IGNORED

Altirra 4.00 released

phaeron

I assume this is connected to the phenomenon whereby Altirra in full-screen mode suddenly runs slowly when Windows overlays the display with a notification. Clearing the notification allows the emulator to operate at full speed. Well, this happens on my system, at least (4K display, AMD RX 460).

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test10.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test10-src.7z

• Improved Keyboard Shortcuts dialog to be more reliable at binding Alt+key combinations.
  • Shortened and adjusted timing offset light pen/gun trigger pulse to be more realistic.
  • Split light pen/gun controllers apart so they have different offsets and to get rid of the inversion on the pen switch. Existing input maps need to be remade to take advantage of this.
  • Removed extraneous secondary button from light pen/gun controllers.
  • Added light pen noise emulation.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey there, I just caught up the last few pages from this thread, and I wanted to say thank you very much for the Altirra-RMT licensing update.

This was one of the (many...) licensing limbo I got stuck into, and this made me really hesitant to release a new RMT version since the plugins version I am currently using were also edited to fix several issues from the tracker itself.

So thanks again for the update, this really makes me feel a lot better about what I am allowed to share and what I was not (yet) for the version I have been working on for a quite long time now.

19 hours ago, phaeron said:

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test10.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test10-src.7z

• Improved Keyboard Shortcuts dialog to be more reliable at binding Alt+key combinations.
  • Shortened and adjusted timing offset light pen/gun trigger pulse to be more realistic.
  • Split light pen/gun controllers apart so they have different offsets and to get rid of the inversion on the pen switch. Existing input maps need to be remade to take advantage of this.
  • Removed extraneous secondary button from light pen/gun controllers.
  • Added light pen noise emulation.

Hi Avery,

after a long time I've had the chance to do something Atari related and add support for the new cartridge types 71-75 to my code.

These two make the 4.10 build dump. Probably something's also wrong with them, but the result should not be a dump.

UPDATE: I've debugged the startup sequence of the 5200 and fixed three things in my code.

- YEAR+1 is set to $ff (diagnostic cart) now, to skip the slash screen as it has no use and no valid year anyway.
- Code is now on the right (initial bank).
- Initialization of ZP pointers is correct.

Still these two updates one trigger the minidump.

- Peter.

Super Cart 128 KB 5200 cartridge (72).car Super Cart 256 KB 5200 cartridge (73).car

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

It shows NTSC or PAL on top bar..

In fullscreen i meant. Would be useful for some. That would be useful or the ability to set up ntsc or pal switch on specific title load 

Edited by oo7

Ah, I had thought that it showed on the alternative top bar when in FS, just looked and yep, you are right.... Pass, one for avery.

Edit: If you set show FPS in FS mode it does exactly that so you can tell if its pal or not (as long as you are not using some weird custom refresh?)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I'm absolutely addicted to this emulator (until I can buy a real 1200XL) ! So I read somewhere ( can't remember where for the life of me), that you can save programs to 'H:' through the D1. So I went and bought a memory card hooked it to my USB SD/Micro SD reader, attached it to the laptop, but can't figure out how to set it up. I did read all the help files. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test11.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test11-src.7z

• Fixed incomplete banking setup for 5200 Super Cart in 128K and 256K sizes.
5 hours ago, JAC! said:

Hi Avery,

after a long time I've had the chance to do something Atari related and add support for the new cartridge types 71-75 to my code.

These two make the 4.10 build dump. Probably something's also wrong with them, but the result should not be a dump.

Ah, thanks, the problem was that I hadn't completely set up the banking parameters for these new types.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm absolutely addicted to this emulator (until I can buy a real 1200XL) ! So I read somewhere ( can't remember where for the life of me), that you can save programs to 'H:' through the D1. So I went and bought a memory card hooked it to my USB SD/Micro SD reader, attached it to the laptop, but can't figure out how to set it up. I did read all the help files. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

It looks like you've got a few things mixed up here:

• You can enable the H: device in the emulator in Config System > Devices > Host Device (H:), but it is not normally tied to D1:. By default, D1: refers to a disk drive or DOS-based drive.
  • There is an option in the host device configuration to also H: as D1:, but it is not enabled by default. It's meant to allow running programs that expect files on D1: without having to boot DOS. It doesn't make sense if you are booting DOS or if you can just use H:.
  • H: doesn't target any particular device on the host, you can set it to map any folder on the PC.
  • Altirra does not in general directly make use of portable storage devices like an SD Card. You can set paths like the H: paths to point to files on the SD card, but most functions don't care whether they are accessing a external storage device or not, except for narrow cases like mounting a raw hard disk as read-only. Thus, I'm not sure why you went to buy an SD card and reader. If you are planning to exchange files between your PC running Altirra and a real Atari with an SD card device like the SIDE 3, doing this depends on how the Atari is accessing the SD card. It is actually not common for an Atari to directly access PC files on an SD card beyond a loader like the SIDE Loader, due to how slow and how much memory it takes to access PC filesystems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Ah got it. Apologies for the newbie as I thought the card could be used like a floppy disk. Anyways I removed it. Now I can't save on 'D' anymore. Just my luck I suppose.

No need to apologise, we all have to learn one way or another..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Ah got it. Apologies for the newbie as I thought the card could be used like a floppy disk. Anyways I removed it. Now I can't save on 'D' anymore. Just my luck I suppose.

Get yourself a SIDE3 or emulate one and you'll be able to freely transfer data between the PC and Atari using FAT16/32 once the new loader is released (it has a FAT DOS). You'll then be able to use an SD card like a huge floppy/hard disk with most DOS-compatible applications. The DOS is 5K long and I'm debugging it now. ;)

• Like 2

No wonder, that it will not save the changes: You loaded the ATR directly from inside a ZIP file.

;)

Edit: In case you want to keep your changes, you can click the triangle on the left of VRW and save your modified ATR to a separate stand-alone file. 

Edited by DjayBee

Hi Avery,

I have a possible feature request that others might like:

How about Computer-Eyes?

A user could select a Video Source from a WebCam or other source, downscale a snap shot to an A8 graphics screen format using a grayscale or other skin tone color or cartoon-ish appearance and be able to save it to a picture file (A8/PC format).

Just a thought.

Jay

• Like 2

Sounds good to me,  Avery is an AV superstar so I can't imagine it would be huge challenge. And it's one area the emulator hasn't gone to (although there could be a reason for that).

Over to the man with a plan :)

55 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm just super grateful that Avery decided to do this project..

Indeed. Makes everything so convenient and easy when playing the vintage 8-bit games I grew up with. Especially with modern displays and in a reliable manner.