IGNORED

Tron - rebooting a classic

intvdave

One of the worst games I owned as a kid was Tron Maze-a-Tron.... maybe it was tied with Space Hawk. I did not own Vectron.

I had to look beyond my bad memories and had to believe Maze-a-Tron could be a great game. I just had to look to the games strengths.

Fast forward 40 years... Tron is being rebooted! The first two of the series to be released are updates of Adventures of Tron and a Super Pro treatment of Maze-a-Tron..... Tron Reloaded

These will only be released as ROM packages to be used in emulation or with a multi-cart such as the CC3 or LTO Flash.

Visit: http://intellivision.us/roms.php to order Tron Reloaded ($10.00) and download Adventures of Tron (free). While there, also pick up the newly released ROM package of Intellivision Revolutions's Donkey Kong Junior.

Here is the manual for Tron Reloaded: Manual.pdf

Below is a list of all the changes to Tron Reloaded. The key major changes are: the game has an ending, Intellivoice support has been added, and it is FUN TO PLAY!!!!

----- overall -----
 3 chances to battle the CPU - game is not based on lives
 added Intellivoice
 disabled practice mode
 each visit to the CPU decrease the level
 easier to reach RAM chips - must use I/O Transporter
 4 levels of play (1-3, and DISC)
 phase 1 screen movement increases as levels decrease
 phase 2 number movement decreases as levels go down
 fixed bug in original game that would crash randomly when in the ram chips

----- phase1 -----
 man is smaller - easier to navigate
 turn arounds on both sides of RAM chips
 ram chips are randomly set. More likely to be black one (1) at higher levels
 collect 2 zeros at a time instead of one
 press 4 on keypad to hear how much energy is stored up
 press 5 on keypad to hear how many zeros are stored up
 press 6 on keypad to hear level on
 Being hit by a Recognizer/force field reduces shields by 20 and zeros by 5
 Falling off the screen reduces shields by 10 and zeros by 2
 randomly placed in maze when hit by Recognizer/force field, or moved off screen
 minor maze changes to make it easier to get through
 direction could change after transporting or falling off screen
 need energy to get to ram chips / can not go around
 updated graphics
 voice will say "ok ok" when you have enough zeros (28+)
 start off with shields and zeros 1=50/10 2=40/5 3=30/0 disc=20/0
 shorter intervals when charging shields and collecting zeros

----- phase2 -----
 bullets originate from level of second set of numbers
 cursor stays in line with numbers
 numbers move quickly off screen when match not made
 a hit by the CPU makes numbers move faster
 voice will say "oh no" or "uh oh" if you miss a match
 voice will announce the computer is upset before sending you back to phase 1
 beat the computer by matching all 14 sets of numbers
 matches made shown on bottom right

• Like 15

8 hours ago, intellivotion said:

wow, thank you!! Since I didn't hate the original I'm sure I will love this

I didn't hate it either.  There were so many other Intellivision games I didn't understand as a kid, like Utopia, that I went on assuming I just didn't get the point yet.  It was what I considered my first "open-world game" experience.  The real enjoyment came from the eye/ear candy.

• Like 1

Just recently bought both Boxing and Tron.  Have not tried TRON yet but will later.  This was the only game I ever returned as a kid.  Just did not like it and I love the movie and Deadly Discs.  

Boxing was fun.  I was losing big time in my first fight but managed a knockout just before the end of the match.  Sweet!!!

Just played Maze-A-Tron... wow!  You did a fantastic job in bringing a semi-dull game back to life!   It's easier to play, to move around and get the Phase 1 tasks complete.  Adding in the Intellivoice support was a great idea! 

Phase 2 is definitely more difficult!  Gotta really pay attention to what you're doing, which makes it a whole lot more challenging!   "I can't allow this!"  I laughed out loud when the MCP said that.

Thanks!  What a real treat to have life back into this game.

40 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Phase 2 is definitely more difficult!  Gotta really pay attention to what you're doing, which makes it a whole lot more challenging!   "I can't allow this!"  I laughed out loud when the MCP said that.

Phase 2 looks the same but is very different. I think the controls are better but it takes more focus to match the numbers. I made level 1 so easy that you have to be able to complete Phase 1 and 2 with little effort.

Thank you for enjoying the game!

2 hours ago, intvdave said:

Phase 2 looks the same but is very different. I think the controls are better but it takes more focus to match the numbers. I made level 1 so easy that you have to be able to complete Phase 1 and 2 with little effort.

Thank you for enjoying the game!

What you did is perfect.  It was too easy to loose interest in the game with Phase 1 as it was.  Then to work that hard only to get blasted right out on Phase 2 killed it for me.  Now it feels right.  Phase 1 is easy, not super easy, but as it should be...then the real challenge begins in Phase 2.  I also like that you gave the "ok, ok" so that you know that you have enough "zeros" to knock down the chips.  Used to drive me crazy thinking I did, then run out.