghtly and flashed the firmware to 4.05 successfully. The U1MB now correctly shows the Stereo pokey and the software switch works again. :)

Thanks everyone, it seems that the changes between U1MB 3.02 and 4.05 firmwares mean the PokeyONE is detected. My issue is resolved.

• Like 1