IGNORED

Sort It Out!

snicklin

Have you ever been in the situation whereby you have a whole load of Atari files in one folder and you just want to sort them out into a format which is better for your SD card solution? Or just so that you can browse your files easier?

Indeed I have, a fair few times. It takes a long time to sort out all your files doesn't it?

No longer though (provided you are a Windows user). Please see the attached zip file for a new solution to this age old problem.

Feedback is appreciated and will enable the creation of different versions of this program that work in slightly different ways.

Usage: 
Drop the .exe file into the folder that you want to sort and simply double click it. Then, everything will get copied into sorted folders.

The folders will be sorted like this:

RootFolder
RootFolder->Sorted
RootFolder->Sorted->[FileType]
RootFolder->Sorted->[FileType]->[0-9][A-Z]

So, a file named "Blobby.atr" which is in the root folder will be copied to:
RootFolder->Sorted->ATR->B->Blobby.atr

Limitations:
- For the first release, it will copy rather than move files, in-case of bugs.
- It will not copy files with no extension.
- It will not copy files with the extensions of "go" or "exe".
- It will not copy files that do not start with an alphanumeric character.
- Not tested with non-English based character sets.
- The format of the file structure is static. Program usage must remain simple.
- All files must be in the root folder, folder reading has not been implemented.
- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SortItOut_Copy_Ext_Alpha.zip SortItOut_Copy_Ext_Alpha.txt

Edited by snicklin
Removed extraneous text
  • Like 9

So I've just released the above and then I thought that I'd play some games, but didn't know which folders to look in.

For example, I wanted to play Gauntlet, but didn't know if it was in my ATR folder or my XEX folder.

So then I thought, why not document it all to a PDF file?

Here you go, here is another utility I've knocked up. It will only work with the folder structure created from SortItOut.

Any problems, let me know...

Also, use at your own risk, though there is no file moving or deletion involved with this program....

Usage: Have this .exe file in the folder above "Sorted". Double click on it. Go back to "Sorted" folder to find a "FileList.pdf" file created.

Programmed in Go (Golang for search engines)...

SortItOut-WhereIsIt_1_0_0.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, snicklin said:

Then, everything will get copied into sorted folders.

But why does it make so many empty folders.  I have one file with 'LST' extension and I got 36 empty folders on only one with the 'LST' file.

also the pdf program is detected as having a virus and windows will not except it.

18 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

But why does it make so many empty folders.  I have one file with 'LST' extension and I got 36 empty folders on only one with the 'LST' file.

also the pdf program is detected as having a virus and windows will not except it.

Thanks for testing this out @Roydea6 . Whether the empty folders get created or not was something that I was considering during the creation of this utility. As it is designed to be just "click and go", that doesn't leave the option to be able to toggle this.

However, I hope to find some time over this weekend to create a slightly different version of this which does not create the empty folders. Thanks for that feedback.

Edit: To answer your question directly: I was thinking that people may use this program more than once, putting all the atr, xex etc files in the folder and running it again, therefore in time, all the folders will be used up, or at least most of them.

As for the virus, well, I've just compiled it myself from scratch and I reckon that the external library that I am using ( https://github.com/jung-kurt/gofpdf ) is probably meaning that it is getting flagged unfortunately. Which anti-virus are you using? Is anyone else having the same issue or does it work for you?

Edited by snicklin
Add clarification...

5 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

Microsoft Security Essentials

I've just taken a look into this and MS are no longer supplying this software, only updates to existing customers.

If possible, could you submit it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission , and then they can take a closer look? I tried to do it myself, but it was asking for information I don't have.

for those who don't want to remove all the empty folders by hand, here's a util I use all the time..

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Fast-Empty-Folder-Finder.shtml

PS, no virus alert here from either Malware bytes free or Zone Alarm free..

Edited by Mclaneinc

12 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

for those who don't want to remove all the empty folders by hand, here's a util I use all the time..

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/Fast-Empty-Folder-Finder.shtml

PS, no virus alert here from either Malware bytes free or Zone Alarm free..

Thanks for the feedback and the helpful tip!

@Jetboot Jack That looks a nice little tool there, very impressive. Unfortunately I can't really provide any Mac support with this software. The reason that I have been able to code these applications pretty quickly is because for the last few months I've been working on an underlying library (called a 'Module' in Go) which does a hell of a lot of things. Within that I have addressed a lot of complexities and then I only have to do things once and not worry about complex code again. Anyway, whilst creating it, I realised that I couldn't test for a Mac as I don't have one and I suspect that a lot of my file handling logic wouldn't work on a Mac, otherwise I could just compile for the Mac also. So I've stuck to Windows.

@Roydea6 , as mentioned, I've worked on a version which doesn't create all of the extra folders. Luckily there wasn't much work involved. Thanks for the feedback.

SortItOut_Copy_Ext_Alpha_NoEmpty.zip