IGNORED

Metal Slug (Mission 1) for Atari STE, with gamepad support - Download

This post contains the download link for the Metal Slug (Mission 1) port with 3 button gamepad support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHTzwcx4Og

Download:

https://www.gp32spain.com/foros/attachment.php?attachmentid=54720&d=1635409598

How to play it:

1- You need a hard disk unit, don´t worry; I manufature and sell good performance and cheap units.
2- Copy the content of the .rar file into your hard disk partition root folder
3- Your hard disk partition need to be self bootable, you will need as much RAM as possible (game requires 4 MB); you will need to use low memory requirement driver, such Peter Putnik one
4- Disconnect the mouse, and connect the customized 3 button gamepad instead
5- Connect your hard disk unit into the ACSI port of your STE or MegaSTE computer, dont forget to insert the previously cited SD card or other medium
6- Turn on your hard disk unit
7- Turn on your STE or MegaSTE computer, enjoy the experience with a 3 button gamepad!

Edited by masteries
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Additional:

With fire (A), LR (B) and DU (C) combo buttons, you can also do A+B (X), A+C (Y), B+C (Z) and A+B+C (start) buttons.

I don't know how the Megadrive does it's 6 buttons, but a rewired controller would be good for Streetfighter 2 style games.

I appreciate that this is a rather ST-centric arrangement as it cuts out the Amiga button 2 for classic games. Not sure how c64 or Spextrum are affected.

On 10/28/2021 at 3:37 AM, TGB1718 said:

Can you modify the program to put all those files into a sub folder, for those of us with "real" hard drives

putting all those files on the root just makes it a bit of a mess. thanks

I too was worried about this. I tried to put the program on floppy, then run the rest of the files off my ASC2ST but the program is larger than 720k.

On 10/29/2021 at 5:33 PM, Paul Westphal said:

I too was worried about this. I tried to put the program on floppy, then run the rest of the files off my ASC2ST but the program is larger than 720k.

Yes, the graphic and map files can be placed in a folder, such MDATA...

I will update the game soon,

On 10/28/2021 at 4:55 PM, SlidellMan said:

Does it support the Falcon controller/JagPad?

It´s designed for customized 3 button gamepads for standard joystick port, or keyboard when you don´t have it.  The new commercial games we are developing will require it, its also compatible with Amiga 500 and other machines.

Keyboard is not good, due to you can press more than 2 keys at once.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, masteries said:

It´s designed for customized 3 button gamepads for standard joystick port, or keyboard when you don´t have it.  The new commercial games we are developing will require it, its also compatible with Amiga 500 and other machines.

Keyboard is not good, due to you can press more than 2 keys at once.

New commercial games being developed?  Did I miss something?

On 11/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

New commercial games being developed?  Did I miss something?

We are a team of two, a programmer/electronics/musician (myself) and a graphic artist; currently we are working in a Run&Gun game similar to Metal Slug, but with another theme, new sprites, scenarios and music... with a quality and level progression much similar or complex such Metal Slug 3

The game is being developed for Atari STE, MegaDrive/Genesis and DreamCast.

Initially, the Metal Slug port represents the game engine creation and testing; due to asset creation is slower compred to game engine programming;

I decided to start using Metal Slug ones.

Due to the Neo Geo similar quality, for all platforms; a floppy based release is not affordable for STE, as well the hard disk solutions were too expensive.

This high performance and low cost hard disk unit is the result of a research and search for an affodable way to play 30 MB or more based games in an Atari STE.

As well, old joysticks based in a single button are not good fitted for modern games;

due to this I also researched and developed a way to modify a low cost one to create a real 3 button enabled gamepad for the Atari STE.

These gamepads are also availabel at marketplace,

Hardware part for the STE is done already!  :) 

We are working hard in the software/music/sound side of incoming games...

when its ready, a fully playable first stage will be released

Edited by masteries
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

If I am not wrong, joystick port 1 is used.

Why don't use joystick port 2 instead? To swap mouse and joystick is not very easy, considered port location and not very good for wear an tear.

Could you please support this 3 button joystick standard?

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus

It's an easy modification and there's a lot of support for it. Even a new Atari-SNES adapter supports it.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong, joystick port 1 is used.

Why don't use joystick port 2 instead? To swap mouse and joystick is not very easy, considered port location and not very good for wear an tear.

Could you please support this 3 button joystick standard?

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus

It's an easy modification and there's a lot of support for it. Even a new Atari-SNES adapter supports it.

Greetings Philsan,

Happy New Year!

Joystick port 1, mouse port is used due to first button is the typical one, second button is the right mouse button (that really is short-circuited internally in the Atari ST/E with the joystick port 2 button 1  xD), and third button is a special and hard to phisically make combination of UP+DOWN at same time.

Atari ST/E standard joystick ports have no paddle support, these are not the same port as Atari 8 bit joystick ports.

Pin 5 have nothing connected to, the schematic illustrated in:  https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/wiki/Instructions

have no much sense for Atari ST/E

A 330 ohms from pin 7 (5 Volts) to one of the ground switched buttons, will produce a huge 5 volts drop in the Atari ST/E system.

My first trial with the modified gamepad suffers from this due to a mistake  :)

There is no much better 3 button gamepad possibilities than the one showed in Metal Slug video,

sorry man

Edited by masteries
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

That's it !

I was finally able to test Metal Slug version on my Ste.

I would like to point out that I usually play it on my arcade cabinet or my AES.

In order to enjoy the experience, I am delighted to have ordered a controller with the management of the three buttons: shoot, jump, grenade.

Verdict: for me it is a technical killer!

I never would have thought that possible on a Ste.

First of all the graphic rendering. It's thin, colorful and really close to what we know.

Inevitably the character has lost some colors, details, but it gives a little cartoon side.

A few frames also jumped but what a pleasure!

Note that to display as many colors, they are alternated.
It creates a slight flickering effect visible when you're in "technical review" mode and analysis of the work done, but once again everything can be forgotten in game.

For the animation, as mentioned when the video was posted, it goes fast, very fast, too fast.

You have to see it as a technical demo.

There are a few slowdowns at times but this remains anecdotal.
There are huge sprites, it comes from everywhere, flawless.

For the sound, we find the well-known digits and sound effects of the game.

I can't wait to see what your future project will bring.

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 5:29 AM, masteries said:

This post contains the download link for the Metal Slug (Mission 1) port with 3 button gamepad support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHTzwcx4Og

Download:

https://www.gp32spain.com/foros/attachment.php?attachmentid=54720&d=1635409598

How to play it:

1- You need a hard disk unit, don´t worry; I manufature and sell good performance and cheap units.
2- Copy the content of the .rar file into your hard disk partition root folder
3- Your hard disk partition need to be self bootable, you will need as much RAM as possible (game requires 4 MB); you will need to use low memory requirement driver, such Peter Putnik one
4- Disconnect the mouse, and connect the customized 3 button gamepad instead
5- Connect your hard disk unit into the ACSI port of your STE or MegaSTE computer, dont forget to insert the previously cited SD card or other medium
6- Turn on your hard disk unit
7- Turn on your STE or MegaSTE computer, enjoy the experience with a 3 button gamepad!

I can imaging if this came out back in the day what an amazing achievment.

Update March 2022

-Fixed a coding bug that produces hang up of the computer, when you were driving a vehicle, and the vehicle died in midair

-Added an additional executable (nogpad.prg) for players that do not have 3 button gamepad, useful if you want to use the keyboard

Remember that the third button is done via UP and DOWN combination at same time,
its a trick performed inside the gamepad

Download link:

https://www.gp32spain.com/foros/attachment.php?attachmentid=54942&d=1647869522