IGNORED

PCARD & Psys Questions

hloberg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 12:17 AM, hloberg said:

@apersson850 if you will, could you go over editing, step by step, a file example.

I intended to record a video of doing this on my real TI 99/4A, but I just realized that I can't do that, since I use a real CRT. I have no way to genlock that to the recording camera, so the screen will black out on a regular basis.

11 minutes ago, apersson850 said:

I intended to record a video of doing this on my real TI 99/4A, but I just realized that I can't do that, since I use a real CRT. I have no way to genlock that to the recording camera, so the screen will black out on a regular basis.

no worries, I think I'm starting to get the hang of the p-card. the psys, on the other hand, it's a bit buggy so I put it to the side for now. my guess is some rewrite would be needed to get Geneve Psys to work and that's beyond me right now (or even care to for that matter). But i am going to keep playing with the p-card in MAME and will eventually post a Project blog on it.

Well, I got Classic99 going in my computer at home. That one has, of course, modern screens. That would be possible to record. It does really work exactly the same as it does in my old TI 99/4A, just a bit faster. If I want it to.

I'll also see if I can transfer some source code from the real iron to the emulator. Could be interesting to see if the bitmap routines I developed for the TI will run there.

There's one thing I've not understood yet, though. In Classic99, I can select Mini Memory as a cartridge. That works. But if I select the p-code card after that, what happens to the Mini Memory module? There are several other cartridges, like Extended BASIC and Editor/Assembler to choose from. In a real machine, they can't be inserted at the same time as Mini Memory. But the p-code card can exist with any module, and the Mini Memory module is good to have, when making programs that consume a large part of the memory normally available to the p-system.

Is there RAM at 7000-7FFFH when the p-system is running in Classic99?

• Like 1

I use MAME/MESS myself with the P-Card (and other things). Not classic 99 is bad i just like the feel of MAME/MESS and @mizapf has gone to great lengths to make it cycle accurate. 

I have a fairly full package of files & docs for the P-Card MAME/MESS (and should work with Classic 99 too) at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gBqAWCFpJKVc9saebZcsxT3mJIkhcuR1/view 

(that'll take you straight to the .zip bypassing my TI99resources.wordpress.com)

Edited by hloberg
  • Like 3

Thank you. I found my own old Turtlegraphics disk in there. But I can't open it in Classic99 under the p-code card. I can open the DSK, but the Filer's Volume command can't see it as a p-system disk. It works with disks like the Compiler and Editor/Filer.

Do you have the same issue or is it me being daft here?

23 hours ago, apersson850 said:

There's one thing I've not understood yet, though. In Classic99, I can select Mini Memory as a cartridge. That works. But if I select the p-code card after that, what happens to the Mini Memory module? There are several other cartridges, like Extended BASIC and Editor/Assembler to choose from. In a real machine, they can't be inserted at the same time as Mini Memory. But the p-code card can exist with any module, and the Mini Memory module is good to have, when making programs that consume a large part of the memory normally available to the p-system.

Is there RAM at 7000-7FFFH when the p-system is running in Classic99?

The built-in modules replace each other - even though the pCode is not really a module.

However, any CPU address that doesn't contain ROM in Classic99 contains RAM, so the answer to your question is yes, there is RAM at >7000-7FFF. In fact the whole space from >6000-7FFF is RAM in that scenario.