IGNORED

TeraDesk question

eightbit

I tested this for the first time today (latest version 4.0.8) and I have to say that I really like it! I am completely new to alt desktop environments on an ST and I have some questions maybe someone can help answer...as the readme that comes with this is not as clear as I would prefer:

1. On boot this always checks the A: floppy drive. I have to click cancel to progress to the desktop. Does anyone know how to stop it from doing that?

2. This one may be a simple answer for someone who knows more about the ST. After testing Teradesk I wanted to set this up as the default boot desktop. I got it to work by choosing the desktos.prg (version of TeraDesk for single TOS non-multitasking environment as I am on a 520STm with TOS 1.04) and I chose "Install Application", select "auto" and "gem application", then save the desktop and reboot. 

But, while it boots now into TeraDesk and everything appears to work ok (other than problem #1 with the checking the floppy), if I change the resolution to medium from within TeraDesk, TeraDesk closes out and drops me back to stock TOS. I think this is happening because res changing force closes all apps...and TeraDesk is a running app essentially.

Is there a way to avoid that? I mean, there must be a different way to set this up because the option to change resolutions is inside of TeraDesk.

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by eightbit

For now to solve #2 I just set to high res in regular TOS and saved the desktop...which carries over to TeraDesk. I just find it odd that the setting to change resolutions in TeraDesk would be there....knowing that it would not work as expected. Either I am doing something wrong or its a TeraDesk issue. In any case, small quirk. Again, if anyone has a better solution (or one to the bootup floppy message) please let me know.

Otherwise, nice desktop environment. Amazing how enhanced the ST environment can be with something like this.

IMG_20211118_220712.jpg

Teradesk is awesome,  it was my go to desktop back in the day.

For #1:  I don't remember having this issue.   Is it Teradesk doing this or the ST itself? (it always checks the disk).  I know Teradesk has been updated since I used it so maybe they changed something

#2:  if you have multiple partitions,  you can set one to boot in low res and another to boot in med, then select the drive to boot when you power on.   Teradesk never used to have the option to change resolutions,  I'm surprised they'd add it if it didn't work correctly

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, zzip said:

Teradesk is awesome,  it was my go to desktop back in the day.

For #1:  I don't remember having this issue.   Is it Teradesk doing this or the ST itself? (it always checks the disk).  I know Teradesk has been updated since I used it so maybe they changed something

#2:  if you have multiple partitions,  you can set one to boot in low res and another to boot in med, then select the drive to boot when you power on.   Teradesk never used to have the option to change resolutions,  I'm surprised they'd add it if it didn't work correctly

I found an old post here from 2013 with someone with the same floppy issue....so I guess this has been around for a while. Oh well...

Good idea with the multiple partition boot idea! From what I read regarding TeraDesk, the author was working on fixing some bugs and then had a health issue that had caused him not to be able to continue the work. So, this version from 2017 is where he left off. Maybe he was planning on somehow implementing res changes right from inside of TeraDesk but never got finished. 

5 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Good idea with the multiple partition boot idea! From what I read regarding TeraDesk, the author was working on fixing some bugs and then had a health issue that had caused him not to be able to continue the work. So, this version from 2017 is where he left off. Maybe he was planning on somehow implementing res changes right from inside of TeraDesk but never got finished. 

Maybe.   I've always wondered what was so complicated about changing resolutions on ST from software.   So little ST software does it,  they'll just tell you "you need to be in Medium res" then exit instead.   I can't think of any other computer that works like that.   I guess that's a topic for another conversation though.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, eightbit said:

I found an old post here from 2013 with someone with the same floppy issue....so I guess this has been around for a while. Oh well...

I had that floppy issue forever with Teradesk....  I packed up my ST for a few years and when I brought it out again it was no longer doing it.  Which means:

1) I solved it before packing it away and don't remember (this is most likely)

2) Something in the way the hardware was connected - I used an ultrasatan in both cases

3) I updated the HD driver to latest version immediately upon setting it up again - I wonder if that 'accidentally' fixed it.  

I do remember being quite frustrated with it and posting about it...  If you get it resolved I'd love to know how you did it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atari8guy said:

I had that floppy issue forever with Teradesk....  I packed up my ST for a few years and when I brought it out again it was no longer doing it.  Which means:

1) I solved it before packing it away and don't remember (this is most likely)

2) Something in the way the hardware was connected - I used an ultrasatan in both cases

3) I updated the HD driver to latest version immediately upon setting it up again - I wonder if that 'accidentally' fixed it.  

I do remember being quite frustrated with it and posting about it...  If you get it resolved I'd love to know how you did it.

I'm working on it. I can feel your previous frustration ;)

I'm using an ASCI2STM interface (masteries) which is similar to ultrasatan in functionality and the HDD setup I am using is basically stock. I partitioned and formatted the sd card using the PP driver I had purchased and copied games and TeraDesk to it. So, not much going on in terms of software running. Nothing is running....no acc's, no auto folder. Just odd. 

20 hours ago, eightbit said:

1. On boot this always checks the A: floppy drive. I have to click cancel to progress to the desktop. Does anyone know how to stop it from doing that?

Could it be in the Teradesk.inf file that the last desktop to be saved contains an open window on drive A: ?

So removing the INF file, or saving a new desktop should fix the problem.

Guillaume.

21 hours ago, moulinaie said:

Could it be in the Teradesk.inf file that the last desktop to be saved contains an open window on drive A: ?

So removing the INF file, or saving a new desktop should fix the problem.

Guillaume.

Nope. Again, this computer does not physically have a floppy drive at all....so, no way to even open a window on the A: drive (it would error)