IGNORED

Visual batari Basic Setup

KevKelley

I am slowly trying to expand beyond using Visual batari Basic and get acquainted with the Atari Dev Studio. I was previously using a Windows 7 laptop for all my work but decided to get a a Windows 10 tablet to take with me on the road but after installation of VbB I had various issues getting files to compile.  I had read through the various websites and forum pages for the numerous fixes, such as no spaces in the file directory names. The main issue I had was that while it would say that the file compiled when I would try to run it would give me an error message and say that there was no .bin.

Eventually I got it to work so I'd figure I'd share my "fix" in case anyone else experienced similar issues. 

Instead of using the 2600basic from the installer for the compiler I used the 2600basic.Windows.x64.exe that was in the Atari Dev Studio extension.  I am not sure why the install_win.bat did not work and it through me for a bit why it would not work, even when I would uninstall Visual Studio Code or VbB and reinstall/restart/etc.

• Like 1

Not a clue what was going on.  My usual fixes for this situation are:

* Making sure .NET 3.5 is installed

* Install bB and VisualbB to C:\bB (instead of a network drive or Program Files or Dev\2600\Blah)

*  Making sure setx.exe is in the Windows PATH (i.e. C:\Windows\System32)

* Making sure to download the latest bB from R.T.s Getting Started section link and dumping either the 32-bit or 64-bit files into the C:\bB folder.

* When running under WINE/Crossover Office/PlayOnLinux always set the alt batch file and use that to compile.

I did have it installed in a different directory (I just made some links on Desktop). Not sure about setx.exe. And when I used the alt bat file it didn't work... But then it only did it with 2600basic.exe and had not tried with the other files. 

I had installed Atari Dev Studio first and then when I installed VbB I noticed when I'd toggle the variable boxes in settings it would identify the batch file as being in the Visual Studio Code directory, even after I would delete it or try to update the bB files. But when I manually selected the directory and selected that .exe it started working. 

All that made me wonder that when I installed dev Studio if it made those folders the default and overridden anything else I would do. 

Apart from that the software works well on a small Windows 10 tablet (I got an older Dell) because it fit size and budget and I'll probably use a micro SD for storage and external drives or cloud for using data in-between this and my laptop. I just figured this just increases accessibility since I can't tote my laptop around everywhere. 

Am I reading that correctly? You're messing with the VbB variable boxes? If so, that's probably why you're having problems. Ever since RevEng made changes to bB, we're not supposed to mess with those boxes. Look at this and pay close attention to step #3:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#install_vbb

3 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Am I reading that correctly? You're messing with the VbB variable boxes? If so, that's probably why you're having problems. Ever since RevEng made changes to bB, we're not supposed to mess with those boxes. Look at this and pay close attention to step #3:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#install_vbb

The only reason I messed with them was after I couldn't get things to work (and that was after following all steps and reading various solutions in the forums) but I had only checked and unchecked them to see the directory that VbB listed on the bottom of the page. 

But after I played around with them I uninstalled everything and started all over. 

• Like 1