IGNORED

Pac-Man Throttle for the 5200???

mdborn76

On 12/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, discotronic said:

I have a Pac-Man and Mrs. Pac-Man throttle hack ROMs. They are both .bin files. Is that what you are looking for?

Can you possibly upload those here, I also have both the throttle hacks but my Pac-Man throttle hack is an .atr file so I could sure use a .bin file of both for sure Thanks! :) 

On 12/10/2021 at 10:28 AM, discotronic said:

I have a Pac-Man and Mrs. Pac-Man throttle hack ROMs. They are both .bin files. Is that what you are looking for?

I'm sure bin files will work on my 3DS.  They work for my 7800 emulator and since the 5200 was created by the same person, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the 5200 emu.  If you can upload them, that would be awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, discotronic said:

I was mistaken on the Pac-Man file. The file type is .atr. The Ms. Pac-Man is a .bin. The attached is what I have. I did not have a chance to test them but I am very sure they are on my Atarimax cart. 

the .bin file works on my Mac mini m1 with open emu.  The air file does not work.  If I rename it to .bin it loads the Atari log and then black screen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 7:10 PM, Lynxpro said:

"Throttle"? What does that mean in the context of Pac-Man?  Is the term being used in the place of "Turbo" or "Zoom" mod modes?

I was envisioning variable speed control like a throttle. 

Would be fun to have the keypad select the game speed on the fly. 

0=normal

1-9=incrementally faster, up to 9=hyper fast

Would be a Super System exclusive and pretty rad to offer another game mode where the keypad alters just the speed of Pac Man while all other game parameters remain normal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 8:57 AM, Koa Zo said:

0=normal

Would be a Super System exclusive and pretty rad to offer another game mode where the keypad alters just the speed of Pac Man while all other game parameters remain normal.

Those would be "Turbo" modes. Like the unauthorized arcade "Zoom" Button mods that were popular on Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man arcade cabs. Even Tengen referred to it as "Turbo" on their NES and Sega Genesis versions.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:57 AM, Koa Zo said:

0=normal

Sort of what I was thinking, too, only that you'd go faster the more extreme the direction was pushed (analog joystick mode).  Hard left would be way faster than just barely left, for example.  Would probably be really tough to play, too.  Maybe the faster you go, the faster the ghosts go, too, hahaha, that would be interesting.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:42 AM, Lynxpro said:

Those would be "Turbo" modes. Like the unauthorized arcade "Zoom" Button mods that were popular on Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man arcade cabs. Even Tengen referred to it as "Turbo" on their NES and Sega Genesis versions.

Turbo modes speed up the entire game logic.

What I was suggesting was an option to just speed up the player character while all other parameters remain standard.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 7:20 PM, Koa Zo said:

Turbo modes speed up the entire game logic.

What I was suggesting was an option to just speed up the player character while all other parameters remain standard.

Although on the Sega Genesis version that Tengen [cough, Atari Games Corp, cough] did, "Turbo" only sped up Ms. Pac-Man. I much preferred when it sped up the entire game logic on the unauthorized arcade mods back in the day. The dramatic speed increase of the entire game made me think of "Super Pursuit Mode" on Knight Rider around the same time back then...

• Like 1