IGNORED

do you use atari joypads ?

ATARIeric

well of all the atari controllers out there , i must say i really like the joypads that were sold with the 2600jr's im left handed and i get to move the stick/pad with my left thumb and while my right thumb smashes the 2 fire buttons :D now holding onto a stick with right hand and smashing the button with my thumb gives me carpal tunnel syndrome like you wouldnt believe, the next best thing for me is the joysticks for the 7800's cause of the buttons on both sides of the stick, i just dont like holding that controller, feels like im twisting them apart :x

so i just wanted to know what controllers you use and why ?

Eric

I use a Genesis stick most of the time and if not I use my Wico baseball bat stick.  :D

ahhhhh, so sega genesis controllers work on the atari's, 6 button or 3 button controllers?, or it doesnt matter ? maybe you know even more types that work on the atari systems 8)

cool, i have a sega stick that has all kinds of turbos on it and knobs, its new and in my wearhouse, should i go get it, or leave it there cause it wont work for it :?

thanks for replys

eric

cool beans!!! thats not the sega stick i have, mine is not an offical sega product, the word dominator is ringing a bell, but now im gonna goto the wearhouse bring it back and post it, maybe you might know if its compatible, plus i think buttons light up on it :?

i will be back!!! :twisted:

I actually have one of those SG-6 Genesis sticks, but I didn't like it all that much... it was too light to use properly for games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat... so it just sits in my pile of controllers in the basement for the time being. I've considered strapping it onto a big hunk of wood so that I can get an almost-arcade feel out of it, but I'll probably never bother. It's too bad too, because if it wasn't for the weight problem, it would be an excellent controller.

Personally, I never liked joypads all that much, but these days you're pretty much forced to use them on systems. Any joysticks are usually overly expensive and not very good. I've considered picking up a set of the Atari pads, but even if I ever get them, I'll probably stick with the Gemini controllers that I've been using for years.

--Zero

cool beans!!!    thats not the sega stick i have,  mine is not an offical sega product, the word dominator is ringing a bell, but now  im gonna goto the wearhouse bring it back and post it,  maybe you might know if its compatible,  plus i think buttons light up on it :?  

i will be back!!! :twisted:

sounds like the sega arcade controller.. I use it.. I love it

you use the "B" button for fire and It has rapid fire for going batshit on asteroids and the like :D

now.. how well it will work for you being a lefty.. I have no idea.. it seems pretty much geared up for the the righties

another stick I like to use is the one that shipped with the sears video arcade.. that has duel fire buttons.. and the paddle is built into the stick, so with that you really dont have to warry about switching controllers between joy and paddle games.

Now.. what I would like to see is a Homebrew that mixes functionality of the oystick and the paddle just to take advantage of this controller

a joystick for the left hand and pressing the buttons with right is exactly what im use to for a lefty!!! atari joypads, sega pads, nes pads, thats what i like!!!!! its the shape of the atari joypad that gets my wrist aching

i just cant use the regular type atari joysticks with the button on the left, you should see me use them, i hold the stick all funky turned to side like its upside down in my hands LOL, pisses me off, but if they are the controllers you use and then invite me over for some games play, look at the way i will be holding the controller it looks like im trying to take it apart :x that will drive you nuts,

so my question is this, can i use a sega genesis controllers on my 2600 and on my 800 and 800XL ?

Lately, I've been using a 7800 joypad or my GOATstore JAMMA 2600 stick. Prior to acquiring the 7800 pads, I frequently used a 6-button Genesis controller... they're a tad small, but I like the D-pad and overall feel.

I just found one of the funky Wico sticks (rubber coated, molded to fit in your left hand with index-finger firing) at a local thrift, so I'll be trying it our next.

Several others also get occasional use: the original 2600 sticks, a few Tacs, etc; I guess it depends on the game.

-MS

Are the Atari joypads a reference to those NES like controls that were released as controllers for Atari games?

I refer to this page

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/quickguide.htm

The model I am referring to is the one that says Atari CX78. Is that the joypad that everyone is referring to or is it another model?

yes, i stopped using mine, i like the sega pad i was reccomended to use, but that didnt stop me, i just bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...gory=41009&rd=1

and 2 of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3043759334

i bought them for the fire button on the right, no i didnt buy it cause i have small hands, next thing you know, that means i have a small :roll:

Ha anyone had any experience with using the joypads that were listed on the best electronics page? They look kind of cool and I would like to get one but I don't want to get something that breaks after one week of use.

Anyway have any experience with these controllers? Is $15 a fair price or should I look to see if someone else carries it cheaper?

I have the joypads and mostly use them for 7800 games. I like the feel of them, although they resemble chaep knockoffs of the NES controllers.

@ Miqorz--I was wondering if you might have a good source to acquire some Sega controlllers? They look a lot more comfortable of the hands.

That's the one I use on a regular basis but DO NOT use a genesis pad or stick on a C64 you WILL fry a chip.

I've got a Genny wireless 6 button pad hooked up to my C128, I use it to play Space Taxi all the time. Have I fried something and don't know it?

Markimus of K.

maybe you fried your brain 8) 42 days without alcohol, 10 minutes without hydroponics ;)

Eric

I don't know how many of you might have Jaguars, but Best Electronics sells an adapter cable so you can use the Jaguar joypads (which I personally love) with ALL atari systems except the 5200. Other than that, I just want to confirm that Genesis/SMS controllers, both the 3 and six button type(genesis) will work on all Atari systems except the 5200&ST. But Genesis/sms controllers need to be modified so that they can take advantage of BOTH 7800 buttons. Genesis controllers do work on the Amiga computers fine too, I never had tried them on the C64/128, but sinse someone said they'ed fry a chip in the C64, I guess I better not try them. I intend to pick up a pair of the CX78 joypads at some point, but mostly for collecting purposes. One more thing, if any of you have the Sega SATURN arcade sticks, the Joystick itself can be removed from the rest of the base (it's in two parts) and the joystick plugs into the button base with a standard 9-pin controller port; you can plug this into most Atari/Commodore machines and use it as well.

@ Miqorz--I was wondering if you might have a good source to acquire some Sega controlllers?  They look a lot more comfortable of the hands.

I sure do!... ME.

Hehe I bought some back stock factory new ones off ebay a while back.

I think I still have 2 or 3 left.. If you're inrested let me know. :)

i have an extra that is still brand new, if you pay for shipping, you can have it free :) or, i have these other 2 sega controller, with a small screw in metal joystick at the pad , free, just pay for shipping, i have more sticks than i can shake a stick at :P

let me know, there free