IGNORED

1050 Stepper Motor Problem.

DavidMil

Does anyone know if there is a source for new 1050 stepper motors?  I have a 1050 that the stepper motor stops and you can give it a

little 'push' with a finger and it starts moving again. At least until it comes back to that same spot.  I marked it with a pencil and the motor

stops at that same spot no matter which way the head is moving.  I pulled the whole transport assembly out of the 1050 and swapped it

with another 1050.  The problem followed the questionable stepper motor transport.  There are no bad spots on the rails or other obstructions

that I can see.  The motor is a DC COPAL Motor # LC-177E

DavidMil 

Also if internal oil is "gunked up" you may be able to also loosen things up by just manually sliding the whole transport back and forth many times while the drive is off, and see if it moves any better afterwards...

Another thought would be to test WST 1050 firmware in the drive, as that ROMs stepper phase encodings always keeps two of the phase coils of the stepper powered instead of just one with regular Tandon firmware - more likely to be able to overcome any physical resistance. However, this will put the transport 1/4 of a track out of alignment in a Tandon 1050, so should be manually realigned if kept permanently.

mark the band and the lock down plate screw, as the stepper motor mounting positioning tabs underneath and then rotate the stepper 'exactly' 180 degrees, hand exercise the drive by hand a number of times and then give it a whirl... it's worked before...

• Like 2

There is a known failure of these motors, which you might have experienced. It deals with its commutator, which wears out. As a result, some shorts may appear inside. it is possible to disassemble it and clean. Yet - I am completly not sure, it if's your case.

• Like 1

The problem is with the transport stepper motor.  The transport from the good 1050 worked ok with the PC Board of the questionable

transport.  Thank you Doctor and Peri Noid.  I'll give both of your suggestion a try (Doctor's first), and let you know what happens.

If I can pull the motor apart and clean it; great.  If I totally destroy it; no real lose.  At the worst, there are several on ebay. 

David 

• Like 1