IGNORED

Anyone know what's up with Audacity Games?

Mockduck

Circus Convoy launched to a fair amount of collector interest and seems to have sold decently, but their social media has been dormant since March, and the games that were allegedly in the works seem to have quietly gone away from their web site. Casey's Gold isn't even being promoted on their web site any more. It's a bummer as I was looking forward to what they were going to do.

I chatted with David Crane and Garry Kitchen at CORGS.   They said Casey's Gold is definitely coming, but they were not setting any dates for its arrival. 

They were certainly selling Circus Convoy at a brisk clip while I was there!  I bought a copy as well.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, edladdin said:

I chatted with David Crane and Garry Kitchen at CORGS.   They said Casey's Gold is definitely coming, but they were not setting any dates for its arrival. 

They were certainly selling Circus Convoy at a brisk clip while I was there!  I bought a copy as well.

I got my copy there too.  It was nice chatting it’s them. I had been wanting a copy for a while and got it a bit cheaper and saved on shipping. 

These games are different. You can't rush the modular approach the Activision rock stars are using. 

Each 128K ROM can contain up to 32 4K modules.

Each module is a classic Activision game ROM, but development time gets multiplied by the number of modules :) 

Well...

Back in the day these guys made games that sold millions of copies. That being said, selling 500 copies of an atari 2600 homebrew these days, in my mind would be considered VERY successful. Can any homebrew authors back me up here? 

Let's go big and say they sold 1000 of circus convoy (I would guess the number is actually much lower but let's just say 1000 for arguments sake) that could be a little, or even a LOT less than they expected...especially if they aren't familiar with the homebrew scene... I think they serialized them up to 5000? Selling that many would be unheard of as far as I know. Looks like they sprung the dough themselves for custom boards/shells/etc, there is typically pretty high minimum runs for this kind of custom stuff.. The upfront cost had to be a LOT. 

Not to mention, for whatever reason, initially (and maybe still currently?) there was mixed reactions about audacity games here on AA. Doesn't personally bother me and I wasn't following very closely so I'm sure there was a good reason, but it seemed a little odd to me. The fact they didn't even get a mention on the homepage made me think something was amiss between them and the community from the start. I mean David Crane is coming out of retirement and making a new atari 2600 game?? Thats a big freaking deal isn't it?

...maybe not? 

I'm not trying to start any shit but I cant be the only one that noticed a little tension early on in the community over this release. Like I said, Im sure there were reasons...but I'm not trying to go there right now. 

Well then just get to the point man!!

Okay, okay...

It sounds like they really enjoy doing this and are very friendly with everyone they meet, they're even doing the classic game convention circut so I have no doubt they will CONTINUE doing it to some extent..but maybe the combination of underwhelming sales and mixed response from the community has just made this less of a priority for them? They will keep making new games because its fun for them but just aren't in that big of a hurry to lose time and money doing it. 

Making a profitable business selling new atari games can't be easy, even if you are David Crane or the Kitchen bros. Once you make the determination its now more of a "hobby" and less of a "business venture" the timetable for new releases will change significantly. 

I could be completely over thinking this of course, could just be something simple like a knee replacement surgery slowing things down ? or like SQL said, maybe it just takes a LOT of time to make! I don't know, had to post my thoughts though because I've been wondering myself.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

Back in the day these guys made games that sold millions of copies. That being said, selling 500 copies of an atari 2600 homebrew these days, in my mind would be considered VERY successful. Can any homebrew authors back me up here? 

Qb, over the many years, has probably sold around 500 copies in various forms.

I expect, without any evidence to support, that Circus Convoy sold about 1500 copies, give or take.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Let's go big and say they sold 1000 of circus convoy (I would guess the number is actually much lower but let's just say 1000 for arguments sake) that could be a little, or even a LOT less than they expected...especially if they aren't familiar with the homebrew scene.

It’d be interesting to hear what their projections were and how they got to those numbers. A “big” homebrew release might sell a few hundred copies. Even with the added interest from being “the Activision guys” expecting sales in the thousands isn’t very realistic.

I’m sure we’ll see future releases, but possibly on a different scale and timetable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Excellent points my games sold in quantity in the 80's as a classic author but Today's retro game runs are limited and specialized.

14 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

I'm not trying to start any shit but I cant be the only one that noticed a little tension early on in the community over this release. Like I said, Im sure there were reasons...but I'm not trying to go there right now. 

Well then just get to the point man!!

Okay, okay...

It sounds like they really enjoy doing this and are very friendly with everyone they meet, they're even doing the classic game convention circut so I have no doubt they will CONTINUE doing it

Yes this is a lot of fun there is some jealousy towards the rock stars from new programmers on the scene who produce some excellent games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

IIRC they sold all numbered copies quite fast. Don't remember the number though.

by march 30, we had estimated that they had sold 979 copies.   I'll bet that @Andrew Davie's estimate of around 1,500 sales is pretty close.  If they were lucky, they'll get a boost for the holidays.  It's too bad that Casey's Gold isn't ready to go, the could have sold a relative ton of those for the holidays and also give a boost to Circus Convoy sales as well.  I, too, would love to know what their sales projections were and what they are doing now.

14 hours ago, D Train said:

by march 30, we had estimated that they had sold 979 copies.   I'll bet that @Andrew Davie's estimate of around 1,500 sales is pretty close.  If they were lucky, they'll get a boost for the holidays.  It's too bad that Casey's Gold isn't ready to go, the could have sold a relative ton of those for the holidays and also give a boost to Circus Convoy sales as well.  I, too, would love to know what their sales projections were and what they are doing now.

If you go to the website and put one in your cart it should have a copy number, at least it did back when I ordered it (I got the standard, non limited) If they are selling them in order that would show how many have sold to date I guess. Thats if they are selling them in order though, that number might be wrong too, not taking into account games sold or set aside for shows, or they might even just randomly grab them and not even keep track themselves lol, who knows. My box or letter didn't have any numbers on it though. Just know I was one of the first few hundred since I got the patch included. There was a number on the order though, like 170 or something...

20211107_124951.jpg

On 11/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, Crazy Climber said:

If you go to the website and put one in your cart it should have a copy number, at least it did back when I ordered it (I got the standard, non limited) If they are selling them in order that would show how many have sold to date I guess. Thats if they are selling them in order though, that number might be wrong too, not taking into account games sold or set aside for shows, or they might even just randomly grab them and not even keep track themselves lol, who knows. My box or letter didn't have any numbers on it though. Just know I was one of the first few hundred since I got the patch included. There was a number on the order though, like 170 or something...

20211107_124951.jpg

Was late to purchase and the one I received is serial number 576. Ordered it in August. It is the mid-tier Collectors Edition with the gold box. The box has a hologram type sticker on the front with the number and a certificate of authenticity with the same style number sticker.  

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, IWantMyMoneyBack said:

What happened to Audacity Games?  I was wondering this myself.  Do we know anything new since November?

Last I heard was that new items will be released on their own timetable.  May be this year, may be 2024.  Who knows?  They are moving at their own pace on things.

• 4 weeks later...