IGNORED

Favorite obscure game

Also for an obscure game... I loved Dan/Dani Bunten's Cytron Masters.

For me, possibly the most underrated game in the A8's catalogue. Fantastic gameplay, real depth of strategy, amazing graphics (how were they done, look hi res and in colour.?). I used to play it non stop against a friend.

Great topic,

The 8-bit had lots of strange and obscure titles, but there are two games that I enjoyed a lot for god knows why!

"One Man And His Droid" by Mastertronic is very addictive once you get into it, and although the music is great for the first 5 minutes I think listening to it any longer and you may become a Manchurian Candidate :-)

The other is "Sun Star" by CRL - This is a little like Tron light cycles but you need to collect energy and shoot the baddies - pity it was the only CRL game on the 8-bit AFAIK.

Karl @ AEX

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if these are obscure or not, but I played alot of these games:

Up'n Down - You had this car that you had to jump. (Can't seem to get it working on Atari800Win though)

Slim - Direct Slim into a catcher.

Tumble Bugs - Maze with a Magnify glass.

Tapper - Serve Moutain Dew to customers

Pinhead - Catch Ballons on your head.

• 5 years later...

Well,

is there already a fix for "Bandits" available, so it loads on the XL/XE computers without the translator disk ?!? And how about the "Tail of Beta Lyrae" ?!? -Andreas.

one of the first games I played on my 800xl was the tail of beta lyrae, why would you need a translator disk for that? It alread played on the XL right out of the package

Well,

is there already a fix for "Bandits" available, so it loads on the XL/XE computers without the translator disk ?!? And how about the "Tail of Beta Lyrae" ?!? -Andreas.

one of the first games I played on my 800xl was the tail of beta lyrae, why would you need a translator disk for that? It alread played on the XL right out of the package

Don't think he said it did! Nice reopening these old threads thou :D

River Rat, Nibbler and Thank God It's Friday :!:

Hmm,

since this topic is also about patching XL/XE incompatible games, the cart/ROM version of "Fort Apocalypse" works on the 400/800 only. There is an EXE / XEX file available that works fine on the XL/XE computers - but it is longer than 16kbytes (think someone appended the patched code to the game so it got longer than 16kbytes)...

I would like to have a fixed ROM-file version of Fort Apocalypse, that I can burn it onto an Eprom and use it as a standard 16k XL/XE cart...

-----------

Back to topic: My favourite obscure games are "Tact War" by Mark K. Akita and "Sternhaufen II" by Bibosoft (the last one released in Compyshop magazine, uses german language). I patched "Sternhaufen II" a lot to make it more playable and err, I wish someone could make "Tact War" a little faster (or at least the initializing time at the beginning much shorter)...

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-tactwar_5232.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-sternhaufen-ii_12191.html

-Andreas Koch.

• 4 weeks later...
I would like to have a fixed ROM-file version of Fort Apocalypse, that I can burn it onto an Eprom and use it as a standard 16k XL/XE cart...

Seeing as we'd already abused this topic by turning it into a collection point for 'patched' OS-B titles... I couldn't resist this one. ;)

I've only tested under emulation but it seems to be OK under both OS-B and XL-OS and so I'll endeavour to try others out. Therefore PM me any issues or report them here.

Enjoy,

Mark

FortApocalypsePatched.zip

• Like 1

A PD game called "Surfs Up", which really should have been produced commercially.

Well,

it actually was/had been a commercial program. Think the PD/Freeware versions that are floating around do also have a side b with instructions and if I remember correctly this instruction also mentioned that it was a commercial game and is now freeware or PD... -Andreas Koch.

Thank you very much Mark !!!

Afaik, I have a few more 800-only games in my collection (that have not been patched yet). Would you like to also give them a try ?!? -Andreas Koch.

Seeing as we'd already abused this topic by turning it into a collection point for 'patched' OS-B titles... I couldn't resist this one. ;)

I've only tested under emulation but it seems to be OK under both OS-B and XL-OS and so I'll endeavour to try others out. Therefore PM me any issues or report them here.

Enjoy,

Mark

I loved (and still love!) Captain Beeble. I'd consider that a pretty obscure game.

Captain Beeble! YES!!!! I remember that one! Hell yes, I totally forgot it's name and have been wanting to play it again so badly! :)

Aghh, and Sun Star too! Another great classic! The best Tron Cycle game I've ever played!

Edited by Syfo-Dyas

• 11 months later...
GORF next...

I found this using XL Search and seems to work fine on A800Win?

What was the issue?

ftp://ftp.spudster.org//pub/atari/cth/gam.../atr/g/gorf.zip

Sorry to bump an old thread, perhaps needlessly-so? Bryan (thanks, man) pointed to this old thread in another thread - and I was not aware of this thread.

But the point: The fixed-Gorf link (2003!!!!) doesn't work. Could someone be persuaded to post the file?

Thx!

This is great giving up the Translator.

IIRC: the GORF problem was to do with the ROM (cart) version as it was using "page 3" and so tripped up the XL/XE O/S check for cartridges being pulled. I think my analysis found that there wasn't any free area to safely relocate the use of this page and so everyone would be simply better off using the executable verison.

• Like 1

And maybe not that obscure but Chopper rescue drove me mad, could not stop playing it...Diagonal bombs...argh....Always went straight down...

Chopper Rescue by Microprose (later re-released as Air Rescue 1) was a BASIC classic! I have this on a Microprose menu disk along with Hellcat Ace and Floyd of the Jungle... happy memories of '82/83 discovering the vast array of software on my uncle's 800....

Anyway, an obscure game I just picked up on ebay from one of the Venezuelan sellers is an Avalon Hill game called Vorrak, missed this one before - it's BASIC but strangely addictive, it's keeping me busy anyway! icon_smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Err well,

since a lot of 800-only games were fixed here in the past, I once ask again for help or better for a fix of the games "Q-Bert" (not the original version) and "Satarn Saturn" since they do not work on the XL/XE computers... Wrathchild or anyone else, could you please fix them ?!?

-Andreas Koch.

q_bert.zip

satarn_saturn.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin