1 hour ago, drac030 said:

I agree with OP here, the thread has been derailed, additionally in a very embarrassing way (unfortunately, I am not able to express Polish "żenujący" any better). So closing this one and starting anew - without involving himself into pointless discussions about asm, cc65 or MadPascal - seems quite a rational decision.

While the "embarrassing" screens from Urban Dictionary could have been skipped, indeed, the new programming language will be (always?) discussed in context of other languages. Many games in MadPascal or CC65 come with the sources available and designing a lang for 8bit Atari it may be worth checking how their are solving problems of e.g. memory alignment, built-in runtime functions, zero page variables/data or linking with music player. Easiness of such operations can be a deciding factor about adoption of the language. For example KickC is very promising replacement for CC65 but lack of Atari support in CRT is a blocker for me to switch to this language.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 7:04 AM, Kaj de Vos said:

I'm not wrong, there are grave misconceptions in there. Please have patience until I have time to answer them.

I think it's quite presumptuous of you to equate everyone here with your own preferences and preconceptions. Anyway, if you are not the target market, what are you doing in this thread? I'm not forcing anything upon you.

I'm not equating everyone here with my preferences...this might be a language (human, not meta) problem, but I think I understand what you mean. I clearly stated it was my own opinion.

I think it's quite presumptuous of you to wave your hand and refer to criticism as 'grave misconceptions'. What were the grave misconceptions you refer to? 

You seem to think that any negativity or criticism results from us just not understanding things correctly, and when you have time to 'explain' then we will all see that you are right. That more than anything else is what has turned me off from this discussion.

I see you started another thread, I think that's probably a good idea because there were some kind of rude posts, which if you'll recall, I spoke against.

Good luck with your project.

14 minutes ago, zbyti said:

OK. I'm switch to standby because now we talk more about it then we use it.

Considering that Meta should be similar to Rebol, take a look at the well known Sieve benchmark written in this language:

http://www.rebol.com/rebcode/sieve2.r  

Isn't the example readable and beautifully human-friendly? ;-) 

Edited by ilmenit

3 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Many games in MadPascal or CC65 come with the sources available and designing a lang for 8bit Atari it may be worth checking how their are solving problems of e.g. memory alignment, built-in runtime functions, zero page variables/data or linking with music player.

While that is an undoubtedly true statement, we do not assume that OP is a 5-year-old kid and does not know that? Or that he does not know that asm, cc65, Mad Pascal exist? Or what they do or what they do not, or what they can or what they can not? Or that he should do that thing and not the other? Just re-read the very post which led to the thread having been derailed, especially its beginning.

I will say no more, I do not want to pollute this thread with more irrelevancy.

• Thanks 1

Yes, that is the REBOL dialect, although it is written in a C/Pascal/BASIC style, using indexes. But perhaps that is better to start with as an example. When you become more proficient, you would use series by reference.

I wrote a Sieve example that I will use for benchmarking, especially comparing REBOL and Red. I have to be very careful with it, because it is always a touchy subject. I expected the shit show to start then. ?

42 minutes ago, Kaj de Vos said:

Yes, that is the REBOL dialect, although it is written in a C/Pascal/BASIC style, using indexes. But perhaps that is better to start with as an example. When you become more proficient, you would use series by reference.

I wrote a Sieve example that I will use for benchmarking, especially comparing REBOL and Red. I have to be very careful with it, because it is always a touchy subject. I expected the shit show to start then. ?

Actually I would be very interested to see how to write it in "REBOL way". C'mon, post your example with #roastme hash tag! ;-) 

5 minutes ago, zbyti said:

I'm trying to retrieve a 16-bit address from $58, $59 and display 'A' on the screen ;)

No luck :D

Things are a little more official in Meta. That's a pointer, that's not directly supported. I'm planning to implement a screen! type for that. But you can always get around it with assembly.