IGNORED

Atari St Monitor

Hi All

Im new to the forum i have moved here across from vogons as someone said that i may get more support here with my new atari st computer.

I have recently purchased an Atari St 520 and need a vga monitor for it. i have the vga adapter that the computer uses but i am looking for anyone that can recommend a lcd monitor

that is readily available to purchase in Australia.

i am also looking to replace the original floppy drive with a gotek but my atari has a strange floppy drive and i am not sure what gotek or 3d printed case i would need to buy.

please see the pics of my computer to help with this.

s-l1600.jpg

Welcome to age of Atari ?

Floppy drive is original one, according to pic. It is just eject button and plastic front in Atari style. Inside is pretty much regular DD 3.5 inch drive.

More problems with floppy drive happen simply because of their age, and age of disks.

Now, what is exactly that VGA adapter, and with what monitor you use it currently. In which color mode, resolution ?

Is Australia PAL or NTSC land ? I guess should be PAL, since British connection, but I really never thought about it.

I ask because maybe better solution instead LCD monitor would be LCD TV with Scart connector - and they are for sure available in PAL land.

That can cost just little more than bare monitor. And finding VGA monitor (little outdated term now) what supports Atari video signal in color mode is not so easy.  Well, only in case if your VGA adapter is good quality.

Hi thank you. the vga adapter i have came with the computer and is unbranded it cas a little switch on it to switch between monochrome and color mode.

i don't currently have a monitor for this computer.

in regards to the gotek im a little confused about what sort of gotek to buy as they come in many different form factors.

that's a good idea about looking for a little tv but scart in Australia was rarely used and finding TVs these days with analog inputs is hard.

The disk drive in this pc works with no issues.

is it possible to use a pc with a 1.4mb floppy or will the atari only read 720k disc?

1 hour ago, vkcpolice said:

is it possible to use a pc with a 1.4mb floppy or will the atari only read 720k disc?

Standard Atari is only 720K disks, it requires some modifications/parts to be able to use 1.44Mb floppy's

and as @ParanoidLittleMan said, it's not really worth the effort, if you don't already have software on that format,

best go for a Gotec 

It is not worth to do mod for 1.44 MB floppies (HD), and it may need special FDC chip (Ajax), what will be not cheap.

PC can work with 720 K floppies, and real problem is actually not floppy drive in PC, but Windows and its poor floppy driver.

I made SW what helps in it: http://atari.8bitchip.info/floimgd.php

"the vga adapter i have came with the computer and is unbranded it cas a little switch on it to switch between monochrome and color mode. "

That doesn't sound good. Best would be to test it with someone's VGA monitor. It might be that quality of pic will be not good. Or even that there is no conversion to usual VGA frequencies at all in color modes - in other words that it needs special, multisync monitor, and that's harder to find, and price might be not so good too.

If it appears that color mode works not with some average VGA monitor, I think that is better to get smaller TV with Scart. Price is not much bigger than for just monitor.  Here still can get Philips 24PFT4022 . I bought such 3.5 years ago, and has very good pic quality with Atari. Only drawback is that Atari monochrome mode works not. But that mode is not for average user who want to play, run some older SW what works in low/med res. I have older VGA/DVI monitor with which can use monochrome mode. And monochrome will work with any VGA monitor, even if is very old. Additionally you have TV, movie playback from USB attached media, and even recording of TV programs. And 2 HDMI inputs beside VGA and Scart inputs.

3 hours ago, vkcpolice said:

in regards to the gotek im a little confused about what sort of gotek to buy as they come in many different form factors.

First you need to decide if you're willing to modify the case to have Gotek inside or not. It's tricky to fit even a simple Gotek without cutting some plastic (you might need a special mount).  I think it's just about possible with the basic one, but the model with rotary dial won't fit. I have the basic Gotek inside and it's difficult to operate.

It's probably a better idea to drag the cable to outside of the case (though I'm not sure if on ST you can do it without some cuts, like on Amiga) and use the Gotek externally.

As for different models, they are basically the same thing, it's just the better ones have OLED display and a rotary knob. That makes file navigation much easier and I recommend spending a bit more and choosing this option (wish I had).

Edited by youxia

On 12/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, vkcpolice said:

Hi All

Im new to the forum i have moved here across from vogons as someone said that i may get more support here with my new atari st computer.

I have recently purchased an Atari St 520 and need a vga monitor for it. i have the vga adapter that the computer uses but i am looking for anyone that can recommend a lcd monitor

that is readily available to purchase in Australia.

i am also looking to replace the original floppy drive with a gotek but my atari has a strange floppy drive and i am not sure what gotek or 3d printed case i would need to buy.

please see the pics of my computer to help with this.

s-l1600.jpg

Greetings Vkcpolice,

As friend Youxia exposed,

A low cost good performance hard disk unit would be a very practical add on for your recently acquired computer,

it is shipped to Australia too

Hi

As a replacement for old floppy drive, Gotek is also good option,its quite inexpensive and if modded easy to use. I flashed mine with flashfloppy firmware modded with 1602 lcd panel and rotary encoder, everything cost about 25 eur (2020). Flashfloppy and modifications are well documented and not difficult to do. Gotek was purchased from Aliexpress and model is SFR1M44-U100K. The only problems were  that the Atari`s internal floppy cable was  too short so had to make extension cable for it and I had to make en  external enclosure for lcd panel which is the wired inside atari. I guess it could be "embedded" inside Atari too.

• 1 month later...

Can you run the gotek as a external drive and keep the original drive in the computer? or is it like the amiga and needs to be set as the main boot drive for games to run?

also how do you flash the gotek when i bought my amiga version i just put flash floppy on the usb drive with roms and it worked can you do this with atari or do you need to flash the rom on the gotek itself?

does this work? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/115226054075?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df3d18abd31bb41fbac5c81717fc8327e%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D125026153373%26itm%3D115226054075%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A6647c86d-88d3-11ec-a5d8-de10e2fc70cc|parentrq%3Ad91f330a17e0a1b4159b7e35fff3e506|iid%3A1

Edited by vkcpolice

The internal drive is always A, but as @Chri O. says, you can modify the cabling internally to maybe insert a switch

to flip A to B and vice versa

Edit: although my floppies were all external on my 520ST, I had 3 X 3 1/2 and a 5 1/4 drive, and with

a couple of switches any could be drive A or B

Edited by TGB1718

I just checked the circuit diagram for a 1040ST which should be similar to yours, look at the attached diagram

in particular W2, it does look like you can switch drives over, it's not likely to be an actual switch, but a soldered

jumper. Find that and maybe you can make the required changes

image.thumb.png.a4980febf8730767e821c9c1534eb89d.png

• 1 year later...

Hi all i know this is a old thread but i have since pulled this computer out of storage to try and tackle the Gotek issue with my long drive atari st.

unfortunately GOEX drives from https://centuriontech.eu/product/goex4st/

are out of stock and have been since i started this thread is there anyone else selling any options for the atari st?

thanks

Edited by vkcpolice