IGNORED

Not everyone liked Sonic: Games that you hated the day you first played them

Frozone212

Bear with me: I like the sonic series but the first game loses steam after the second level. Labyrinth zone should have never passed testing.

Also, when COD WW2 came out, i snapped it up after a few weeks. Outside of the so so campaign (D Day was fun though) and the zombies mode being way too different, MP was a massive let down. Only 3 war maps standard and a paltry selection of killstreaks? I went back to Black ops.

The year does not matter. It can be from the PDP 11 and it will still count.

Essentially:

Dave Ramsey No GIF by Ramsey Solutions

Loved the first Sonic on both MD and G. G, a breath of fresh air after one to many Euro-platformers on the ST. 

Found MD Sonic 2 so disspointing, I skipped Sonic 3,Sonic And Knuckles. 

Picked up Sonic CD for £5,hated it. 

Bought it years later on PSN to give it a second chance, no dice. 

Rekindled my love with Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast, short lived though as i hated Sonic Adventure II. 

I never really hated Sonic the first day, when I eventually got to even the original one it was pretty nice for what it was, yet it was lacking since you couldn't spin up like the sequel.  Sonic in a way was somewhat like a tech demo of sorts, where unlike the junk before it you really could get a taste of the better use of color, detail, and audio the system was capable of unlike that wretched Altered Beast pack-in.

CODWW2 I agree with, the campaign mode is utterly broken as that tank stage is just cheap and jacked up considering how the arena for it works...hours lost on stupid stuff, only time I paid on a game on Steam to turn around and erase it entirely from the account and all, it's so dead to me I'm leery about getting Vanguard if they did some pea brained bad choices once more.

It's not so much a game, but I'm going to rip almost across the board a genre of game, the stuff like Ogre Battle where you're a passive hand but the AI is also random in a ways how it reacts so even a good choice can be a fatal choice.  I find games like that utterly detestable, give me direct control over the units and this wouldn't be an issue.  The genre on large I can stand, yet I do own a very few games from them, admittedly with strategy guides to make them at least tolerable/fun enough not to dump them (Ogre Battle, Advance Wars 1, a few Fire Emblems, and the original Nectaris.)  I never have finished a single one either, the AI pathing has never made sense to me how you have no free will but other than to guess out how to do the level precisely, or inevitable minutes to wasted hours later -- die.

Resident Evil 2: I loved the first game, exploring an abandoned mansion infested with zombies. Game 2 starts with walking around an infested town and talking to people.

Tomb Raider 2: The first game was exploration and 3D platforming. The second game starts out sliding down a hill with no control.

I gave up on both after one day, and several years have passed, so it could be faulty memories, but both games left a bad first impression.

On 11/11/2021 at 9:31 PM, Frozone212 said:

Bear with me: I like the sonic series but the first game loses steam after the second level. Labyrinth zone should have never passed testing.

Also, when COD WW2 came out, i snapped it up after a few weeks. Outside of the so so campaign (D Day was fun though) and the zombies mode being way too different, MP was a massive let down. Only 3 war maps standard and a paltry selection of killstreaks? I went back to Black ops.

The year does not matter. It can be from the PDP 11 and it will still count.

Essentially:

Dave Ramsey No GIF by Ramsey Solutions

Like any game I hated from first day I played it… or…

What Big-Name-Game-that-everyone-loves-and-critics-hail, while I just can’t stand to know even a copy of it exists within my county…?

Does it have be famous and acclaimed?

Or can be close-to-universally loathed, feared and resented… even warned against… and still be one of those games that (in hushed, hurried whispers) be listed here…?

6 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Like any game I hated from first day I played it… or…

What Big-Name-Game-that-everyone-loves-and-critics-hail, while I just can’t stand to know even a copy of it exists within my county…?

Does it have be famous and acclaimed?

Or can be close-to-universally loathed, feared and resented… even warned against… and still be one of those games that (in hushed, hurried whispers) be listed here…?

yes

yes

and yes

Me and my bro had Speedball 1 at least  (oerhaps also 2) for the Amiga, and it got rave reviews, and I tried to play it, but just didn’t enertain me.

It was messy, and difficult to know precisely what went on where.

We had a psygnosis game called Obliterator, which had a very cool Cover, nice music, but would you believe it… instead of controlling your dude with a joystick, you used the mouse-pointer to click on pictograms to move right/left/up/shoot etc.

I felt shamed and humiliated and used in dirty way after playing it.

Hope I’ll find some help-group for victims of bad games where I can finally put words on this… perhaps there are other people out there who never knew how to put words on how playing Obliterator for the Amiga really felt like …

So, that was one game.

