IGNORED

Sega Genesis differences?

hex65000

I recently picked up a 'High Definition Graphics' version of the Genesis 1. I noticed there is a db9 plug on the back of the system that my other Genesis 1 does not have. I poked through a Genesis FAQ and didn't find anything meaningful about the port or the system. Of course it didn't come with the power brick. Ah well, at least the video cables can be built if needed.

Thoughts? Links? :?

Hex.

[ Must... clean... cartridges.... bleah! ]

You be correctZ! No Stereo in the back, only thru the 1/8 headphone jack. There is a 8-pin DIN connection in back for A/V out, on all model 1 Genesis systems, but it was composite & mono only. The DB9 that was his original question, I believe is unused, or at least was never developed for so has no use. It was only on the "High Definition Graphics" models of the original Genesis.

Oh I think its a bio port for the Genesis center nevre signals.

i think it was supposed to be an extension port for a modem, but obviously that never cam to fruition.

but the Hi-def graphics version of the genesis can play old EA and Accolade games, and there are cart swapping tricks you can perform with this version if you have the balls to try them

i think it was supposed to be an extension port for a modem, but obviously that never cam to fruition.  

but the Hi-def graphics version of the genesis can play old EA and Accolade games, and there are cart swapping tricks you can perform with this version if you have the balls to try them

You're partially right on the modem part. It WAS released, just didn't sell well at all.

Now, not all gennys that say high definition graphics can play those games. If when you first turn the system on it says "Produced by or under liscense from Sega enterprises LTD", then it can't. If it dowsn't say that, it can play the unliscensed games, and I might be interested in buying it from you.

Um...the Xband was released in the states...and let's not forget about the Sega Channel...

That service was actually available for quite some time where I live.

But yes..the X-band Modem was released and can even be found for cheaply at the Flea Markets and such from time to time. I have passed on owning one twice now...since I have no use for it.

:ponder:

After I get it cleaned up a bit and see if this guy works I'll have to drop it on the scanner. I don't have access to a digital camera. Currently the system is very brown :P and Hex does not tolerate unnaturally brown things.

I also need to scrape up some cash and grab me an intellivision 1. I bought a collection that had a BUNCH of generally complete carts and the voice box. But no system. I have no idea if any of that junk works. With my luck it'll end up living in the corner with my Oddesy2 and Colecovision (I did get the atari adapter with it though, that was pretty spiffy.)

Hex.

[ Yeah... like I'm gonna be 'productive'... ]

Mmm... CD.. I mean, mine has that port too.

And mine shows the Copyright screen.

And it also plays all NES and SNES games and lets me travel through time.

Okay, that last part wasn't true. But it does have the port and screen. And I wish I had a CD. Mmmm....

Yeah it's not all the "high def" models, only some that are without the copyright screen. Mine also displays the copyright screen upon startup.

Oh and there was someone from the DP boards who bought a cart recently that lets you play NES on the Genesis. :D Well not quite, it's actually a backup device cart, that copies one type of media thru the use of another system. But it made you think "what if"

btw, heres my SCD collection:

tn_segacdcollection.jpg

:P

Yeah it's not all the "high def" models, only some that are without the copyright screen. Mine also displays the copyright screen upon startup.  

Oh and there was someone from the DP boards who bought a cart recently that lets you play NES on the Genesis. :D Well not quite, it's actually a backup device cart, that copies one type of media thru the use of another system. But it made you think "what if"  

btw, heres my SCD collection:

tn_segacdcollection.jpg

:P

Ummm... errr... well...

I have Lunar TWO. :P

I have not yet played Lunar 2: EB. :(  I do own the PSX release of it thou, just not enough time to start up another RPG.
I feel VERY strongly that GameArts can't do remakes worth jack.

Of course, EB didn't get the disastrous rewrite that Silver Star Story got.

They just mucked hte gameplay up completely for it.

And the SCD version has BETTER custscenes than the PS version(which is riddled with complression artifacts in almost all the cutscenes).

:lol: It actually could use a cleaning, but it's not as bad as that picture makes it out to be. I didn't want to unhook it, and it was under another row of stuff in a dark area on my shelf. :P Plus it's a low file size. But that's not dirt on the system, maybe a little in the vents of the CD thou.

Oh and I had a NIB 32x, as well as a NIB Genesis model 2 & Sega CD model 2, they were all very clean, because I never used them. ;) Got rid of them, as I didn't need extra systems, I'm never gonna use. Didn't want to keep a 32x around for 4 or 5 games. :D