IGNORED

3DOI commemorative Box Collection?

Link:
https://www.instagram.com/3doi_immortality/?utm_medium=copy_link (i.redd.it)

Discussion on Panasonic 3DO Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/132715680092519

What I know:

From the conversations I had, this is a commemorative set in commemoration of a Finland 3D0 Programmer. A set created by the children of said programmer. These are supposedly liscensed and made from their original source / matrices etc. According to the source on Panasonic 3DO's facebook page, there are only 300 box sets of each set. Further details include that 3DOI is a project in Finland to preserve everything 3DO, but I am unable to find much information on them beyond the Instagram page and what I got from said noted source.  I managed contact and was able, at risk of loss (Yes, I know these could be elaborate fakes), to place an order for 1 of each set. I will post an update once those arrive.

260553088_241270401432781_4521052114014160591_n (1).jpg

260623347_241270361432785_6287180533301786428_n.jpg

Edited by Wing_Commander
Duplicate image

And to which programmer is that collection dedicated to? Seems to be the most important information, but apparently nowhere to be found. Checking MobyGames, I can't find a single person who worked on all of these six games. Wouldn't you proudly state that on the boxes? Well, unless the story is made-up, of course.

To me, these are simply repros made to make money. Why would anyone even get these instead of the original releases? They aren't the best games either. And I don't see any numbering on the boxes to indicate they are really limited to 300. I don't think these are $200 well spent...

Edited by derSammler
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, derSammler said:

And to which programmer is that collection dedicated to? Seems to be the most important information, but apparently nowhere to be found. Checking MobyGames, I can't find a single person who worked on all of these six games. Wouldn't you proudly state that on the boxes? Well, unless the story is made-up, of course.

To me, these are simply repros made to make money. Why would anyone even get these instead of the original releases? They aren't the best games either. And I don't see any numbering on the boxes to indicate they are really limited to 300. I don't think these are $200 well spent...

I had asked this question myself and I aslo could not find out who... However, the product seems to exist and here are other images I got from a private chat with a fellow who has some of these. I had chosen to purchase box 1 and box 2 from him via Itemized Paypal transaction. If I get nothing, Paypal will refund me. Otherwise if I do get something I will do a full review and a partial unboxing of Box 1. I will also open one of the games in Box 1 and test it. So these are either fake, a hoax, really nice reproductions, or actually a commenorative box collection. I think we can agree that we can best hope that they are really nice reproductions because the story behind these is suspect at best.. I also do have the official games of all these and I agree they aren't the best games out there for 3DO. I am doing this out of curiosity and because other people are also curious about these as well. Otherwise I am not really into reproductions myself..

260623347_241270361432785_6287180533301786428_n.jpg

263577176_187759663572642_9150310490124420380_n.jpg

262978930_1788463057990808_8344061021675268738_n.jpg

263073459_1310919686087163_7366173273083582752_n.jpg

263184697_679613186758033_5871581638804766481_n.jpg

263190303_688583362110948_4032165416243953310_n.jpg

Edited by Wing_Commander

So stay tuned..., I am awaiting delivery on these for which I will document the best I can, or maybe send them out to someone who can do a really good video review of these. If they turn out to be just really nice reproductions, I will be happy with the price I paid. Fingers Crossed!

Edited by Wing_Commander
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3DOi Box collection update:
* Delivery is estimated to be in the next 5 days.. I hope!
* I have made contact with those at 3DOi and have been informed that the Project began in memory of a 3DO programmer (Yet to be announced).. Said programmer did not work on all the games being released in these box collections.
* There are interesting features in each set that commemorate the games..., some will come with commemoration medals or control cards and puzzles etc.
* There will also soon be a Box 3 set as well.
Stay tuned! ?

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2021 at 1:44 AM, Wing_Commander said:

From the conversations I had, this is a commemorative set in commemoration of a Finland 3D0 Programmer. A set created by the children of said programmer.

Was it ever revealed who this programmer was?  

I expect that the list of deceased Finnish 3DO game programmers is extremely short. 🤔

15 hours ago, jhd said:

Was it ever revealed who this programmer was?  

I expect that the list of deceased Finnish 3DO game programmers is extremely short. 🤔

I never got a straight answer on that.. I concluded it is likely BS and that these are just really well done reproductions.. They are high quality, but the back story I am getting is so vague I consider it nonsense. With that said, these are still pretty cool to have. I have Box set 3 now too. The only other reproduction I own is "The Eye Of Typhoon" from LRG. 

Edited by Wing_Commander
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 12/4/2021 at 3:05 AM, derSammler said:

E a qual programador essa coleção é dedicada? Parece ser uma informação mais importante, mas aparentemente não foi encontrada em lugar nenhum. Verificando MobyGames, não consigo encontrar uma única pessoa que tenha trabalhado em todos esses seis jogos. Você não declara isso com orgulho nas caixas? Bem, a menos que a história seja inventada, é claro.

Para mim, essas são simplesmente reproduções feitas para ganhar dinheiro. Por que alguém iria conseguir isso em vez dos lançamentos originais? Eles também não são os melhores jogos. E não vejo nenhuma numeração nas caixas que indique que elas estão realmente limitadas a 300. Não acho que sejam US$ 200 bem gastos...

From my research, the considerations you made today may have been modified. Today in Box 4 and soon they should be at number 5. If you consider the best games within a universe of more than 200 there aren't many left, this way you're not putting the history of the platform as a negative, which I think is pretty cool. When analyzing the box's I saw that they are the most perfect copies in the world, including posters that weren't available at the time. In the latest releases there are self-adhesive stickers and cards with the history of programmers, companies and games, all wonderful in envelopes. Regarding the indication you question regarding the numbering of the boxes, yes it exists and is fixed internally. So don't be so critical, especially without knowing the whole story in depth. The programmer will be revealed, along with a big surprise where everyone who has the complete collection will also be "immortalized" as collectors. Maybe it's the craziest retro project of all time.

• 2 weeks later...

My interest is piqued lol

And can we get a reproduction of long box crash and burn?

On 11/10/2023 at 1:45 PM, Charede said:

From my research, the considerations you made today may have been modified. Today in Box 4 and soon they should be at number 5. If you consider the best games within a universe of more than 200 there aren't many left, this way you're not putting the history of the platform as a negative, which I think is pretty cool. When analyzing the box's I saw that they are the most perfect copies in the world, including posters that weren't available at the time. In the latest releases there are self-adhesive stickers and cards with the history of programmers, companies and games, all wonderful in envelopes. Regarding the indication you question regarding the numbering of the boxes, yes it exists and is fixed internally. So don't be so critical, especially without knowing the whole story in depth. The programmer will be revealed, along with a big surprise where everyone who has the complete collection will also be "immortalized" as collectors. Maybe it's the craziest retro project of all time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 5:10 PM, sirlynxalot said:

My interest is piqued lol

And can we get a reproduction of long box crash and burn?

Eventually I think.. I know Box set 5 will probably be released next year..  Fingers cross because the Ukraine War and Covid 19 etc has made things more difficult for them. I am currently awaiting box set five as I have the first 4 thus far ;)