Whether it ever was recognized as good, bad or generally abusive playing-experience, what do I know…

…. I was just a kid you know…

Edited by Giles N

Crysis. People seemed to practically cream themselves over this game for years after it came out, and it remained the definitive "good computer" game forever. But I found it (outside of pretty) a lackluster simple fps style with small uninspired levels.

Myst, a 90's era game of the same vein, well despite bein largely point and click.

• Like 1

Well,  Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog won me over the first time I saw it at a friend's house.  Fast, colorful, fun platforming gameplay, with fun momentum-based character control, and a great soundtrack.  Dr Robotnik physically resembles a neighborhood man I knew (and avoided!)  so I LOL'd extra hard at seeing his antics.   

I am also one of those who is NOT a Zelda fan.  The NES games put me to sleep to be honest, and don't care for the 3D ones either. 

I'm trying to think of a game I hated on the 1st day I played it.  The mid-90's FMV games come to mind with 1 or 2 exceptions.  I remember renting games like Corpse Killer and Scotty Pippin Basketball and after trying a while, I HATED them both.   I thought - this crap is NOT what I bought my Sega CD for!   

On 11/14/2021 at 12:06 AM, Video said:

Crysis. People seemed to practically cream themselves over this game for years after it came out, and it remained the definitive "good computer" game forever. But I found it (outside of pretty) a lackluster simple fps style with small uninspired levels.

Myst, a 90's era game of the same vein, well despite bein largely point and click.

Picked it up in 360 to see what all the fuss was about, completed it and even went on to do the same with the sequel. 

Possibly the most over hyped series in my recent memory, terrible, terrible games. 

The first Crysis was fantastic. It has really pushed the envelope technically, but the gameplay was also very good. Especially the more open ended sections, where you had complete freedom, and the nanosuit enabled changing approaches on the fly.

The later ones got heavily corridorized, unfortunately, but are still fairly polished and overall above-average FPSes.

48 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The original PC version of Crysis and its standalone expansion Warhead are awesome. If you played the dumbed down console versions, got the new rerelease, or played either of its sequels... lol

Gameplay wise, just how much was changed for the console version of Crysis? 

I've seen talk of a level being removed.. 

Character movement being slower.. 

Changes to A. I, the enemies are somewhat smarter in the console version, making sneak attacks more difficult.. 

The suit armour mode is different, it drains energy when on, where as it didn't on the PC original... 

Anything else? 

I never played Crysis, by the time it came out I was kind of put off by the bs attitude of the obvious presence of FPS players by that rate, and while I could have run it, it seems more like a way to just be some blown out of proportion show off piece for new/better end tech to see what you could get away with -- flash n flare over something being ground breaking like when iD dropped the likes of Doom, then Quake.

“Micky Mousecapade” on NES. I rented it when I was a young teen and hated how it controlled. The only game I ever took back to a video store to exchange it. 

”Jaws” for NES was another rental that I didn’t like as my friend and I couldn’t figure it out. We played it a while and just gave up.

”Deadly Towers” I tortured myself with, thinking it had to get better. It didn’t even after destroying a couple bells or whatever you had to do.

7 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Gameplay wise, just how much was changed for the console version of Crysis? 

I've seen talk of a level being removed.. 

Character movement being slower.. 

Changes to A. I, the enemies are somewhat smarter in the console version, making sneak attacks more difficult.. 

The suit armour mode is different, it drains energy when on, where as it didn't on the PC original... 

Anything else? 

I don't know. Never played the console version and it's been like 10 years since I looked at the differences, so I forgot what they were, but I distinctly remember that you don't want to play the console version.

8 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I don't know. Never played the console version and it's been like 10 years since I looked at the differences, so I forgot what they were, but I distinctly remember that you don't want to play the console version.

Slightly different but.. 

After playing PC MOH:A. A i had such high hopes it would be converted to the Xbox, as I hated PS2 MOH:Frontline, it felt so dumbed down, but no, that's what we got. 

I loved Rebellion's original PC AVP, the Xenomorph A. I in particular made it stand out head and shoulders beyond any Aliens game i had played to date, I was horrified with what they'd done with the 2010 game, picked it up on PS3 and wtf, the Xenomorph A. I dumbed down for the casual market. 

55 minutes ago, Lostdragon said:

After playing PC MOH:A. A i had such high hopes it would be converted to the Xbox, as I hated PS2 MOH:Frontline, it felt so dumbed down, but no, that's what we got. 

They were actually working on an Xbox port of it from what I remember, but it got cancelled, probably around the same time they cancelled Medal of Honor Fighter Command.

• Thanks 1